Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2012, 08:40 PM   #31

Original Poster
wow... thanks for you links to your photos... those are the kind of shots I am hoping to get with the WA lens... specially the Nara/Kyoto/Koyasan folder... Last time I was at Thailand, I was at the sleeping Budha temple, and struggle to get the right shots with my kit lens, and thought a SWA lens would have made the shots alot easier in the confined space...

03-15-2012, 08:46 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Well, the Nara/Kyoto/Koyasan was shot with Olympus e-p1. It's before I got my K5. On that trip I only had 2 lenses with me, 20mm (40mm equivalent) and 14mm (28mm equivalent). Also the iso performance of that camera was terrible, I didn't like taking it over 320, since the noise got really bad. At least for me, having less primes makes me take better photos. It makes me think a lot more about composition.
03-15-2012, 08:47 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by okitoki Quote
As much as everyone raves about the 15mm, should I be worried that it is not that fast of a lens, as I am the type that would take low light pictures without using a Tripod
Based on my experience with that lens, I'd say no.
For reportage type interior or low-light shots,
you can use low shutter speeds and shake reduction,
bumping up the ISO if need be.
03-16-2012, 08:59 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Just don't expect good corner sharpness at f4 however

03-16-2012, 09:25 AM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
By Photozone's criteria, you can expect "good" corner sharpness, if not "very good."
Field curvature can work in your favor when the corners are closer than the center.
03-16-2012, 12:45 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I ever get an opportunity to visit Tokyo, I'll bring very few lenses and as much money I can. IMO you don't bring lenses to Japan, you find them there and bring them home! :-)

Kjell
03-16-2012, 01:15 PM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chickenandavocado Quote
You don't get good corner sharpness with any WA lens, nature of the beast, however the 15 Ltd is up there with the best. Maybe the VL 15 is one of the best (but for RF only), otherwise if you want across the frame sharpness then use a sharp 28mm and stitch.

03-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bilybianca Quote
If I ever get an opportunity to visit Tokyo, I'll bring very few lenses and as much money I can. IMO you don't bring lenses to Japan, you find them there and bring them home! :-)
Actually, that is a myth. Unless Pentax gear is significantly inflated in price where you live, you will not find many "deals" in Tokyo. I can't speak for Scandinavia but prices here in the US tend to be better than what you will get in Japan when you factor in the horrendous exchange rate. In addition, for new cameras and lenses, you would be stuck with a Japan-only warranty. If something goes bad, the item would have to be sent back to Japan for service instead of to your local service center.
03-16-2012, 05:51 PM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by abmj Quote
Actually, that is a myth. Unless Pentax gear is significantly inflated in price where you live, you will not find many "deals" in Tokyo. I can't speak for Scandinavia but prices here in the US tend to be better than what you will get in Japan when you factor in the horrendous exchange rate. In addition, for new cameras and lenses, you would be stuck with a Japan-only warranty. If something goes bad, the item would have to be sent back to Japan for service instead of to your local service center.
I have been to Japan several times, I don't usually find the lens price cheap there compare to North America. Also, they don't seem to have promotions there regularly as we have in North America. On the other hand, if you are looking for some pristine older hard-to-find lenses, you have more chances of getting what you are looking for.
03-16-2012, 06:00 PM   #40
Veteran Member

wow... thanks for you links to your photos... those are the kind of shots I am hoping to get with the WA lens... specially the Nara/Kyoto/Koyasan folder... Last time I was at Thailand, I was at the sleeping Budha temple, and struggle to get the right shots with my kit lens, and thought a SWA lens would have made the shots alot easier in the confined space...
During my last trip to Japan, my primary lens is the DA 12-24 which is excellent to use as street lens. A large percentage of my shots with that lens is between 16-24 FL, (and mostly at 24mm). However, on my trip to Fuji mountain, I wish I brought my DA 55-300 with me. I am also planning a trip to Japan during Sakura time, I think my main lens would be DA 18-135 with either DA55-300 or the DA12-24 on a given day. In the evening, I would prefer faster lens such as DA43, M135/3.5 or DA77.
03-16-2012, 07:15 PM   #41

Original Poster
I have heard of a street in Tokyo (Sinjuku sp? i think ) that suppose to be the place to be able to find cheap used camera.... not sure where exactly. but will be interesting to have a wonder... like you said, it would be good to be able to find an old gem...

However, at the same time I dont want to go there with a false expectation to be able to find a good lens and not bring a decent one along to take normal photo....

I went to a local pawn shop and found a old sigma 28-80 f3.5-5.6 that is pretty small in hand... plus at $20, it should work well as a disposable one, but handy enough for those shots if I do need it...

Will be picking up the 15 today... have a outdoor wedding tomorrow so would be a good time to test it out with my old 50 f1.4 in my jacket pocket
03-16-2012, 07:38 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I have heard of a street in Tokyo (Sinjuku sp? i think ) that suppose to be the place to be able to find cheap used camera.... not sure where exactly. but will be interesting to have a wonder... like you said, it would be good to be able to find an old gem...

However, at the same time I dont want to go there with a false expectation to be able to find a good lens and not bring a decent one along to take normal photo....

I went to a local pawn shop and found a old sigma 28-80 f3.5-5.6 that is pretty small in hand... plus at $20, it should work well as a disposable one, but handy enough for those shots if I do need it...

Will be picking up the 15 today... have a outdoor wedding tomorrow so would be a good time to test it out with my old 50 f1.4 in my jacket pocket
You mean Shinjuku, which is North-western part of Tokyo and a few subway stops on the JR line from Shibuya. I will try my luck there to see if I can find a M or K 20/4 or FA24/2 in nice condition; would be nice if I do. I will also bring along my MF Porst 55/1.2 just to see how the bokeh looks like with the Sukura blossom in the background; should be fun.
03-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Shijuku is a neighborhood, not a street but essentially you have the right idea. Several of the large camera stores have outlets there and there are some used dealers. Just be aware that some of the "used" dealers are actually antique camera sellers and they want pretty high prices for the collectors stuff.

Another place to look might be Akihabara ("Electric Town") but the primary emphasis there is to get your money not help you save it. On the other hand, Akihabara is almost a must-see just for the culture.

Lots to see and do in Tokyo.
03-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #44
Veteran Member

Shinjuku has a very nice used store. I can't give you directions since it's hidden in all the alleys. I actually couldn't find it when I went there in February. I scored a mint condition 50mm f1.4 Leica lens from 60s and sold it for double the price back home. If you find the right place, you can get some mint old lenses at bargain prices. Just go to walk a lot and explore. When I went to Akihabara on weekend there was a market and few people were selling old cameras and lesnes as well. But none of them grabbed my interest.

My tip for japan is not to stay on any main streets. Dive into all the small alleys, since that's where the real attraction is.
03-17-2012, 12:34 AM   #45

Original Poster
thanks for the heads up... will look forward to it...

And met up with the guy today... you know when it is a bad idea to ask the guy to bring his other lenses for me to have a look.... but after $1K, these babies came home with me...

My old 50mm

The 35mm

The 15mm

The guy I bought it from.... he does have a K5 he is trying to temp me with

All these are jpegs and untouched cant wait to try them out tomorrow