Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 03:50 AM   #31
axl
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to own both lenses and they are both great in their own merit:

DA*55:
It's bigger, heavier, built of plastic but of such grade that it feels as solid as the ltd and it has no wobbles. It's WR and SDM.
With the lens cap and the hood on, the 43ltd can stand on top of the lens cap and be still entirely within the DA*'s hood!
AF is good. A lot of folks say it's slow but in real life it's as fast as the Ltds. Is it precise? I'd say it depends a lot on camera you use and on your expectations of what 55/1.4 means in terms of DOF. For my use, it was spot on most of the time. In my case the speed and accuracy was limited by K-7s abilities and poor light. Sharpness of this lens is not to be underrated, just flick through DA* club and you'll see. Rendering is very similar to that of 43 but with the differences of longer lens with thinner DOF. Very important thing here is that DA* has rounded aperture blades which does make a difference.

FA43:
I have gone through 4 copies of this lens. I kept selling it due to financial reasons and because 55 went better with my 24.
but the rendering qualities of this lens are stunning IMO. 43 is probably the best one lens combo for Pentax I've tried. The lens is small, light and superbly built. On the down side, the aperture ring tends to get wobbly over the time and the moving elements are not protected by the hood as with the DA*. Also many 43s are prone to ninja star effects when shot between f2.2 and 2.8. Sharpness wise it's splitting hair between the two.

In the end, here are few shots, guess which is which and maybe you can make you mind up

06-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can you just solve the riddle and tell us which is which? I'm really curious to learn!
06-05-2014, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zeitlos Quote
Can you just solve the riddle and tell us which is which? I'm really curious to learn!
I have exify for Firefox reporting, so I'll just tell you:

FA43 = #1@f2.2, #2@f1.9, #6@f1.9, #8@f2.8
FA55 = #3@f1.4, #4@f2.0, #5@f1.4, #7@f1.6

06-06-2014, 06:24 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I don't think a 35mm lens is going to give you much benefit over your 16-45 for your intended purposes as they are not long/fast enough for portrait use. The 43ltd would work nicely with your 12-24 and leave a hole in the 70mm range for later. The 55mm would be good to pair up with the 31ltd later on. Both will give you a fast portrait option you currently lack. Of course your intended purpose is not portrait but landscape, however then whats point of a 35 that trades marginal improvement for less versatility?
Don't be put out by the weird focal length of the 43ltd, Its actually one of its greatest strengths. Primes will force you to move your feet anyway and the 43 sits at a point where you can do anything with it, great for creativity (although there is a learning curve). The 55 on the other hand is a natural focal length for portraits on aps-c so a lot less learning to do, You can also use it to smooth out backgrounds whereas the 43 generally leave the background semi recognisable (how i like it)
As for landscapes the 43ltd is an interesting one. The lens has a warmth that is superb during golden hours but for bright light shooting I prefer the vibrant colours of my da 21ltd(consider the 40ltd). Skin tones are great with the 43 mind you.
May as well post some photos to show off the 43.
Landscape

portrait @f4.5

@f1.9

06-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
May as well post some photos to show off the 43.
That second landscape shot with the purple flowers is awesome. I've got the FA 43 as well. I need to take more landscape shots with it.
06-07-2014, 10:10 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robjmitchell Quote
As for landscapes the 43ltd is an interesting one

Rob-- thanks so much for bringing up this topic: the 31mm seems to get all the love for landscape applications, to the point that finding FA43 examples, even on Flickriver, is a bit tough. A question: at what aperture(s) did you shoot the first two photo's? The reason I ask is that a reviewer on the B&H site alluded to the 43's propensity for gnarly bokeh when stopped down a bit (under certain lighting conditions), so I'm curious if that's been your experience.

At any rate, I just filled the gap between my DA21 and DA70 with a 28mm; the 43, then, would divide up that FOV with geometric precision...

Last edited by CreationBear; 06-07-2014 at 11:01 AM.
06-07-2014, 10:53 AM   #37
Pentaxian

This is something I am looking at too, for a fast ~50mm lens for my K-01.
I had the FA43 previously with my old K-7, its a lovely built lens but I found the bokeh not as smooth as I would like but it is quite sharp, very lightweight/small.
I quite like the focal length, I find that 50mm is sort of an 'inbetween' length on crop, something a little longer (55mm/58mm) or shorter like the 43mm is a good option.
Currently looking at the Voigtlander 58mm f1.4 Nokton as an alternative to the DA*55/FA43

Also OOF highlights are rendered hexagonal:

The upside of that is that stopped down it does long exposure/lights really nicely:

Flare is not too bad either:
06-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #38
Veteran Member

The 43ltd struggles with high contrast backgrounds like leaves and branches above f2.8. This is not uncommon for most lenses of course. It doesn't have the dreamy bokeh that the 31ltd does but if you understand distancing your subject from the appropriate background then the bokeh is going to be nice. What really makes the 43ltd stand out is its performance from f2.8 to F5.6. Its exceptional centre sharpness and micro-contrast produces amazing 3d qualities in photos. That being said the pixies in the 43ltd like to party hard so you never know when they are going come out and spread their pixie dust around. You will take lots of ordinary shots with the 43ltd but the best shots just blow you away. The 43 also has quite a long minimum focusing distance which can be annoying if you don't have a macro. Still its by far my favourite lens.
Some 3D flowers for you

06-07-2014, 05:42 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Thanks so much for elaborating...and who needs FF when you've got pixies doing their thing: those flower photos are (almost literally) unreal. If I understand correctly, it seems as if the 43 is something of a "portrait" thoroughbred when you need a sharply-defined, individual subject to "pop"--the 31 (or various Zeiss paperweights) might be more consistent performers if you're concerned with rendering "layers" in the middle distance and beyond.
06-07-2014, 06:25 PM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
Thanks so much for elaborating...and who needs FF when you've got pixies doing their thing: those flower photos are (almost literally) unreal. If I understand correctly, it seems as if the 43 is something of a "portrait" thoroughbred when you need a sharply-defined, individual subject to "pop"--the 31 (or various Zeiss paperweights) might be more consistent performers if you're concerned with rendering "layers" in the middle distance and beyond.
I gather the 43ltd is designed as a photojournalism lens, Highlighting the subject while portraying them in their surroundings, so your description is quite apt. The 31ltd is on the other hand a landscape lens with miraculous bokeh.
06-25-2014, 01:30 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CreationBear Quote
The reason I ask is that a reviewer on the B&H site alluded to the 43's propensity for gnarly bokeh when stopped down a bit (under certain lighting conditions), so I'm curious if that's been your experience.

Yes, the FA43 is kind of difficult to handle in certain situations... if you want to see it in pictures, have a look at this site. It might be German but I'm sure you'll understand what is meant when you look at the pictures.

FA43: Kann einem so ein Bokeh mit JEDER Linse passieren? • Pentaxians

I've been struggling at first when I did my first shoots using this lens, but soon I fell in love with it...
I love how it renders for portraits, I love its bokeh...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/the-living-years/8224936344/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/the-living-years/7357399718/

And I love its focal length. From time to time I'm thinking of buying the DA*55 1.4. But I never could give away the FA43 1.9. In my opinion it's the best Pentax lens that has ever been built...