Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Decisions with Helios 44

Hi again. Some of you know my issue from the Soviet lens club. For those who don't, I have at the moment two Helioses/Helii: a 44M which was my father's, and a 44-2, which was my girlfriend's father's. Her lens seems to have a character quite different to mine, but it has a wobbly mount which seemingly cannot be repaired economically. Now I came up with this idea: find another 44-2 with an excellent condition barrel, but imperfect glass, for very cheap, and swap the glass with hers. But apparently, Helii with broken glass are harder to come by in Romania than good condition ones, so the opportunity has arised to buy an altogether good lens. What to do with the broken 44-2? Well, I could use the front element for my father's 44M, who wasn't so careful with his equipment and somehow got only the glass full with tiny scratches, but not the barrel. Now, is it possible to swap elements between the 44M and 44-2? Which route should I go, buy a good lens now, or wait indefinitely for a "parts" one?

03-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You could always search for fungus infested ones and buy them for cheap if you can.

If not, I'd just say get another one in good condition.
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, I have already swapped the elements between the two, that means I'm going to buy a good one. There are plenty of offers for the equivalent of $15, I guess that's cheap enough already to wait for a broken one.
03-14-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
What to do with the broken 44-2?
Use it as a magnifying loupe for inspecting negatives. That is what I use my broken Jupiter-8 for.

Steve

03-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Look what I bought her instead:

03-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, I need a help now.
I've recently acquired a 44k-4, knowing a bit of the fungus infestation, but it seems like the fungus has spread quite a bit.
Any tips on how to reduce the growth of the fungus without disassembling the lens?

And if I have to disassemble it, is it easy to do so and resemble?

03-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I can't tell for the K version, but the 44M and 44-2 surely are. What you will need is a piece of rubber like a burst balloon or something. With an M42 rear cap and the rubber, you remove the front "beauty ring" by spinning it. Then there's a ring with two slots which is retaining the elements in place. Using the same rubber and a pair of nail scissors, you will place its prongs in the slots and twist counterclockwise until you free that ring. Once you get the elements out, do not mess a lot with them: I personally use lighter fluid on cotton buds to remove any impurity on lenses, and it works nicely.
03-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
Well, I need a help now.
I've recently acquired a 44k-4, knowing a bit of the fungus infestation, but it seems like the fungus has spread quite a bit.
Any tips on how to reduce the growth of the fungus without disassembling the lens?

And if I have to disassemble it, is it easy to do so and resemble?

Chances are the coating and/or glass is etched. There is also the risk to your other lenses. I would suggest to the seller that a full refund is in order. (Assuming, of course the description included words like fully functional, clean glass, good condition, and so on...)

Steve

03-22-2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I bought it as is at a really cheap price knowing the risk. He said a bit and doesn't affect the image much. I just took a chance. If not, oh, well. a lunch money wasted.
I guess a full breakdown is in order, perhaps. maybe I can take it apart fully, and disinfect/clean the thing from the glasses to metal and see what can be salvaged.
If anything, I'd say that the purchase is worth the entertainment value
03-23-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RickyFromVegas Quote
He said a bit and doesn't affect the image much.
...no worse than having dirty eyeglasses or a filthy windshield.

Steve