Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #1

Lenses for a wedding?

So I'm not sure if the right place, but here's my situation.

A friend asked if I could possibly shoot her wedding this summer. Until a final answer I figured I'd look around, and see what I need. Since I don't have thousands of dollars to shell out on new lenses, I figured I'd rent. After comparing prices, and looking at reviews, I've decided on Camera Lens Rentals. They have a very good rating, and excellent prices.

What I wanted to know, is if what I'm thinking on getting is a good line up.

Potential line up:

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 smcP-FA
Pentax 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF smcP-DA
Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro smcP-D-FA

and for the flash
Pentax AF540FGZ Flash

I've read that you really don't have time to switch out lenses, and since I just have my Kx and don't want to rent another body, I figured I'd keep the number of lenses to a minimum. It's not a huge wedding. The venue is going to be a small art gallery, a hundred guests, including me, the bride and groom plus their maid of honor and best man. The reception is in the same place. I figured the 100mm for the pictures before, the 18-250mm for during the wedding, and 50mm for the reception.

Any advice, or tips you could offer would be great! I much appreciate it, thanks!

03-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Since this is about lenses, it has been moved to the lens discussion forum.
03-11-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think when it comes to types of photography, the one with the most free tips and tutorials available is wedding photography. Personally, though, I think the selection you chose is quite good, just be sure to tell your friend not to expect too much. Not to belittle your skills, but a person doing pro wedding photography for years already knows the poses, camera systems, must-have motives, post processing techniques, all of that stuff, so there is a chance you might not quite deliver all of that.
You might also want a wide prime for group shots, but the zoom pretty much has everything covered. Kind of depends on the location, though. It could help you out if you visited it in advance.
03-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clyoung Quote
Lenses for a wedding?
QuoteOriginally posted by Clyoung Quote
What I wanted to know, is if what I'm thinking on getting is a good line up.

Potential line up:

Pentax 50mm f/1.4 smcP-FA
Pentax 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 ED AL IF smcP-DA
Pentax 100mm f/2.8 Macro smcP-D-FA

and for the flash
Pentax AF540FGZ Flash
Replace the 18~250 and the 100mm macro with the DA*50~135mm - the 100mm macro is a viable piece that could get some use at a wedding but for portrait work the 100mm FR of the DA*50~135mm is as good if not better and it beats the 18~250 hands down in IQ.

A great lens trio for that kind of shooting is:

DA*50~135mm 2.8
FA 50mm 1.4
Sigma 30mm 1.4

The above would be as solid as any kit (less wide wide angles) for K-Mount. As for the flash, I shoot with manual flashes so I can't give any insight on the AF540...

03-12-2012, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Camera Lens Rentals is a great place to rent from. Top quality product - they obviously care about their equipment as every time I received a lens from them it looked to be in mint condition.

As for shooting with the 50 or any other prime, I typically shoot with 2-3 bodies, so I can keep a lens on a body (particularly specialty lenses like a fish-eye or wide angle). If you don't have other bodies, I'd think carefully about which lens will become your primary and when will you need to switch (based on type of venue and the events taking place). This would impact your lens selection process. However, don't underestimate your distances. A 50mm can be extremely limiting when you have 100 people crowded around you.

I'd stay far away from variable aperture lenses. All super zooms - i.e. the 18-250, have variable apertures and for typical indoor venues, where lighting is typically focused/limited/poor, the last thing you want is a variable aperture lens messing you up as you zoom in and out.

Based on the venue as you describe it, the 100 Macro will be of limited use as well. Perhaps good for a few long shots from the back of the venue (assuming you can get enough distance), maybe some macro shots, but that's likely it.

For the wedding ceremony itself, the DA*50-135 (f/2.8) is a great lens to shoot with. I'd team that up with the DA*16-50 (f/2.8) to cover the lower range.

For the reception (assuming dancing and other typical wedding happenings), you should likely stick to wide angle lenses. I typically use the DA*16-50 and a Pentax DA12-24 or similar.

I use the AF540 - great flash, great features, definitely NOT the flash to use without plenty of practice time.
03-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #6

Hi!
I think your choices are quite good. The flash is excellent and can be used off camera as a slave. The week point is the 18-250mm zoom because I'm not sure you would get the image quality - besides I don't think you will need to go that long. The Pentax 16-45mm F4 DA is a good lens for group shots but remove the hood when using on camera flash at the wide end. As someone else said the DA* 50-135mm is an excellent lens and should cover the remaining range that you would need.

Ozzy_mate
03-13-2012, 04:56 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Ditch the 18-250, it's not fast enough (for focus Or for aperture) for a wedding.

Get a good 16, 17 or 18-50 (Sigma, Pentax, Tamron) f2,8. The 50-135 f2,8 from Pentax is great advice too. A 50 f1,4 (or a used 50 f1,7) would be a good idea for very low light.

I own the DFA 100 macro WR and would gladly use it for weddings, it's quite compact and reliable. But since you don't own it and need to rent anyway, the 50-135 would be a better choice.

Verify if you will be allowed to use a flash, that's far from guaranteed.

Good luck!
03-13-2012, 05:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I haven't done any weddings, thank G*d but have done indoor events. Doing indoor venues with poor lighting the f-stop of the lens and whether its constant or variable becomes critical. I think George Lama has given you the best advice, since you plan to rent and rental costs are fairly similar across many lenses, I'd stick with the 2 f2.8 constant aperture zooms, the DA12-24 (its f4 but still constant), plus a very low light lens like the FA50/1.4 or a Sigma 30/1.4 might even be better in a small space.

03-13-2012, 03:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote

DA*50~135mm 2.8
FA 50mm 1.4
Sigma 30mm 1.4

The above would be as solid as any kit (less wide wide angles) for K-Mount. As for the flash, I shoot with manual flashes so I can't give any insight on the AF540...
Yep, I can second that list! That's a rock solid setup.
As far as the flash goes, you're better off to get the Metz AF50 or AF58. The AF50 is an incredible value for the money... I've owned the AF540, but probably never will again. If that tells you anything. It's not bad, it's just that the Metz flashes are so much better.
03-13-2012, 04:23 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joe.penn Quote
Replace the 18~250 and the 100mm macro with the DA*50~135mm - the 100mm macro is a viable piece that could get some use at a wedding but for portrait work the 100mm FR of the DA*50~135mm is as good if not better and it beats the 18~250 hands down in IQ.

DA*50~135mm 2.8
FA 50mm 1.4
Sigma 30mm 1.4
Thirded. It'd be good to get something wide like the 15mm f4 in there too.
03-13-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I'd suggest 2 bodies with a 16-50 and flash on one, and a 50-135 on the other. No lens changes necessary which is an advantage not to be underestimated for a novice wedding 'tog.