Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 01:37 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Reminder: Always mount your lens hoods!

Just got back from vacation at Walt Disney World with my wife and kids. Something happened that I thought I would share. One afternoon, we were walking around downtown Disney and after each taking a few shots of the kids, my wife let the camera go at her waist (she was wearing a shoulder strap) and the strap let loose. Her K10d and Tamron 28-75 fell from waist height to the concrete. The first thing that ran through my mind was that at least I can use the insurance check partially pay for a K-5. As it turns out, the camera hit the ground on the lens hood. The hood shattered but the rest of the camera is fine (lens as a little "road rash" on the plastic, but glass is clean). She shot 50-100 more shots with it as various apertures and distances and it seems to be working fine. My best guess is that the hood absorbed almost all of the impact force letting the camera hit the ground at only a couple of G's instead of 100+. Moral of the story: leave your hoods in place, they just might save your lens/camera.

This was the second the camera strap came loose on this trip (hasn't happened any other time in the past 4 years). The other time she was holding the camera at the time. The following day, we caught one of out toddlers playing with the strap buckle while being carried by mommy. She likely loosened it both times.....

03-14-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Similar event happened to me, almost lost the Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 to the ground, scuffed lens hood. OMG what a relief, lesson learnt.
03-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Glad to hear that there was a happy ending to the story. Your account is why I do not buy metal lens hoods - they would not have absorbed nearly the energy that it took to shatter your plastic hood and that energy would have been transferred to the lens & camera.

Sorry you won't be getting that K-5 with an insurance check but at least you got another 100 or so photos of your family having a good time!
03-14-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Your account is why I do not buy metal lens hoods - they would not have absorbed nearly the energy that it took to shatter your plastic hood and that energy would have been transferred to the lens & camera.
I think a rangefinder style metal hood (the ones with the holes in the back) would be structurally compromised enough to flex during impact. At least, that's what I keep telling myself! My 16-50 (polycarbonate?) hood has been glued back together many times fulfilling this role...

03-14-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RXrenesis8 Quote
I think a rangefinder style metal hood (the ones with the holes in the back) would be structurally compromised enough to flex during impact. At least, that's what I keep telling myself! My 16-50 (polycarbonate?) hood has been glued back together many times fulfilling this role...
Maybe. But then I have a problem with maybe and camera security. Glad the 16-50 has benefited from your much abused hood.
03-14-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Pentaxian

You know those crash tests they do with cars?
Maybe we should try one with redundant kit lenses,
comparing plastic, rubber, and metal hoods.
03-15-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The first time mine let loose with no damage I reloaded and tied the sucker in hard knots. Surprises like that I don't need.