Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
I can honnestly say Ive never had a problem using filters. Although I wont use
anything other than Hoya PRO.
I have had massive flareing and ghosting when I accidentally had UV filters on my faster lenses (FA 24/2.0, FA 50/1.4, FA 35/2.0) on a series of night shots. The number of street lights in some shots doubled - and the shots were largely ruined. Since the day I saw these results, I made sure I only use filters in certain circumstances, where there use is really neccessary. And I also use only B+W and Hoya Pro 1 filters, even for those ruined night shots.

Ben

03-21-2012, 09:48 AM   #47
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I have never said it is the worst lens produced by Pentax. The lens is excellent (exept for corner sharpnes at wide aperture and some fringing). However, it is probably the most flare prone lens Pentax have made. At least it the most flare prone lens I've ever seen; it flares more than the fish-eye zoom!
Point it at the sun; stop it down to F:22 and engange DOF preview. See what happens in the finder....

Again, the lens is clean.

The lens is apparently due for replacement and I suspect its bad flare performance could be one reason....

I will replace mine in due course with the Limited zoom + the 15 Limited....
Sorry that I misinterpreted your posts, Pal.

I think, like you are mentioning, that maybe this lens is faulty ? But, I am guessing.

I hope you will have more luck with the DA 15 Ltd ... I own one and it is a great lens indeed.

Cheers.

JP
04-12-2012, 05:05 AM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
At least it the most flare prone lens I've ever seen; it flares more than the fish-eye zoom!
Wow, have you EVER used the FA 50? Mine flares like a demon if I so much as consider going out without a hood on.

I had a DA 15 Limited and sold it, and now I have the 16-50 and I find it a far superior lens. It flares, yeah, but I knew it would because the front element is about as big as my face.

I do miss having a tiny metallic chunk of beauty though The 16-50 is a hefty chap.