Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2012, 01:05 PM   #1

Save for 31mm or just get the 43mm

Hello,

I'm thinking of getting another lens, right now I just have a K5 with the 18-55 kit lens. So far I'm happy with the kit lens, looking at my pics, I mostly do landscape/arch and close portrait (baby), also macro with the limitations of the 18-55.

I basically want a better glass, I can get the 43mm ltd new for $524, should I go for it, or save a bit more and get the 31, or go for 77/70? I can also get the 40mm ltd for $347, 21mm ltd for $550

Thoughts?

Thanks

03-10-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since you are happy with the results from the kit lens, have you considered going significantly above/below the kit lens' focal length? For example, you could get the DA 15/4 Ltd or maybe the Tamron 90mm macro or Pentax 100mm macro, since you mentioned an interest in macros? Either of the latter two would also do well as a portrait lens.
03-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

So you want a prime lens that fits your shooting style?

Have a look at what kind of focal length you shoot first because there is quite a gap between 21, 31, 43 and 77mm, you can own all four without having the feel that they over lap.
03-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You want macro? But still want something relatively wide? The DA 35 Limited macro sounds like the tool for you. It's not bad as a close up portrait lens either. My preference for macro lenses doubling up as portrait lenses in focal length though would be 50mm for couple/small group portraiture and 100mm for single portraits. Pentax have a DFA 50 macro as well as a DFA 100 macro to suit these needs. There is even a WR version of the 100mm macro lens in case this is a necessity. But anyway, you can't go wrong with any of the FA Limited lenses - I know I personally wouldn't be without them.

03-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

A good one and food for thought would be one of the new 60mm like the new Tamron 60mm F2
Its fast, good for portraits, good for macro and very high image quality even wide open.
seems to cover most of your needs. With enough left over for a wide or the 35mm 2.8 macro..... or cheaper Tokina version.
03-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would recommend basing your choice primarily on focal length. Get the one that would be of most use in your type of photography. That said, the FA Limiteds are a step above the DA Limiteds, IMO, and I am quite certain that you would never regret owning any of them.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Any of the options that you mentioned should serve you well.

Rob
03-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #7
Pentaxian

D FA 100mm WR

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
Since you are happy with the results from the kit lens, have you considered going significantly above/below the kit lens' focal length? For example, you could get the DA 15/4 Ltd or maybe the Tamron 90mm macro or Pentax 100mm macro, since you mentioned an interest in macros? Either of the latter two would also do well as a portrait lens.
Bonsoir,

Just my 2 cents worth here ... the D FA 100mm f/2.8 Macro WR is a fanstatic lens. Great for portraits (at various longer distances, since my 3 year old screams when I get out my K-5), a small-sized medium range telephoto, the obvious (great) macro applications ... plus the weather-sealing is great. This lens is a "WR limited" IMHO.

Ash made a good point about the 50 Macro for group-type protraits, and one can do the same with the 100 Macro ... just need to be a bit further away ... assuming one has that luxury at the snap moment. I take portraits of my three daughters with the 100, but in a larger room indoors or obviously outside.

See the PF members reviews, plus the recent match-up review - Tamron 90mm Macro Comparative Review - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Allez et bon courage, John le Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-10-2012 at 03:03 PM.
03-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi - Great question and a difficult answer

But some other questions to answer first might help you out.
You can choose five prime lenses from pentax and sigma - what are they? Reason for this question is that down the road you may well have five prime lenses and you want this first one to fit in the other other four or five or six.

My first prime for my digital system was the sigma 70mm macro. Now I only use a couple of zooms and mostly primes. I have not got the pentax 77mm which i would love to have because the sigma fills the slot and I feel it is difficult to justify the cost when I have the slot filled.

As a first prime with excellent macro ability I love my 35mm Ltd. It was my first penatx digital prime and got me hooked onto Ltds. I am sure you will love which ever Ltd you get, but I would suggest you do get a Ltd as they all seem to produce the most extraordinary colours.

My favorite walk around lens is my 21Ltd, but most of my best landscapes are taken with my 50-135 pentax zoom. I use the 21Ltd to capture habitat and various environments, but i like a longer focal length for a tighter landscape photo.

Last edited by Bob from Aus; 03-10-2012 at 03:18 PM.
03-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
A good one and food for thought would be one of the new 60mm like the new Tamron 60mm F2
Its fast, good for portraits, good for macro and very high image quality even wide open.
seems to cover most of your needs. With enough left over for a wide or the 35mm 2.8 macro..... or cheaper Tokina version.
Seems like a great versatile lens, but I was under the impression it was not available or K mount. Which is a damn shame because I would have bought one.
03-10-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
Veteran Member

For sharpness and speed (low light ability) you'll be impressed with the DA*55.

But the FA77 is likely to remain your favorite lens, even after you get other great lenses.

Probably the DA*50-135 would also be a great choice at this point.

Any of the above 3 would be a great choice. But you'll also love the FA43 if you get one, I think.

My thought, however, is not to neglect the DA35/2.4 that's already been mentioned for ~$200. And the Cosina 100/3.5 macro is actually quite good for around $100 or so (maybe slightly more with AF, and maybe slightly less without). I still have mine as a backup to my DFA 100 WR macro, which I think is one of the best all-around macros made by any manufacturer. And the upcoming 50/1.8 looks promising too, for a very low price. You could get all 3 for less than the FA43.

The FA31 is a great lens, but it's the most challenging to get nice results out of. Get at least one of these other lenses (or even the DA15) first.

ANY of the lenses I've mentioned here will begin a transformation for you if you haven't used better quality glass before. I think this change will be the most dramatic with the first three - especially the primes, with the DA*50-135 providing the most utility (but being a little less transformative).
03-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tycn Quote
Seems like a great versatile lens, but I was under the impression it was not available or K mount.
Im sure I read somewhere they were bringing it out in Sony and pentax fit.
I hope they have or do because its one lens I wouldnt mind myself.
03-10-2012, 03:31 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Ive just had a look on tamron site. Its certainly not listed for pentax as yet. So I went onto there news site.... grrrrrr no word !
03-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #13

It is indeed available for Sony/Minolta, but that's probably because Sony owns a chunk of Tamron (not to mention they have a fair bit more market share than Pentax).

Edit: too slow.
03-10-2012, 05:42 PM   #14
Veteran Member

why not pick up the Pentax 100 f2.8 WR macro for the same price as the 43Ltd, gives real macro, and telephoto also.
03-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #15

As an owner of both the 31 and 43, get the 43. The 43 is an amazing lens. If you prefer the 31 focal length, get the FA35 instead.