Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
New Lens

My wife said we could get a new lens. we have a digital imaging show we will attend in May. I would like to get a prime lens that does not break my bank.

please could I get some suggestions, that I could research before I buy.

I will be using this lens for general photography, some portraiture, have a wedding to attend in June, good in low light situations.

I know these are broad categories but any help will be great considered.

Thank you.

03-11-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA 35mm f/2.4

Cheap, very good IQ, relatively fast so good for indoor work, cheap, not big or heavy, cheap, catch-all focal length and auto focus (because I'm sure you'll get a ton of older manual focus lens suggestions) . Oh and it's cheap.

In all seriousness though, it's a great introduction to prime lenses. After you've played with it and become addicted you can try out the more expensive range of DA Limited and FA Limited lenses that suite your needs.

Last edited by Sol Invictus; 03-11-2012 at 10:32 AM.
03-11-2012, 10:33 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA 70 f2.4 / FA 77mm f1.8 would both make perfect portrait lenses
03-11-2012, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The basic question to ask when looking for serious lenses is: What do you want to do that you can't do with what you have? And then: Do you want to shoot ultrawide or fisheye, ultralong, macro, moody portraits, birds or sports, 'scapes, or what? Do you have a tight budget? Do you need very small|light lenses, or can you carry great heavy brutes? Are you afraid of manual focus? All these will inform any lens-buying decision.

I have a zillion lenses, and a rationale for accumulating them. In order of necessity:

1) Coverage. My Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, and Lil'Bigma 170-500 cover a lot of territory.
2) Speed. Fast lenses like my FA50/1.4, and manual f/2s at 24-28-35-58-85mm, fill the need.
3) Specialty. My DA10-17 fisheye, and macro lenses, and long mirrors, do special work.
4) Character. I like old slow glass that deliver images that modern lenses just can't.
5) Mania. Whatever cheap optical material I can stuff onto the camera, I want it!

Think about what you want to do, and you'll find lenses that work for you. Good luck!

03-11-2012, 07:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sol Invictus Quote
DA 35mm f/2.4
Another vote for this one. No regrets about it so far, other than buying it new rather than used (customs + shipping + taxes suck!). Silly impatience. And it's AF, of course...I love my MF primes and all, but I'm not that fast with them especially in low light indoor events. My eyesight ain't the greatest either.

These things seem to go fast, too. They had a used one at Henry's online over the past few days, but looks like someone snatched it up already (FINALLY! It kept taunting me with its crazy low price). B&H keeps selling out of them. I saw a couple here in the Marketplace just recently, as well. Though, not sure if someone picked those up either...It's well worth it dude.