Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Let's try this: IF YOU COULD ONLY HAVE ONE LENS... would you continue with photography?
I am confused? What is the purpose of photography if you cannot collect lenses? Or would it be possible to just collect lenses and not continue with photography? But that seems silly..... I think my brain hurts......

03-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #62
Pentaxian

FA 31mm f/1.8 AL Limited on APS-C
FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited on FF
03-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I am confused? What is the purpose of photography if you cannot collect lenses? Or would it be possible to just collect lenses and not continue with photography? But that seems silly..... I think my brain hurts......
Let's say that you reside in the Great State of Wahoo where the great divinely-inspired legislature has passed the LBA (Lens Benevolence Act) absolutely prohibiting ownership of more than one camera lens. (And even that was a struggle, what with the holy proscription against graven images.) Would you remain in that state? Would you continue to practice photography? Would you be a scofflaw? If you were ONLY allowed one lens, what would you do?

I don't consider myself a lens collector. I'm not trying to "collect the entire set" of anything. I have a mixed bag of tools, a reference library of lenses, but I have no goal of "getting for the sake of getting". Lots of my kit came from curiosity -- g'z, I wonder how THIS one compares to THAT one? As I do more comparisons, I'll probably whittle-down that kit a bit.

And I've learned over many decades that we use various tools for various tasks, and no one tool is fit for all tasks. A 31Ltd would be great to own and use but it would come nowhere near fulfilling my photographic needs and desires. That's why I think the OP question is misguided. Asking for a favorite lens is rational. Asking for an ONLY lens, isn't.
03-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Tamron 17-50/2.8

03-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #65

Photos: Gallery
A better hypothetical question might have been: if all of your lenses were to be stolen/lost/destroyed in a natural disaster, and the only one you could keep would be one (perhaps by attaching it to a camera body that was to be saved from the same evil event :-) ), and you would not be able to replace your lenses for at least a year (financial/insurance/availability issue, what have you) -- which of your lenses would you choose to keep?

If that were the question, I would want to keep either my DA 15 -- which feels the most "special" to me -- or the Sigma 24/2.8 -- which I had the most complicated time acquiring. And if I had to shoot only that one lens for a year, I would have an easier time with the 24.
03-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
And I think the thing is... the question *is* hypothetical. No need for anyone to get all in a twist about it. jeez.
03-20-2012, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #67
Veteran Member

I like how this question is worded, "If you could only have one lens". I chose the FA43 to answer this exact question.

So , lets see. When I chose the 43 I knew a bunch of things and yet chose that.

Obvioulsy if I wanted the greatest range I would have picked the tamron 18-250 (used to own one). An excellent lens, has no rights to be that good for a superzoom. But, rather than have the range from 18-250, I'll rather settle to just shooting 43 and miss eveything else.

If I can only chooese one lens, will I dump a dslr and pick up a phone, a P&S etc?... Hell no! I'll rather carry around a big old DSLR to just use this one lens rather tahn a phone or whatever else.

I could have chosen the excellent Tamron 28-75/2.8 or the tamron 17-50/2.8 for very high IQ and still decent range. No! the 43 is so much better. Check some of the lenses I've used in the past, I'll still lose everything else just to be able to use the 43.

I picked the 43 not because I was not aware of what a DSLR is meant for and what other lenses has to offer, but fully well knowing exactly what this question meant. DSLR photography will still be a fun hobby even if 43 was the only lens I ever had. Some may have not found that lens and rather give up photgrphy or dslr or what ever...not me.

P.S: Anyhow, this question is posed in a relaxed manner so nitpicking the meaning really doesn't make much senses at all...I am not saying anyone is, as hypothetical discussions from all vantage points is still valid...so, i am cool with all the replies, even with those who would rather use their cell phone if they have to settle to one lens (however, difficult it might be for me to fathom this)