Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good advice

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
....The Pentax 50/1.7 in all its iterations (M, A, F, and FA) is considered one of the best values going in terms of optical performance for the price. The Pentax 50/2 optical formula isn't as well regarded, although some feel it's underrated. It is considered an adequate performer.
Re-bonjour,

I would agree and I started to suggest maybe a 50/1.7, but all is dependant on what's "reasonable" and one's price/performance point tolerances. I spent a very reasonable amount for my 50/1.7 that I bought from KEH, especially given the performance of this lens. I do not know if I would invest in a 50/1.4 or 1.2, beacuse I am very happy with the 1.7.

I would also agree that the 50/2 is underrated and maybe "looked down upon", etc. because the faster Pentax 50's. I picked up a M 50/5 with a K1000 for a song, and this lens is really pretty good stopped down a bit ... don't know about the A 50/2, but it has a respectable PF user rating in the database - See SMC Pentax-A 50mm F2 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The A 50/1.7 is here: SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

As was suggested, maybe start with the f2 and then later upgrade to a f1.7 ... and IMHO don't be tempted by sirens of a f1.4 or f1.2 ... again, I'm not convinced they're worth the extra expenditure(s) as compared to a f1.7 ... maybe it's just stingy old me. But then again if someone would loan me one to test ... !?

Allez et bon courage - J Frog

03-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
Veteran Member

I always coveted the 1.4 so I own a 1.7 and 1.4. Honestly I can not see a lot of difference between the two. The 1.7 is is a better buy for the money.
03-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
I always coveted the 1.4 so I own a 1.7 and 1.4. Honestly I can not see a lot of difference between the two. The 1.7 is is a better buy for the money.
For general use, when stopped down, I agree. At or near max aperture, and focusing in low light, is when the subtle but important differences come out. The M50/1.7 can't be beat on bang for the buck, but when you need f/1.4 you need an f/1.4 lens.
03-16-2012, 06:17 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by baro-nite Quote
For general use, when stopped down, I agree. At or near max aperture, and focusing in low light, is when the subtle but important differences come out. The M50/1.7 can't be beat on bang for the buck, but when you need f/1.4 you need an f/1.4 lens.
And that is the truth. An f/1.4 just does things that an f/1.7 can't. Of my 50 Fifties, one is f/1.2, four are f/1.4, three are f/1.7, seven are f/1.8. I really like the wide-open sharpness of all the f/1.7-1.8s, but they just don't match the low-light and DOF performance of the f/1.4s. There is no substitute for speed.

03-16-2012, 06:23 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Stardog,

See if you can search around and find the SMC A 50mm F1.4 in good condition for a decent price. I still have mine that I got as a kit lens when I bought my Super Program. It takes great photos all day and it will allow you to still take photos as the sun is going down until the light is all but gone. Plus it looks really great on the front of a camera with its giant lens. it is a lens that you will most likely want to hold on to.

here is a pic from the web showing the giant front lens element.
Attached Images

03-17-2012, 12:47 AM   #21
Site Supporter

Good advice

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Bonjour Colbyt,

Thanks for the comparison between the two ...

Merci encore et salut, J

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-17-2012 at 12:54 AM.
03-17-2012, 12:52 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Need for speed ...

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
And that is the truth. An f/1.4 just does things that an f/1.7 can't. Of my 50 Fifties, one is f/1.2, four are f/1.4, three are f/1.7, seven are f/1.8. I really like the wide-open sharpness of all the f/1.7-1.8s, but they just don't match the low-light and DOF performance of the f/1.4s.There is no substitute for speed.
Bonjour RioRico,

So true ... and I am now insanely jealous ... "50 Fifties" !!!

Quelle chance - Salut, J
03-17-2012, 05:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
I am now insanely jealous ... "50 Fifties" !!!
It's a start. Until recently, one member here had more Fifties than I have lenses total. And five of mine are on my "to sell" list -- but I'm sure I'll compensate for their loss somehow, eh? I just need to find the right deals.

03-17-2012, 09:52 AM   #24
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperK5 Quote
Stardog,

See if you can search around and find the SMC A 50mm F1.4 in good condition for a decent price. I still have mine that I got as a kit lens when I bought my Super Program. It takes great photos all day and it will allow you to still take photos as the sun is going down until the light is all but gone. Plus it looks really great on the front of a camera with its giant lens. it is a lens that you will most likely want to hold on to.

here is a pic from the web showing the giant front lens element.
Yes! It does look great on the front of the camera. It might be good to add that the A 50/1.4 does not suffer from the build issues that afflict its slower sisters.

As for me, I have only one f/1.4 (an Auto-Rikenon in M42 mount) and am generally quite happy with the slower, but lighter lenses for general use. I owned a SMC Takumar 50/1.4 for a short time, but felt that it did not live up to the hype, so I let it go.

Steve

(...thinking that today might be a good day to do some flower shots with the Auto-Rikenon 55/1.4...)