Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 08:05 AM - 5 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA40XS Lens Tested on Film (MZ-S + DA40XS on Kodak Gold 200)

Tested the new DA40XS lens on film camera last Sat just to see if the lens works okay on FF film camera. Here is the setup:

I finished the whole roll in one hour around my place, all are just quick snaps. And it's after 6pm just around the time when the Sun was going down. Sky was pretty doll too, so please don't judge too much on the photo quality. I just wanted to test if the lens had any problem working on FF film cameras.
Here is the whole roll, 36.8 shots (the last shot got a black bar on the right 'cause film finished already):

Looking at the scanned results, I'd say the lens works pretty well on FF film camera

I'd post all the 36.8 shots below, no cropping or vignetting adjustment on any photo, except some level and saturation adjustment (the scanned results are way too saturated )

------------------------------------

These two are the first two snaps from our window, first one was shot at F8, the second was wide open at F2.8, you can see there is just a little bit vignetting on the wide open photo, not very obvious at all:

Thanks to these two fellow Pentaxians who took the short walk together with me:

The rest of the whole roll film:

Thanks to our Penatx friends who took the short walk with me, and sorry for the funny color, can't help from my side

03-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, how about that! Excellent series results. +1
03-09-2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Nice! Hey Frank, any places "over there" that sell the little plug that goes in the MZ-S remote socket? If so, PM me so I can buy one!
03-09-2012, 11:03 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Well, how about that! Excellent series results. +1
Thanks. I'm sure the lens can do better

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Nice! Hey Frank, any places "over there" that sell the little plug that goes in the MZ-S remote socket? If so, PM me so I can buy one!
Hmm, I really don't know where to look. The best way to get it is to buy another MZ-S?

03-10-2012, 02:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Good to know, thanks! I guess I will get the 40mm XS instead of the limited XD
03-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #6
Inactive Account

I wonder if part of the design criteria for the Pentax Optical team was to ensure it covers "FULL FRAME"?
(said without intending to start another one of those"When will we get a new full frame casmera?" discussions)
03-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #7

Hah - the mz-s with the 40mm looks like a body builder who took steroids for to long!
Thanks for the test! Good to know it works on full frame.

03-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #8

What an effort, Frank! Great job!
I guess people who got their DA40 limited are now 'betrayed' by Pentax, 'cause it seems that DA40XS is equally good as DA40limited. It is great news that Pentax gives such high quality kit lens with K-01.
Nice move, Pentax!
03-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Good to know this little new guy preforms well in FF
03-11-2012, 11:55 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Veteran Member

Looks good! Thanks for the samples. A small crop and it's a perfect FF lens.

It obviously doesn't perform flawlessly in the corners wide open. I'd not call it a FF lens because of the corners (only wide open?), look at the image with the two children playing on that big ring, the lower left corner shows some problems.

Will this lens be sold separately?
03-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Good news. But the DA40mm ltd still looks much nicer than the DX40. =)

Lee
03-11-2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Looks good! Thanks for the samples. A small crop and it's a perfect FF lens.

It obviously doesn't perform flawlessly in the corners wide open. I'd not call it a FF lens because of the corners (only wide open?), look at the image with the two children playing on that big ring, the lower left corner shows some problems.

Will this lens be sold separately?
Pentax DA 40mm f/2.8 XS Lens 22137 B&H Photo Video

It's already being sold separately, yes.
03-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fikkser Quote
Do you even know what you're talking about?
The fact that that this lens can be used on a 35mm film camera without any obvious image vignetting shows that the image circle projected by the lens does indeed cover FF.

What you are seeing with the slightly darkened corners in the photo you refer to is light falloff. This is present in all lenses to varying degrees and disappears when the lens is stopped down to a smaller aperture.

The DA40/DA40XS is a Tessar design which delivers even resolution but isn't the best lens design if a large maximum aperture is needed.
03-11-2012, 02:42 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Do you even know what you're talking about?
The fact that that this lens can be used on a 35mm film camera without any obvious image vignetting shows that the image circle projected by the lens does indeed cover FF.

What you are seeing with the slightly darkened corners in the photo you refer to is light falloff. This is present in all lenses to varying degrees and disappears when the lens is stopped down to a smaller aperture.

The DA40/DA40XS is a Tessar design which delivers even resolution but isn't the best lens design if a large maximum aperture is needed.
It obviuously covers FF, but I think the corners shows that it's not optimized for FF. The crane images lower corners shows it's very soft in the corners wide open with some vingetting. I would not like to buy a FF lens with that poor corner performance, therefore I don't think it should be called a FF lens even if it's very nice except that. Is the M version showing the same phenomenon wide open?

Look at the 2nd last image, lower left corner. It should in focus more or less but it's distorted and blurry
03-11-2012, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

[[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-11-2013 at 07:37 AM. Reason: [deleted]