Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
How does Pentax photograph its own lenses?

[Admin edit: post moved to the lens forum, missing info filled in]

This is partly off-topic, though it concerns the new lens, too. The [database photos] all have a pentaxforums watermark,so my naive presumption is that Mo or another lucky fellow gets to make a pic of them all. And maybe even do some testshots?

Naive, I know. Of course some of such shots are provided to us by Pentax corporation.

Well, then my question is: what camera would Pentax use to make pictures of its own lenses?

I like their sharpness and detail. Any ideas?

01-08-2008, 02:21 PM   #2

Well, looking at the new 18-250 picture, I suspect it might be a 3D render not a photo.
Lots of pictures of high-tech gadgets, cars, etc. you can get from official sources are renders not photos, to avoid all imperfections (dust, minuscule imperfections in manufacturing, etc.).
01-08-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
Syb
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Isn't that suspicious? That a photography firm does not trust its own products?

I thought it should be perhaps a 645D camera, or something else very sophisticated. But a 3d render?

Btw: what is that? A 3d render?

Thanks,
01-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Computer Aided Drafting-CAD; in 3 dimensions with simulated light (ray-tracing or similar)====>render/rendering.

While a rendered image might be used in preproduction or introductory hype, the 'after' stuff is probably shot by either an in-house group using the same cameras the company sells or farmed out to an agency that uses medium format equipment--make a guess.

QuoteOriginally posted by Syb Quote
Isn't that suspicious? That a photography firm does not trust its own products?

I thought it should be perhaps a 645D camera, or something else very sophisticated. But a 3d render?

Btw: what is that? A 3d render?

Thanks,

01-08-2008, 04:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

more likely on a Large format view camera (maybe with a digital back) to control the DOF exactly.
01-08-2008, 04:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you talking about the ones here at PentaxForums.com? I would suppose most of them are Mo's shots, but some of them are mine and I'm sure other members submitted theirs.

If you're interested in gear shots, I have a whole gallery of them:
Equipment

Most of them were taken with the DFA 100/2.8 Macro and the lighting is pretty simple: tons of it. Daylight, flash, incandescent...basically as much as I can get to bring out shadows. Stuff like:

(No flash, just ambient sunshine and incandescent lights to fill. Background is a white board.)

I recently did some darker ones, using my 24mm lens to accentuate the proportions of the lens on the camera:

(Click for bigger size. This was just two incandescent lights and a 5 second exposure at f/10. The background is a piece of warm grey matting board.)
01-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Are you talking about the ones here at PentaxForums.com? I would suppose most of them are Mo's shots, but some of them are mine and I'm sure other members submitted theirs.
I believe more than a few of them are donated for the forum's use - I provided two FA* images - the FA*200/4 Macro and FA* 300/2.8 (Mo/Adam has since acquired the FA* 300/2.8). Adam and I "tag-teamed/begged/pleaded" another seller of an FA* 250-600/5.6 to let the forum have an image of the ones he used for his sale. He was very obliging...

QuoteQuote:
I recently did some darker ones, using my 24mm lens to accentuate the proportions of the lens on the camera:

(Click for bigger size. This was just two incandescent lights and a 5 second exposure at f/10. The background is a piece of warm grey matting board.)
Wow... that is mighty purdy Sean! What's that cost - around the price of a FA* 300/2.8 (body only I mean)????

Isn't that a film body? Sweet...

EDIT: ah, you bought a digital back for it - very nice! What do you think of the image quality?

Last edited by Marc Langille; 01-08-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: looked at Sean's gear page
01-08-2008, 05:48 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilm_user Quote
Wow... that is mighty purdy Sean! What's that cost - around the price of a FA* 300/2.8 (body only I mean)????

Isn't that a film body? Sweet...

EDIT: ah, you bought a digital back for it - very nice! What do you think of the image quality?
Thanks Marc,

Well, you know me - I'm a cheap b@stard, so I most certainly didn't pay what it is worth. The images are pretty sweet. ISO 800 is clean as a whistle, ISO 1600 is about equivalent of ISO 640 on the K10D. It's all-manual everything, so it is slower to use than the Pentaxes. I'm still getting used to the split-prism focus screen - when it works it is brilliant but sometimes it only gets in the way, but it could be because I never used one before.

And oh yeah - the lenses aren't as good as the best Pentax ones. What do you think about that?!?
01-08-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Thanks Marc,

Well, you know me - I'm a cheap b@stard, so I most certainly didn't pay what it is worth. The images are pretty sweet. ISO 800 is clean as a whistle, ISO 1600 is about equivalent of ISO 640 on the K10D. It's all-manual everything, so it is slower to use than the Pentaxes. I'm still getting used to the split-prism focus screen - when it works it is brilliant but sometimes it only gets in the way, but it could be because I never used one before.
Well, I thought you might be cheap, but not a b@stard...

Thanks for the information!

QuoteQuote:
And oh yeah - the lenses aren't as good as the best Pentax ones. What do you think about that?!?
Wow... OK, now I feel no Leica envy! I feel much better about my gear, especially the DA 12-24, and the 3 FA* lenses... too funny...