Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2012, 07:57 PM   #1

Suggestion for which lens to bring to Japan

Hi All,
I will be going to Tokyo at the end of July and was looking at bringing my old K200D along for the ride... previous holiday trips to Singapore/Thailand was abit of a bummer for me due to the kit lens I brought along was bulky and unwieldly... photos came out so so but I think I will like to travel light this time round...

Anywho... The shots I will be taking would mostly be inner city within Tokyo... and maybe some landscape should we decide to travel to Mt Fuji... The lens I have recently acquired (but still waiting to arrive) is a FA 50mm f1.4 which should cover most street photography, and night/indoor shots without flash...

However, I am worried I might be missing out something if I bring only the 50mm... should I be thinking about getting another lens? At first was reading up on the Pentax 12-24 (too expensive for my budget) but then the Sigma 10-20 might be an option (much difference between the f4 or f3.5?) the wide should give a fuller inner city shots?

But what else would you suggest?

03-14-2012, 07:59 PM   #2

Original Poster
Oh, and anyone can suggest where I can go in Tokyo to look for cheap Pentax gears?
03-14-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know about cheap Pentax gear in Tokyo (maybe nowhere?) but I sure wish I'd gone to the Pentax museum when I was there a few years ago!

And although you may not save much money (though you might compared to AUS prices) there are rumors that some companies, such as Tamron, save the best copies of their lenses for the Japanese market.

Also, if you're interested in cars at all, hop on the fast train and visit the Toyota Auto Museum.

Last edited by DSims; 03-14-2012 at 08:33 PM.
03-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
lol... I wish I can do that.. but unfortunately my partner is not into either photography or cars... but she does put up with me taking photos everywhere we go

03-14-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC the Pentax museum is in a popular part of town, so maybe you can find something she also wants to do there! Besides, it's difficult to get bored in Tokyo.

The Japanese countryside is beautiful, so you'll definitely want to go out there, whether to Mt. Fuji or elsewhere.
03-14-2012, 08:39 PM   #6

Original Poster
hmm... thanks for the suggestion... will look it up then
03-14-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The 10-20 would be a good choice. For small, you could do the DA 15 or smaller 21. I would choose the 15 over the 21 as wider is probably more useful. The 21 has a fair amount of barrel distortion. If only one lens, it would be the 12-24.
03-14-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The fast 50 is great for low light like you say but you need to follow through with your wider lens idea, Tokyo is stuff packed on top of stuff, you can't really back up to take in the shot without 50 things getting in between most of the time. The sigma 10-20 you were looking at would be nice but its REALLY wide to fairly wide, something like the:
Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM (No Stabilizer) Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
would be better (and cheaper without unnecessary stabilizer), whatever you get don't bother with the crap variable aperture lenses, with the other 10-20 you were looking at the F4 on the wide end would be ok but 5.6 on the zoom end would get irritating fast, you'll need the wide angle indoors a lot and so you need a real black hole of a lens to make up for the usually poor lighting, that 17-50 F2.8 would be a great do everything lens, plus remember you don't want to be shooting wide open all the time for both depth of field and sharpness reasons.

03-14-2012, 08:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax museum is close to Shinjuku station (northwest side of the city); don't forget July will be stinking hot in Tokyo so packing a lot of gear is less than desirable...
03-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

No matter where I go, I take the same basic kit, with embellishments. Always my DA10-17, Tamron 10-24, DA18-250, FA50/1.4, and Raynox DCR-250. The superzoom is my basic lens when traveling; the fisheye zoom is indispensable in tight spaces; the UWA is great for inner-city shops; the Fast Fifty is my gotta-get-the-shot lens; the Raynox gives me macro capability. I may flesh those out with some fast MF primes and specialty lenses, but what I mentioned comprise my minimal travel kit. They work for me. Your mileage may vary. Have fun!
03-14-2012, 09:17 PM   #11

Original Poster
wow... thats a pretty big basic kit to lug around Agree on packing light with the hot weather... that is something I learned from my Asian holiday is that I would rather enjoy the environment around me rather than lugging big kit bags around my shoulder

I looked at the photos of the Sigma 10-20, and seems like a pretty big lens....seems like the shots are kinda wide, but looks like fun to play with...
While the DA 15 looks like a contender at the moment... but at that price might be able to save up more and get the DA 12-24... ouch...

With the Sigma 17-50, wont that be pretty similar to the kit lens 18-55? edit: oh never mind... didnt pay attention to the f2.8 :P
03-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #12
Pentaxian

If you're concerned about lens size then have a look at this and check out the hood size on the 12-24....

03-14-2012, 09:23 PM   #13

Original Poster
woah... big big difference.... I know the 15 and 21 are small... but didnt realize that they are that SMALL compare to the 12-24
03-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #14
Pentaxian

fish eye (for fun shots)
55-300 (in case you want to shoot tele landscape)
raynox 250
03-14-2012, 09:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Primes are nice and small and provide the best image quality for that focal length, but can you really do all that you need to with just one focal length? If so that is the way to go, I've never been able to, but then I have an aversion to major cropping and software zooming due to the image quality loss involved. Any good zoom tends to be HUGE because it needs to suck up a ton more light to get the same high speed as a tiny short prime which is optimized for that one length, so its rather difficult to gain versatility and small size at the same time.
I find even with the lens set I have (see signature) I tend to change lenses a lot as things catch my eye that this or that lens would do better, but If I had to toss them all and only keep one it would be my 35-105 F3.5 because its fast and its got excellent versatility, If I could only have one for Tokyo of mine it would be my 24-50 F4 because its a great walk around lens but is nice and wide (they don't have anything wider in a zoom in the old series I use) Every lens I have fits in a shoulder bag the size of a lunch box along with the camera body and critical accessories (flash can be put in there when the body is out of the bag)