Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2012, 11:02 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
in my opinion also very good choice DA50-135 is great lens....

03-19-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Why don't you just get whatever YOU like and resonate with the most. Forget all this nonsense like "omg I won't be able to take portraits it's too short, or it's too long I can't take pictures of interiors". If that's all you care and think about (focal lengths) then you're not going to make a wise decision. The idea that you need to cover everything from 10 to 300mm is silly. All you need to do is take a few steps back or forward.
Just get what you want and then get used to it.
03-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #18

Original Poster
does it still have the SDM problems,. i thought it would have been sorted out by now
03-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
DA 35- sharp and sometimes too sharp for people shots. Another issue is that if it misses the focus, it whirs away hunting loudly until it finds it. After playing with it, I found that its most likely to happen if you do a macro shot and then focus on something far away for your next shot. Manually turning the ring away from close focus position after I am done with the close focus shot seems to do the trick. Still would not shoot kids or anything that moves quickly with it.

DA 70- lovely lens; about the only thing I don't like about it is that the min focus distance is quite long. But since I got the 50-135, I have used the DA 70 only when I really could not carry a long lens. No SDM problems so far and its been over 2 years since I got the zoom lens. But I did purchase a 7 year extended warranty...

03-20-2012, 07:24 PM   #20

Photos: Albums
I have the 31, 43, 77 limiteds, and used to own the 50-135.

The 43 is a wonderful multi use lens, it renders beautifully. If you were shooting inside the castle, I would think the 15mm limited you already have would suffice with the k5 and higher iso. The 43 for me is pretty versatile in portraits and stitched landscapes as I shoot it relatively shallow for portraits from 1.9 to 4, and f8 or above for landscapes. It is sharp wide open and just crazy sharp from f4 and on. It was my primary lens until I got the 31.

The 77 I love for portraits when I want to isolate the subject more, and when I want to shoot the subject and be selective with the background. Shot wide open, it delivers a great bokeh, and the smaller field of view helps me avoid unsightly or cluttered backgrounds, especially if you shoot indoors. I recently had a portrait session, and when I popped on the 77, the shots just kept flowing as I loved the focus just on the model. However, I do like to shoot with a tighter crop, so its up to your own personal taste.

The 50-135 I absolutely adored as a versatile and very sharp lens. On cloudy and sunny days, it delivered beautiful photos time and time again, and I didn't have to move my feet like I do with my primes :P - It may even help you have more "sharper" keepers if you zoom in, focus on the spot you absolutely want in focus, then zoom out to frame the pic. Sometimes, if you're standing farther away with the primes and shooting wide open to a stop down, the focus point doesn't always focus tack sharp on your intended spot especially if you're in lower light/contrast setting...recently I had to shoot the 31 limited on manual focus b/c the auto focus on my k20 wasn't perfect, with the k5 green focus light it would have probably been ok, but I don't like to switch lenses :P

If I already owned the 15mm, I would probably get the 50-135 first, and then save for the limiteds in this order 31/43/77. The 50-135mm basically will be the closest match in speed and focal length you will get with the DA 40 and DA 70. I got the FA limiteds because I anticipate/wishfor a full frame Pentax camera in the future, and I shoot in low light settings a lot, so the extra stop definitely helps me out. Hope this helps

Last edited by angelo9978; 03-20-2012 at 07:35 PM.
03-21-2012, 06:02 AM   #21

Original Poster
thanks for all the info

well i think i have made my mind
on the following lenses

DA 15mm (already have)
FA31 or DA35
FA 43
DA* 50-135 or Sigma 50-150mm

still cant decide on the 35mm or 31 considering every thing such as IQ speed value for the money which one would you suggest
and regarding DA* 50-135 how good will it be for indoor concert shooting and sports (indoor and out door ) regarding its AF (heard its pretty slow as well apart from the SDM) issues.
and if DA* 50-135 is not that good for above mentioned things how about the now discontinued sigma 50-150. heard it is nearly as good as the DA* and only thing lacking is weather proofing but has faster AF and reliable HSM

thanks for you input
03-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #22
Site Supporter

The 40 has quick shift AF the 43 does not, you need to switch to manual yourself. The 43 has f/1.9 which makes it much faster.

Same for 70 and 77. I got rid of the noisy 77 to get the 55 SDM. Less noise, much more pleasent to use for portraits. Makes you really happy at f/2 and is quite useful wide open. If you like the 1.7/50 you may also like the Voigtländer 1.4/58 mm manual focus lens. I think a dedicated portrait lens can always be accompanied by a 50-135 - I like to mention the Zeiss 2/100 for concerts. Pentax has nothing to offer in this domain. Large aperture and great IQ even wide open. The 77 is not on the same level at f/2. The same hold for 50-135 or 100 mm macro DFA at 2.8.