Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 02:14 AM   #1

The next lenses are needed...

Being extremely enthusiastic using the K5, I would like to complement my DA18-135WR. I´m looking for a fast 50mm-lens and a fast tele-lens. One of the lenses should be suited for Macro.

Hoping that Pentax will offer a digital FF-Cam soon, I would like to invest only in FA-/DFA-lenses, although this means renouncing the feature weatherresistance, which I appreciate about my current combination K5 + DA18-135WR.

Would you say, the addition DFA100/2,8WR and FA50/1,4 is a good decision or would you recommend other lenses?

Thanks a lot!

Taurus-Berlin

03-08-2012, 04:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Taurus-Berlin,
If you value WR lenses why don't you get the DA*55 mm F/1.4 lens? Its fast and a WR lens. I know that B and H and Adoroma Photography Stores and website carry this lens. Purchase it through the Pentax Forums link so that you and PF can get credit for your purchase.
03-08-2012, 05:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA*55 f/1.4 and DFA 100mm macro WR
03-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If you are only investing in FF lenses because you want a FF camera, you would do better to invest in Canon or Nikon. There is no guarantee that Pentax plans a full frame.

03-08-2012, 07:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Aboard!

The FA50/1.4 is an excellent lens and since you have WR already with the 18-135 and changing lenses in the rain or wet is a BAD idea WR for the 50 is redundant. Add to that the 50 costs, on average, around $250 and the 55 costs around $650 its just not a hard choice IMHO - the 50/1.4. Plus the 50/1.4 is ready for FF as you stated was one of your requirements. I'd also recommend that you look at some manual focusing lenses as they can be excellent choices and much cheaper options too.

On the 100WR, I would recommend that you read this article if you haven't already:
Tamron 90mm Macro vs Pentax 100mm WR: Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com
03-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your replies!

@ V’cuz,TOUGEFC: The DA*’s are unfortunately unsuitable to FF.

@Wheatfield: I’m very happy being back at the Pentax-crowd as stated here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/165196-going-back-my-roots.html? .

I'm doing very fine with the K5, but in a few years when we're all wondering who was life possible with 16 megapixel, I want to get a mid-class full frame and I really hope, it will be a Pentax.... (@ all: Please accept, that I don’t want to open a new discussion about FF in this thread).

I want to avoid buying DA/ DA*’s because I want to

- minimize my risk of mistaken investment if I will have to act on yours - Wheatfield's - device to change to a “Niknon”-FF later on,

- vote by buying (maybe not a good translation of the German phrasing Abstimmung per Umsatz) for the FF-stuff to let Pentax see, that there's some insistent demand for FF.

@ Docrwm: Yes, I read that “Tamron 90 vs. Pentax 100”-thread, but the WR-feature, the metal-haptic and the Pentax-logo is it worth it . And your thoughts about the FA50/1,4 are nearly mine, indeed…
03-08-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Pentaxian

FA50/1.4
FA43ltd
FA31ltd
FA77ltd

IMHO, you won't ever go wrong with any of the above.
FF compatible
Well built
Very good optically
Some of the best that Pentax has to offer
Always easy to sell off if you ever need to
03-08-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Taurus-Berlin Quote
Thank you very much for your replies!

@ V’cuz,TOUGEFC: The DA*’s are unfortunately unsuitable to FF.

@Wheatfield: I’m very happy being back at the Pentax-crowd as stated here

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/welcomes-introductions/165196-going-back-my-roots.html? .

I'm doing very fine with the K5, but in a few years when we're all wondering who was life possible with 16 megapixel, I want to get a mid-class full frame and I really hope, it will be a Pentax.... (@ all: Please accept, that I don’t want to open a new discussion about FF in this thread).

I want to avoid buying DA/ DA*’s because I want to

- minimize my risk of mistaken investment if I will have to act on yours - Wheatfield's - device to change to a “Niknon”-FF later on,

- vote by buying (maybe not a good translation of the German phrasing Abstimmung per Umsatz) for the FF-stuff to let Pentax see, that there's some insistent demand for FF.

@ Docrwm: Yes, I read that “Tamron 90 vs. Pentax 100”-thread, but the WR-feature, the metal-haptic and the Pentax-logo is it worth it . And your thoughts about the FA50/1,4 are nearly mine, indeed…
You will find the 100mm pentax macro a happy lens. I've got the FA version but I think the optics are the same on the newer version.
it does good work, and find it to be fairly happy with the new Pentax ring flash as well.

03-09-2012, 12:35 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Taurus-Berlin Quote
The DA*’s are unfortunately unsuitable to FF.
The DA*55 has been tested on FF and has been confirmed fine, only the AF that doesnt work