Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

DA* 16-50, should I buy now or?

Having used the affordable DA35/2.4 for sometime, I have developed a taste for large aperture and better IQ. I need better WR lenses than my 18-135 and 16-50 makes perfect sense (f2.8 and 16mm wide end) except for the potential SDM failure.

I have pm B & H about their return policy (I am in Singapore) and extended warranty but strangely their communication just stop there when I requested for more details. This is fishy.

What other options do I have? Have any of you bought lenses from B&H and reside out of USA? How is it like when it comes to repair faulty lens?

Last edited by lightbulb; 03-09-2012 at 09:42 AM.
03-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought a used 16-50 from a fellow forum member. I asked them about the SDM and they (naturally honestly) answered that there were none. Since then this is my most used lens due to its quietness, versatility and image quality.

Here in Israel, local Pentax dealer does not respect international warranty. So if I buy something from outside and it needs repair, my only choice is to send it across to the original dealer. There is certain paperwork to do so that when the item is sent back I am not taxed second time over. Because of the hassle that it inevitably entails, I chose not to buy new items abroad. It is either carefully chosen second hand gear or brand new gear bought locally.

Obviously your mileage may be different but I suppose there would be certain similarities between Israel and Singapore in this respect.
03-09-2012, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The DA*16-50 is one of only 2 zooms I regularly use (the other being the DA*50-135), and I recommend it. But don't expect it to be as good as the DA15/4 Ltd (in fact, I can't think of any other wide Pentax lens as good as the DA15).

I use my DA*16-50 when I need a zoom - primarily in the 20-50mm range. Nevertheless, I've still seen many good photos others have taken using the wider end.