Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ikarus Quote
Here's an M 1.7 for 50$ shipped.
Thanks for the link! However, the free shipping is only within US, for me the shipping costs an extra $24.16. Ill see how the bidding goes, though, and maybe go for it anyway

03-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
Veteran Member

How about saving up a bit and buy the new 50 1.8 that Pentax is coming out with. You get the convenience of modern features such as SMC and autofocus, and the peace of mind of a new lens. Not to mention it will go so well with your 35 2.4
03-14-2012, 02:25 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Verglace Quote
How about saving up a bit and buy the new 50 1.8 that Pentax is coming out with. You get the convenience of modern features such as SMC and autofocus, and the peace of mind of a new lens. Not to mention it will go so well with your 35 2.4
That's an excellent suggestion. If its as good as the 35/2.4 it'll be a very solid addition.
03-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget that the Tak 55/2 is optically the same as the 55/1.8 and so is a great lens at an often cheaper price. I love mine

03-15-2012, 05:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The reason I don't want a digital-type lens is that they often don't have workable distance scales and the MF is rather poor. The bokeh is often harsh and nervous, too. I do like that Pentax lenses have low CA and distortion, though. Maybe the new 50mm will drop prices of old ones, though, so I might have to look out for that. But right now I am trying to make a deal on a Pentax M on ebay.
03-15-2012, 06:03 AM   #21
Pentaxian

I have owned all three Rikenon 50s (f/2, 1.7 and 1.4 with Sears label) and they are all quite sharp. They do not like strong backlighting, some flare will reduce contrast, but in most images they are excellent. I paid $16 for the f/2, $36 for the 1.7 and about $60 for the Sears (the last two have a closer focus distance than the f/2). The Pentax are better options if affordable, as the Rikenons do not have click-stops between settings on the aperture ring.
03-15-2012, 09:52 AM   #22
Veteran Member

There are lots of decent cheap 50s around. EBay isn't the only source- look in thrift stores, at garage sales, etc. Sometimes you can even score deals at pawn shops and camera stores. One camera store I visit occasionally has a shelf of 50s priced at $10, and some of those are OK.

I wouldn't agonize about which one to buy. Just get something that's decent and cheap. Use that as a baseline for comparison purposes and for deciding whether you really want to pursue fast 50s at all. Decide for yourself whether the special qualities people claim various lenses have are real or relevant to your needs.

I know there are endless soap operas about bokeh, sharpness wide open, blah blah blah. The fact is most 50s will make perfectly decent pictures, so just buy something and do it!

Cheers.

03-15-2012, 10:19 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll just say I've taken some really good images with the M50 f2 lens. Color response seems great.
Fly | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
carpenter bee | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Verbena | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

That said, I'd like to get an A version - or the 1.7 A version for convenience.
03-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #24
Veteran Member

For those rummaging around in rummage sales, thrift shops, garage|trunk sales, pawnshops, etc, allow me to recommend: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html
03-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #25
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
For those rummaging around in rummage sales, thrift shops, garage|trunk sales, pawnshops, etc, allow me to recommend: PAWNSHOP LENSES (and other used lenses) - A Buyers' Guide
For those who have no interest in buying lenses, I'd still recommend reading RioRico's guide. It is well written and very funny.
03-15-2012, 02:02 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Don't read Rico's guide, there are never any good deals to be found, just go about your normal business - nothing to see here.......
03-15-2012, 02:19 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'll just say I've taken some really good images with the M50 f2 lens. Color response seems great.
Nice shots! Thats the style that I am going after.

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
For those rummaging around in rummage sales, thrift shops, garage|trunk sales, pawnshops, etc, allow me to recommend: PAWNSHOP LENSES (and other used lenses) - A Buyers' Guide
Thanks!

I have now bought a Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 online and am eagerly awaiting for its arrival! It will take a while, though
03-15-2012, 02:34 PM   #28
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Don't read Rico's guide, there are never any good deals to be found, just go about your normal business - nothing to see here.......
Actually there is some truth to this: you can't find any cheap lenses to buy, Rico gets there first. And if not him, somebody else from the forum manages to get them. Certainly not me.
03-15-2012, 02:36 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MSL Quote
Actually there is some truth to this: you can't find any cheap lenses to buy, Rico gets there first. And if not him, somebody else from the forum manages to get them. Certainly not me.
I rest my case.
03-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'll reiterate my guidelines for lens purchases.

1) If it costs less than a sandwich or burger, grab it. If it costs more than a supreme pizza, think hard about it. If it costs more than a fine dinner with your partner, ask here! (Buying lenses instead of burgers or pizzas is a great weight-control program.)

2) Bid low; bid often; lose 99% of auctions; don't worry, another will come along momentarily.

3) Once you've got focal-range coverage, look for speed. Once you've got speed, look for specialties (macro, fisheye, mirror, etc). Once you've got specialties, look for character (old slow glass). Once you've got character covered, go hog-wild.

4) The best deals come from sellers who don't know jack-sh!t about photo gear. Learn all you can -- make information asymmetry work for you.

5) Almost any cheap lens is worth buying. If it doesn't pan out, hang onto it for a few months and sell it at a profit.

I've hardly bought any lenses recently, maybe 4 this year, so don't blame me for monopolizing the current stock. Blame all those NEX owners. Especially the ones who read my guide.