Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2008, 05:15 PM   #1

Help with Diopter/Focus.

This is my first post so I hope y'all can give a newbie a hand.

I am at a loss. I cannot see clearly through my viewfinder. No matter where I set the diopter I get extremely blurry results when peeking through at my subject. I do wear glasses but this has never been an issue in the past. Interestingly enough, when I snap a photo using autofocus then the picture turns out crisp and in focus! So I think the lens and the sensor are fine.

I have tried all three of my lenses, made sure they were on tightly, adjusted all diopter settings, tried focusing in on various subjects at different distances in good lighting and I still can not get see clearly through the viewfinder, even though my shots turn out fine.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there any camera setting that I may have bungled? The camera has not had any "trauma" at least not in the past several months. Any advice appreciated!

03-09-2008, 02:59 PM   #2

I have the same problem on a K10D.

No matter how I move the diopter, it doesn't focus.. infact, it doesn't seem to change anything at all.. no more blurry or less blurry, just the same. I'm thinking maybe my diopter is broke?

If I use the focusing light within the camera, the pictures come out perfect, but they appear blurry to me.
03-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
what is your perscription.

I have a -3.75 diopter perscription, (for distance) and this has the adjustment at the limit.

I wear my glasses when I use the camera and generally have the diopter set neutral because even with my perscription, it is not comfortable to continually switch.
03-09-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
DAZ
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The easiest way I know to tell someone how to do this is with the lens cap on. Make the camera internal display turn on then use that as what to look at when you adjust the Diopter/Focus. When the display is in focus what you see with the lens cap off and the lens in focus should be the same. This way your not distracted by what the lens sees and trying to fight 2 systems into focus. Now not everyone eyes can get the camera in focus without some help (glasses or other aides) so your mileage may vary.

Then again the eye lens maybe dirty.

DAZ

03-09-2008, 07:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DAZ Quote
The easiest way I know to tell someone how to do this is with the lens cap on. Make the camera internal display turn on then use that as what to look at when you adjust the Diopter/Focus. When the display is in focus what you see with the lens cap off and the lens in focus should be the same. This way your not distracted by what the lens sees and trying to fight 2 systems into focus. Now not everyone eyes can get the camera in focus without some help (glasses or other aides) so your mileage may vary.

Then again the eye lens maybe dirty.

DAZ
I use the look at a clear sky and adjust for best focus on the viewfinder lines, myself. I have to use two separate settings: one for my contact lenses, the second for my prescription. I really don't like using the glasses because they are varifocal, and if I have the eye the slightest bit off where I set the diopter everything is blurry.

I second the idea that perhaps the eyepiece is smudged. It happens easily to me, and often.