Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Sigma, Pentax or Samyang?

So I want to try a Fisheye! I'm debating between the Samyang (nad other rebranded lenses) 8mm Fisheye, the Pentax 10-17mm, and the Sigma Rectilinear 8-16.
I already have the DA 12=24, and its my favourite lens by far. BUT I WANT WIDER! lol, what would you reccommend? I dont know if Im creative enough to warrant a Fisheye. The pentax is about $500, Samyang $350, and Sigma $750. The money doesnt bug me as much as value for the dollar. If I get one does that leave My Pentax redundant? or is it a different animal than these?

03-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The samyang produces very nice photos, with fisheye you don't need autofocus. The only downside is the weight. At one time I was thinking of getting it, because it represents excellent good value for money.
03-08-2012, 09:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter

If the Sigma is "rectilinear", it's not a fisheye, so cancel that one.

You can check out the "Fisheye fever" thread for real life samples.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/33549-fisheye-fever-club-flaun...ye-photos.html
03-08-2012, 09:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
If the Sigma is "rectilinear", it's not a fisheye, so cancel that one.

You can check out the "Fisheye fever" thread for real life samples.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/33549-fisheye-fever-club-flaun...ye-photos.html
I get that its not a fisheye. But does 8mm Rectilinear = 10mm Fisheye for wideness? Does IQ change between them at somepoint? Hopefully someone who has owed at least one of these lenses can give me a subjective answer.

I am very comfortable with MF, I usually turn AF off for HDR so it doesnt "refocus" alternate shots anyway

03-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Zav
Pentaxian

Rectilinear = no fish eye effect with extreme curvature = not what you want.
03-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #6

Original Poster
Very insightful Pentaxians... Thank you for all the helpful input! Lol... yes we have established the fact that the Sigma is rectilinear, but how do the Fixed Samyang (or other branding) lenses stack up against the Pentax?
03-09-2012, 09:54 PM - 1 Like   #7

The proper fisheyes have 180 degrees diagonal view angle. In rectilinear projection, it is impossible to achieve this view angle so no matter what the rectilinear focal length is, it's always not as wide as fisheye.

Also, extreme wide rectilinear lenses produce unpleasant (for my liking) distortion effects near borders, where objects are stretched along radial direction and thus look unproportional. I think 12mm (cropped) is more than enough for wide angle, in fact even 15mm seems too wide for me, but maybe it's just me...

Anyway, about the 10-17 and 8mm lenses. As I said in another thread, the 8mm is a one trick pony - it's only good if you want to shoot the surroundings without focusing on particular object - the resulting shots are sharp across the frame, and the projection is such that no part of the frame has significantly changed proportions of objects. Also note that 8mm has pretty distant minimum focusing distance which augments the fact that it's not as good as Pentax 10-17 if you want to put an accent on some particular object.

Pentax 10-17mm is more traditional projection fisheye - it compresses the objects near frame borders (along radial direction) unlike rectilinear projection that stretches them. This means that central objects are much more detailed than objects closer to the borders. It also has very close minimum focusing distance so you can make artistic shots. Also the zooming ability allows to get shots that look more like rectilinear wide angle at 17mm end which makes it more versatile.

So, if you know you want Samyang 8mm (e.g. you need it to get detailed surrounding shots ONLY), get it. If not, you are more likely to prefer Pentax 10-17mm instead, unless you prefer 8mm's projection.
03-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #8

Original Poster
I was hoping to use whichever lens for creative architectural shots or creative landscape. I'm not sure if I'm after resolution across the frame or closer focal distance. Thank you for your input, it is very insightful!

03-09-2012, 11:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Kurly One Quote
But does 8mm Rectilinear = 10mm Fisheye for wideness?
No. Check specs on B&H site - they include the FOV of each lens in degrees. With fisheye designs, the focal length doesn't tell you much about FOV. For example, the DA 10-17 (fisheye) has a wider perspective at 17mm than the DA 12-24 (rectilinear, non-fisheye) at 12mm.

but how do the Fixed Samyang (or other branding) lenses stack up against the Pentax?
From what I've seen, the Samyang 8 is probably a bit sharper than the DA 10-17@10. The DA 10-17 seems to have more chromatic aberration too. The Samyang 8 has a somewhat less distorted image, because of its sterographic projection. Take the DA 10-17 for the zoom convenience, or the Samyang 8 if you want the best fisheye.

Here's my review of the Samyang: Laur's photo blog: Samyang/Bower 8/3.5 fisheye
03-09-2012, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I was hoping to use whichever lens for creative architectural shots or creative landscape.
You mean, like this?

This is the Samyang.
03-11-2012, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
From what I've seen, the Samyang 8 is probably a bit sharper than the DA 10-17@10. The DA 10-17 seems to have more chromatic aberration too.
This is probably correct. I don't have any first-hand experience of the Samyang, but the DA 10-17 is not particularly sharp (although it's adequate for most purposes). The 10-17 is very weak on CA (although most of the CA can be significantly reduced in post). What the DA 10-17 has going for it is superb flare control and light transmission, leading to images with rich, vivid color and excellent micro contrast.
03-11-2012, 03:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

or something like this ? DA 10-17

or something like this ? Sigma 8-16

03-11-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or even something like this (8mm Samyang):

Notice that the coatings are not the greatest, will flare up under certain conditions...
03-11-2012, 06:09 PM   #14

Original Poster
you guys are killing me.... I really like the rectilinear shot, I think if I get a Fisheye then it will be the samyang... but I still lust for the Sigma... ugh...
03-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
What the DA 10-17 has going for it is superb flare control and light transmission, leading to images with rich, vivid color and excellent micro contrast.
That can be said about the Samyang as well. Here is an example of flare control: