Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2008, 03:18 AM   #1

135mm non SMC + Hoya HMC (S-HMC) ?

Quite a lot of negative feedback exists on non-SMC versions of the 135mm F2.5.
Hoya has quite a lot of filters (the more expensive ones) that are multicoated.
My question is whether the addition of a multicoated UV filter can provide better performance on this lens. I do agree that its not a substitute for the actual lens coating, but has anyone tried this out and seen a difference?

01-07-2008, 03:56 AM   #2
mer

coatings dont really help with the lens performace .

But I can see it would help in extreme situations like shooting against light etc ( flare )
01-07-2008, 05:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The non-SMC lens you refer to, the "Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5" is by most all accounts a terrible lens with low contrast, very susceptible to flare when pointed even anywhere near the general direction of the sun, and the price at which you can buy it reflects that.

Most owners consider them marvellous paperweights. I own one, and have a little higher opinion of it than that, but it is still a sub-standard lens. Haven't tried mine with a filter on it. You'll absolutely positively want to use it with a lens hood. It has one built-in, but you're better off with an aftermarket hood.

If you already own it....enjoy it.

If you don't....save your money for something else instead.
01-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In contrast to (no pun intended) the comments on the 135mm tak, I have the SMC version of the 135 f2.5 and find it to be an excellent lens.

I had the choice of this over a bayonette mount tak as both were in the same display case.

I would suggest looking out for an SMC version if you want a fast 135

01-08-2008, 05:24 PM   #5
mer

If the resolution of this lens is good , in controlled environment , then maybe a hoya multicoated may increase contrast and reduce flare problems when shooting against sun etc ... but of course don't expect miracles .

Last edited by mer; 01-08-2008 at 05:57 PM.
01-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You could always do some test shots, high contrst, white and black lettered sign comes to mind, and look at the CA if any exists, as well as with and without filters for contrast.

I'm sure many would be interested in seeing actual results
01-08-2008, 08:52 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

kvish ,
i've had 2 of these, both bought for under $20total..
the 1st one i RANted about how bad it was. to me, it wasn't even worth using as a paper weight. this 2nd copy i have by mistake is a very nice lens.. it's contrast and color is great!!!!
i think you're tossing a coin when you buy one of these.
01-08-2008, 09:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the responses!. I was really tempted by the fact that there are quite a few ones on ebay which are in mint condition going for around $60. A 200mm f2.8 (dslr eq) would have been really nice. Guess I will give this one a pass.

01-08-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
kvish ,
i've had 2 of these, both bought for under $20total..
the 1st one i RANted about how bad it was. to me, it wasn't even worth using as a paper weight. this 2nd copy i have by mistake is a very nice lens.. it's contrast and color is great!!!!
i think you're tossing a coin when you buy one of these.

I also have one, and mine is more like your second copy. I actually like this lens, and it compares nicely to my SMC 135. The extra speed comes in handy, and with a hood, I don't see much difference... The SMC version does maybe have a *bit better contrast, but a minor PP tweak changes that and equalizes the quality, pretty much...

I think 2.5 Tak has an undeservedly bad rep.
01-09-2008, 05:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I don't use that lens very much, but here is the nicest shot I've gotten with it:

01-09-2008, 06:21 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The non-SMC lens you refer to, the "Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5" is by most all accounts a terrible lens with low contrast, very susceptible to flare when pointed even anywhere near the general direction of the sun, and the price at which you can buy it reflects that.

Most owners consider them marvellous paperweights. I own one, and have a little higher opinion of it than that, but it is still a sub-standard lens. Haven't tried mine with a filter on it. You'll absolutely positively want to use it with a lens hood. It has one built-in, but you're better off with an aftermarket hood.

If you already own it....enjoy it.

If you don't....save your money for something else instead.
I have one too, and I kind of enjoy it for its soft low-contrast rendering. You can tell the pictures were taken with a junky old lens.
01-09-2008, 07:21 AM   #12
roy
Inactive Account

nice shot mike.
here's one with mine but with 68mm ETs. giving about a 1:2 macro.