Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2012, 10:27 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
People who have something in a box see these prices and post 'em up. It last for several weeks then the demand is exhausted for a while.

I once had a 1979 ABU Garcia bait casting reel I had only used once for a muskie fishing trip and put back in the box. I never went pike or muskie fishing again (got married, etc).

There was an ABU site like Dimitrov's K-Mount page that I stumbled across and discovered my reel had only been made for 6 months (like the transition to K-mount). For at least a year I looked at reels when I was looking at lenses.

Suddenly looking at eBay, several similar but abused copies crossed (lots of boat rash) with furious bids, so I put mine up with an end date / time of 6pm east coast Sunday. The last five minutes was quite a thrill. IIRC this was before software sniping was common.

$435 for a Takumar? Meh.

$1,735 for a fishing reel.
Well, you didn't complete the "story" by telling us what you originally paid for the reel?!!!...But, obviously you did well?
Cheers, Pickles.

04-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
She's a beauty!
An item of this condition would fall under the collection end of things.
I can think of a few people who would have payed for this lens.
A real showpiece. All it needs is the box and paperwork to complete the package.
04-04-2012, 04:48 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Well, you didn't complete the "story" by telling us what you originally paid for the reel?!!!...But, obviously you did well?
Cheers, Pickles.
$39.95 at a B&M fishing store here, loaded with mono (I forget what test and how much). Yes, there were B&M fishing stores before Bass Pro Shops and Cabella's. I guess at the time I bought the reel it was just another reel. Shortly thereafter a fundamental change similar to M42 > K-mount occurred. These things actually had serial numbers embossed on the foot and identification could get as detailed as a SMC Tak 135/2.5.

The more I think about it the more I realize the parallels.
04-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
$39.95 at a B&M fishing store here, loaded with mono (I forget what test and how much). Yes, there were B&M fishing stores before Bass Pro Shops and Cabella's. I guess at the time I bought the reel it was just another reel. Shortly thereafter a fundamental change similar to M42 > K-mount occurred. These things actually had serial numbers embossed on the foot and identification could get as detailed as a SMC Tak 135/2.5.

The more I think about it the more I realize the parallels.
Ha ha ha ....Sensational....I wouldn't mind doing a few "Deals" like that myself.
Cheers, Pickles.

04-06-2012, 04:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Geez, these things are getting common....here's another.
I don't know how to put a "link' up (I'm computer hopeless), but for anyone who's interested, the Ebay number is 270949050526.
This one is minus its correct hood, correct front cap, & its case.
Cheers, Pickles.
Well...some "price variation" here....this item sold for $25.00 (Aus)!
Cheers, Pickles.