Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 10:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
I have the B+W ND1000 49mm which is great. For CPL, the best is the Hoya Pro1 Digital but 52mm is the smallest, so I am using a 49 to 77mm step-up on a 49mm neutral filter and I don't have vigneting.
I am assuming u are using a sacrificial 49mm filter (with the lens punched out) + a 49-77mm step up ring + a 77mm ND filter?

And u dont vignette with that?

03-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #17
Pentaxian

i use 49mm screw in filters on the DA15 without any problems.
for a GND, i would not consider a round filter but rather a square (Cokin-type) filter. Cokin makes a wide angle filter holder which works fine with the DA15 with minimal vignetting but you need a single empty filter ring to clear the hood.
03-25-2012, 09:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
i use 49mm screw in filters on the DA15 without any problems.
for a GND, i would not consider a round filter but rather a square (Cokin-type) filter. Cokin makes a wide angle filter holder which works fine with the DA15 with minimal vignetting but you need a single empty filter ring to clear the hood.
+1 on this. I have a cokin 49mm ring permanently attached to the lens.
I have a cokin "A" system on a square holder.
I typically shoot with an ND6 grad (cokin), and a CPL with this set up. Without the CPL, I don't get vignetting. If using, I crop.
Total cost of set up was around $40.

I'll put it together, and post a picture.
03-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #19
Pentaxian

so just to be summarize, you only need an empty filter ring spacer if you are stepping up to a larger filter and need to clear the protruding hood.

i have a similar solution to the fixed hood of the FA31 for which i use two empty 58mm rings attached to my Cokin P holder.

03-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used a Hoya ND400 (9 stop ?) and a B&W CPL without problems on my DA15. Another reason to buy Limiteds is the 49mm filters fit most of them along with a lot of other vintage Pentax glass.
03-25-2012, 10:14 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have used a Hoya ND400 (9 stop ?) and a B&W CPL without problems on my DA15.
Does the CPL cause odd shades in the open clear sky?
03-25-2012, 10:49 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Yes it can (and will), particularly if you shoot in landscape orientation.

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I have used a Hoya ND400 (9 stop ?)
That's right, it's a 9 stop filter. The B+W ND 3.0 is a 10 stop filter.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Cokin makes a wide angle filter holder which works fine with the DA15 with minimal vignetting but you need a single empty filter ring to clear the hood.
Perhaps my spacer filter is a bit too wide, because I get a little more than "minimal" vignetting when I've tried this. I'm hoping for better luck with Lee system wide angle adapter to use with my Lee system.
03-25-2012, 02:12 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Yes it can (and will), particularly if you shoot in landscape orientation.

That's right, it's a 9 stop filter. The B+W ND 3.0 is a 10 stop filter.

Perhaps my spacer filter is a bit too wide, because I get a little more than "minimal" vignetting when I've tried this. I'm hoping for better luck with Lee system wide angle adapter to use with my Lee system.
i have no issues but my ring is just thick enough to bite the threads leaving no clearance at all.
I have the P size cokin wide angle holder, FWIW. I just shot several test pics with and without the holder with a filter and only see a slight hint of vignette in 2 corners when shooting wide open which i would never do using filters. Not a trace of vignetting once stopped down a few clicks.

Last edited by mikeSF; 03-25-2012 at 06:02 PM.
03-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
Veteran Member

That's how CPLs work on wide angles. The closer to the Sun you point the camera, the brighter the sky will be, the further away, the darker it is. Since wide angle covers large part of the sky, you will see different shades of sky. I don't mind that look.
03-25-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
Pentaxian

The couple of times I used it on the DA15, no. It gets used much more often on my other 49mm filter sized lenses. I've heard of issues with CPL's on ultra wide lenses. I mainly commented that it does fit the DA 15 if you care to use it. So far, every 49mm filter I own will fit into the DA 15 although I rarely use a filter on it. CPL's do change the shade of the sky some. That's one of the reasons why we use them. It performed as I expected it to.
03-26-2012, 02:05 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
I am assuming u are using a sacrificial 49mm filter (with the lens punched out) + a 49-77mm step up ring + a 77mm ND filter?

And u dont vignette with that?
Yes ! (Sorry for the delay)

I used prior a 49 to 52mm step-up, but then I had vignette.

03-26-2012, 05:24 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Here you go. The 49 mm ring is a cokin extension ring.
I get vignetting with the CPL, as mentioned, and pictured,but as I am printing 8x10's most of the time, it is rarely an issue.
I've just happily realized that along with my 15, 40, 50, and 70mm lenses, I can also use the NEX kit lens with this rig.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
NEX-5N  Photo