Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Site Supporter

S.M.C. Takumar Zoom (M42) Sold For $435 on Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=16075...vip=true&rt=nc
I have benn looking for one of these, so I was keeping an eye on it. It looked be in good shape, but appeared not to have its specific 2 piece hood, nor did it have a case.
It sold for $435. I wonder how much a "complete" one would make.
Cheers, Pickles.

03-16-2012, 03:52 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems like an astronomical price for that lens- unless they've really gone up since last year! Lenses like these should be in the $100-$200 range.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
That's plain silly.
03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #4
Pentaxian

All you need is two people who "really" want to get the same item. When that happens, they both set the highest price point (sometimes way above fair price) to ensure he/she gets it.

03-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

This lens must be quite rare in screw mount since it was introduced in 1975 at the absolute tail end of the screw mount era. So if you collect Takumars and "need" this lens, then the price is not out of line. It's K-mount counterpart is much more common and sells well below $200.
03-16-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
SMC TAKUMAR 45-125mm f/4 ZOOM LENS M42 SCREWMOUNT LENS | eBay
I have benn looking for one of these, so I was keeping an eye on it. It looked be in good shape, but appeared not to have its specific 2 piece hood, nor did it have a case.
It sold for $435. I wonder how much a "complete" one would make.
Cheers, Pickles.
Yeah that's a bit high. The original two part Takumar hood is for sale on eBay. It's the same as the K series version.

Phil.
03-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
All you need is two people who "really" want to get the same item. When that happens, they both set the highest price point (sometimes way above fair price) to ensure he/she gets it.
...Or neither can give up in a fever as end of auction nears. Have sold at way out of line prices on ebay - embarrassing, really. This one does seem scarce tho.
03-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah that's a bit high. The original two part Takumar hood is for sale on eBay. It's the same as the K series version.

Phil.
G'Day Phil, that's the one from a German seller?....geez, I'd reckon the buyer of this lens would love to have it....I wonder if he knows it's got a very "specific" hood.
Regards, Martin.

03-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter

G'Day Phil, that's the one from a German seller?....geez, I'd reckon the buyer of this lens would love to have it....I wonder if he knows it's got a very "specific" hood.
Regards, Martin.
Hi Martin! Yep that's the one. I've been searching for the close-up attachment for my K version but no luck, also the case is proving hard to find.

The M35-70/2.8-3.5 also has the same type of two part hood with a step-up 58mm-67mm ring.

Phil.
03-17-2012, 02:11 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Hi Martin! Yep that's the one. I've been searching for the close-up attachment for my K version but no luck, also the case is proving hard to find.

The M35-70/2.8-3.5 also has the same type of two part hood with a step-up 58mm-67mm ring.

Phil.
Yeah, well I don't mind paying "top dollar" within reason, but if I do, it's gotta be "complete" with "everything".....incl. , in this case, hood & case.
Having said that, I reckon the buyer of the Ebay item has paid a massive price...I wonder what I'd have to pay, for, in my terms, the "complete" item, in mint condition?
But, if anyone has such a beast, I would welcome your P.M.
Cheers, Pickles.

Last edited by pickles; 03-17-2012 at 02:17 AM.
03-18-2012, 05:45 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Interesting bidding history for that item. The winner is a fairly inexperienced bidder and apparently really wanted the lens. There was a last minute(second) snipe attempt by two other bidders, so the price is probably not too unreasonable to at least three people on the globe!

Steve
03-18-2012, 06:58 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm no better when I see something I want, I'm very poor but my camera gets first pick at any budget surplus, and when I saw my new in box Pentax SMC-A 24-50 F4 come up for auction I planted the ITS MINE! flag and dropped a bid of $277.77 I was willing to pay whatever it took. With shipping it was far less than $200 actually.

Its funny to see the sniper program people miss the bus because their first bid is also their last and they never expect the ridiculous high bids I'm willing to make when I have to have something.

Plus some people are just so crazy rich $400 for a lens just means skipping going out to dinner one night.
04-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another one of these just got sold for around the $350 mark on Ebay. (Sorry, I can't remember the exact price!)This one looked in VERY good shape, had the unique hood, F & R caps, but still no case.....which I would require. I would imagine that finding a case separately for one of these would be virtually impossible.
Cheers, Pickles.
04-03-2012, 03:37 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Geez, these things are getting common....here's another.
I don't know how to put a "link' up (I'm computer hopeless), but for anyone who's interested, the Ebay number is 270949050526.
This one is minus its correct hood, correct front cap, & its case.
Cheers, Pickles.
04-03-2012, 07:39 PM   #15
Lens Buying Addict

Geez, these things are getting common....here's another.
I don't know how to put a "link' up (I'm computer hopeless), but for anyone who's interested, the Ebay number is 270949050526.
This one is minus its correct hood, correct front cap, & its case.
Cheers, Pickles.
People who have something in a box see these prices and post 'em up. It last for several weeks then the demand is exhausted for a while.

I once had a 1979 ABU Garcia bait casting reel I had only used once for a muskie fishing trip and put back in the box. I never went pike or muskie fishing again (got married, etc).

There was an ABU site like Dimitrov's K-Mount page that I stumbled across and discovered my reel had only been made for 6 months (like the transition to K-mount). For at least a year I looked at reels when I was looking at lenses.

Suddenly looking at eBay, several similar but abused copies crossed (lots of boat rash) with furious bids, so I put mine up with an end date / time of 6pm east coast Sunday. The last five minutes was quite a thrill. IIRC this was before software sniping was common.

$435 for a Takumar? Meh.

$1,735 for a fishing reel.