Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 01:39 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Merci

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Bonjour,

@ Steve et @ m42man,

Merci encore messieurs!

A+, J Frog

03-18-2012, 02:44 PM   #47

Can see you have many suggestions already, but I'd second M/A 50mm 1.7 / 1.8, or the Helios 44 (whatever version) but the stop down/aperture ring being at the front of the lens is a bit weird.
03-23-2012, 03:19 PM   #48

Hi guys sorry to hijack this thread.
But i have just won a bid on ebay for the super takumar 50mm 1.4 and was wondering what would be a good m42 to k mount adapter.
The original pentax adapter is hard to find from where I m (singapore) and was wondering if there's any gd 3rd party adapter?
03-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #49

The roxsen adapter looks decent but have anyone tried them?
M42 Lens to Pentax K Mount Adapter Infinity K100D K-x | eBay

03-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Nice buy! Um, try finding a genuine Pentax adapter on ebay. I read up on these things some time ago and I read that third party adapters have some problems (they are hard to remove, might not allow infinity focusing, etc.)
03-23-2012, 06:00 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Nice buy! Um, try finding a genuine Pentax adapter on ebay. I read up on these things some time ago and I read that third party adapters have some problems (they are hard to remove, might not allow infinity focusing, etc.)
I wrote a review (which I can't find now) of adapters. Basic story:

Everyone with just one or a very few M42 lenses should own just one safe not-cheap Official Pentax adapter; the Roxsen version is said to be a good substitute. These adapters are meant to be mounted on the camera; then the lens is screwed into it, or unscrewed for replacement. These adapters are easily removed from the camera.

Those of us with many screwmount lenses tend to buy batches of the cheap Bower-type clone adapters. Like the Official Pentax, these have a narrow flange and can reach infinity focus. These adapters have a troublesome clip-and-screw assembly that causes them to jam onto the camera. We generally remove the clip and screw, and use a PK rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten the adapter onto the lens. We then use the lens as if it were a native PK bayonet mount.

Another type of adapter is cheap, safe (it can't get stuck), but has a wide flange that won't allow infinity focus. I use these in certain situations: on macro bellows or tubes; on long tele lenses that may focus PAST infinity; for shoots where I don't care about infinity, like for macro or closeup or portrait work. I might use such a NIF (no infinity focus) adapter with a longer lens to force me to look at closer subjects, and to let me use CIF (catch-in-focus).

More can be said of adapters, but those are the basics. Have fun!
03-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #52

I did some research on those too. Roxsen adapter are so cheap on ebay now, $7.50 including shipping was thinking of converting the lens to a k mount like u mentioned.
But i have only gotten 1 m42 lens so far, have yet to receive it tho. N it's very hard to come by in Singapore unless someone can get 1 from pentax usa and ship it over to me

03-24-2012, 01:51 AM   #53
Veteran Member

I'll add my two cents to this fast fifty discussion.

For your first fifty imo get a K mount 55/1.8, 55/2, 50/1.7 or 50/1.4. These are outstanding all around lenses that sell anywhere from $25-$125ish (A50f1.4). Takumars are great but there are times I want the convenience of K mount for quick swaps. I prefer to have a takumar set and shoot Takumars that day instead of using the adapters. Someday I need to add a 20/24mm takumar though since 35mm's is a little limiting on the wide end (the DA15 accompanies on Takumar days). The other benefit of the M and A series is that they share a 49mm filter thread with the rest of the DA ltds (and Takumars).

My bower adapter sucked even after removing the set screw. Mine got stuck on a lens and wouldn't mount on my camera securely w/o the retaining clip. The pentax works perfect although it sucks getting it shipped outside the US. Mine came in a care package with 6 other lenses so shipping was alright.

I also want lenses like the helios because they add a little character to the photos. but this would be as a 2nd or 3rd (or tenth...) fast fifty.
03-24-2012, 01:54 AM   #54
Pentaxian

Merci

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I wrote a review (which I can't find now) of adapters. Basic story:

Everyone with just one or a very few M42 lenses should own just one safe not-cheap Official Pentax adapter; the Roxsen version is said to be a good substitute. These adapters are meant to be mounted on the camera; then the lens is screwed into it, or unscrewed for replacement. These adapters are easily removed from the camera.

Those of us with many screwmount lenses tend to buy batches of the cheap Bower-type clone adapters. Like the Official Pentax, these have a narrow flange and can reach infinity focus. These adapters have a troublesome clip-and-screw assembly that causes them to jam onto the camera. We generally remove the clip and screw, and use a PK rear lens cap as a wrench to tighten the adapter onto the lens. We then use the lens as if it were a native PK bayonet mount.

Another type of adapter is cheap, safe (it can't get stuck), but has a wide flange that won't allow infinity focus. I use these in certain situations: on macro bellows or tubes; on long tele lenses that may focus PAST infinity; for shoots where I don't care about infinity, like for macro or closeup or portrait work. I might use such a NIF (no infinity focus) adapter with a longer lens to force me to look at closer subjects, and to let me use CIF (catch-in-focus).

More can be said of adapters, but those are the basics. Have fun!
Bonjour,

Thanks again ... there's a swap meet near Poitiers next weekend and I will to these info on my "short" list ...

Salut, John le "Green" Grenouille