Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2012, 12:36 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nuff Quote
... My tip for japan is not to stay on any main streets. Dive into all the small alleys, since that's where the real attraction is.
And often the best places to eat, too. The little neighborhood places where the locals go for lunch. Great food and very good prices. The back alleys are where you can get away from the tourist glitz.

03-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #47
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
thanks for the heads up... will look forward to it...

And met up with the guy today... you know when it is a bad idea to ask the guy to bring his other lenses for me to have a look.... but after $1K, these babies came home with me...

Very nice score ! You are almost all set, something around 90/100 or a 55-300 and you're ready for the off (unless you get the K5 too before you go)
03-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #48

Original Poster
do..... not..... temp...... me..........

03-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Shinjuku is a "ward", not a "neighborhood". Think of it as a full-fledged city which goes toward comprising Metro Tokyo....which is itself only a portion of Tokyo. There is a heck of a lot more to Tokyo than just the 23 ward metro area that most people think is Tokyo.

We are still facing major reductions in electrical generation capacity following last year's disaster and anyone used to ducking into stores and whatnot in the summer to enjoy a blast of frigid air conditioned relief from the sweltering heat is very likely to find himself suffering a disappointment....it is going to be hot indoors as well. The less crap you have to tote, the less miserable you're going to be.

While there are some beautiful areas in the Japan countryside, the likelihood of stumbling across them anywhere near Tokyo is remote. Just between us, there are places here that are nothing but eyesores. You'd better know what you want to see, where it is, and how to get there. That goes for city and countryside both.

I shoot Tokyo pretty much six days a week, and if I had to do it on foot, in the heat, and dragging around another person with me....I'd probably leave all my DSLR crap at home and just take my Fujifilm X10.

03-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Yes, I've my favourite spots for udon, huge plate of sashimi for $20. There's an awesome curry place in an alley across the huge LV building, I've found it by smell. I think it rates as one of the best curries in Japan and I've tried a lot. I love Shinjuku! I think I've spent around 4 weeks total in my travels over there and there's always something new to find and explore. That place doesn't get boring.

I will agree with Mike about the electricity, but it's no where near as bad as it was when I went to Japan last May. The train stations where hot! It was 20C outside, but it was cooking everywhere underground. At least this winter it seemed to me that everyone turned up the heating again to full blast, since I had to strip down to a tshirt every time I've entered a store. I'm pretty sure they will turn up the air con a bit more this summer, but it's not going to be the usual levels.

Yes, there are lots of rough areas (I've been to some poor areas since I visit friends etc), but the beauty of Japan far outweighs them, at least for me. Also it's easy to get to countryside from Tokyo, just hop on a bullet train or visit Nikko etc...
03-17-2012, 05:16 AM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
We are still facing major reductions in electrical generation capacity following last year's disaster ......
And that's not going to improve in the next few years with all but two of the 23 nuclear power stations now closed !
03-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #52
Forum Member

I travelled Japan with only a K-m, the 40mm Voigtländer, the 21mm Limited and the 10-17mm Fisheye and shot the best photos of my life. Would recommend this combination to anyone any time. There was never a moment I thought I was under equipped. In fact, 50mm would be WAY too limiting if not even useless for me. On the other hand, 40mm is an incredibly versatile focal length. Even more so than 21mm actually.