Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

KA mount lenses won't fully attach on a K-X

I just bought a K-X to use with my old lenses. My SLR was all-manual, so most of my lenses are M, but two are A - I just didn't use the A feature on them at the time.

The M lenses work great - I've read up on all the settings and they are working fine. But the A lenses (an Exacta 70-210mm zoom and an Exacta fixed 28mm) won't attach properly. When mounting them, they turn about halfway and then stop, before the locking button pops out to indicate that they are locked in.

I've tried attaching them with the aperture set to "A" and with it set to a fixed value. I've compared the lever and the flange to the lenses that work, and I can't see any difference. I can't see any protrusion that would explain this. Does anyone here have any ideas or experience with this?

Many thanks,

CBH

03-13-2012, 12:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Don't force anything. Find out what prevents the lens from turning in the mount.

It can be because of the flange (or shroud) that "protects" the aperture lever on the lens is too wide. If that's the case, you'll need to trim off the flange or remove it.

Read this post.
03-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are they Ricoh-mount (KR) lenses?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-13-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Some of the third party lens have the lever guard (flange) too high unless you file it down or remove it, you are not able to mount it properly. You can mount it on the old film camera but not an APS-C DSLR. Unless if it is a very stellar lens, I don't think it is worth the time to fix it (at least in my case).

03-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #5

Original Poster
They are not KR's, although that was a good thing to check - I had heard about the Ricoh pin problems.
03-17-2012, 07:40 PM   #6

Original Poster
It is not the flange. I thought it might be, even though the flanges look just like the ones on lenses that work. But to be certain, I removed and isolated just the metal ring on the lens - I separated away, the flange, the bayonet, and the lens itself. Even just the metal ring has the problem. I compared it carefully to the ring on a lens that works, and I can't see a difference.

I suppose I should give up. My attachment is sentimental. I learned to shoot with these lenses, and I liked the idea of still using them.
03-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbhicks Quote
It is not the flange. I thought it might be, even though the flanges look just like the ones on lenses that work. But to be certain, I removed and isolated just the metal ring on the lens - I separated away, the flange, the bayonet, and the lens itself. Even just the metal ring has the problem. I compared it carefully to the ring on a lens that works, and I can't see a difference.

I suppose I should give up. My attachment is sentimental. I learned to shoot with these lenses, and I liked the idea of still using them.
A couple of pictures of the mounts may get you some answers here. Try posting a couple from different angles and see if folks can't help you out.