Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2012, 04:03 PM   #1

Gemini 28mm f2.8 lens questions

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

hi i am new and i have some questions about this lens i just picked up for $23.

i checked in the lens review sections but it seems like this lens hasnt been reviewed. the lens i bought isnt coming with a front lens cap so i was wondering if i should buy a lens filter if so what size and kind (plan on doing black and white as well as color photos) or just a lens cap possibly? i thought that filters thread onto the front of the lens but in this picture i cant see any threads or am i wrong about how filters go on a lens? this is the link to the lens i bought eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

and i guess my main reason for making this thread is to hear people's opinions on this lens or if anyone else has it or any experience with it. thanks

03-18-2012, 04:18 PM   #2
Closed Account

This appears to be an identical lens to the one in question. If so it is a 49mm filter thread.
Gemini 28mm f/2.8-22 Sharp Very Close 4 to 5 inch Focus Pentax PK Mount | eBay
03-18-2012, 04:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wcchamp18 Quote
This appears to be an identical lens to the one in question. If so it is a 49mm filter thread.
Gemini 28mm f/2.8-22 Sharp Very Close 4 to 5 inch Focus Pentax PK Mount | eBay
thank you for the reply. now i just wonder which kind of filter i should get. well time to start reading up i guess
03-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would say forget both cap and filter and get screw-on hood for around 3 or 4 dollars. Otherwise just put that thing on your camera and start shooting : )

Last edited by jaytee; 03-18-2012 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
03-18-2012, 04:50 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jaytee Quote
I would say forget both cap and filter and get screw-on hood for around 3 or 4 dollars. Otherwise just put that thing on your camera and start shooting : )
is there really any difference between lens hoods aside from the shape and size?

also i just thought about it but what about the light meter on my k1000? will it always be on if i dont have a lens cap? i would like to be able to use the light metering but i dont want to be going through batteries often
03-18-2012, 05:13 PM   #6

Since you only paid $23 for the lens I thought one of those rubber screw on lens hoods would fill the need at a low price. Protecting the front of the lens and improving image quality too. Not sure how the meter for that camera works.
03-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chris* Quote
is there really any difference between lens hoods aside from the shape and size?

also i just thought about it but what about the light meter on my k1000? will it always be on if i dont have a lens cap? i would like to be able to use the light metering but i dont want to be going through batteries often
Yes, there is a difference for lens hoods. Shallow hoods for wide angle lenses and deeper ones for longer focal lengths. If you use too deep a hood, it will cause vignette (dark areas in the corners).

Your new lens should work fine with your K1000 and should meter with no issues. As for needing the lens cap...Yes, the meter will remain on unless the lens is capped. The lens takes a 49mm filter and will accept pinch-type caps of the same size.

I can recommend an eBay vendor who has quality hoods and caps at reasonable prices. Here is a link:
Other Brand Hoods, Step Rings items in Heavy2stars Photo Gear store on eBay!
He sells a metal, screw-on wide angle hood that I have used and am happy with and which should work well with your new lens LINK.

Steve

(...no relation to heavystar, except as a satisfied customer...)

03-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes, there is a difference for lens hoods. Shallow hoods for wide angle lenses and deeper ones for longer focal lengths. If you use too deep a hood, it will cause vignette (dark areas in the corners).

Your new lens should work fine with your K1000 and should meter with no issues. As for needing the lens cap...Yes, the meter will remain on unless the lens is capped. The lens takes a 49mm filter and will accept pinch-type caps of the same size.

I can recommend an eBay vendor who has quality hoods and caps at reasonable prices. Here is a link:
Other Brand Hoods, Step Rings items in Heavy2stars Photo Gear store on eBay!
He sells a metal, screw-on wide angle hood that I have used and am happy with and which should work well with your new lens LINK.

Steve

(...no relation to heavystar, except as a satisfied customer...)
thanks for the reply but are the threads where the hood threads onto on the inside edge of the lens? i havent recieved the lens yet but in the picture thats the only place i would think itd be since the outside part doesnt look threaded. looks like im going to get a lens cap and that hood looks great so i might end up ordering that too.
03-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Banned

Photos: Albums
and i guess my main reason for making this thread is to hear people's opinions on this lens or if anyone else has it or any experience with it. thanks
I had it for a short while and then it got stolen:

It is a decent lens, but not amazing. Costed me the same price as yours. The worst part of my loss is that it was attached to a nice MX at the time.

The nicest part about this lens is that it focuses down to 25cm, so it is nice to use for closeup work. I don't know who made it. It reminded me a bit of the Vivitars of that era. Might be Korean too - an early Samyang production. I tried to find out more about it a few years ago, but it doesn't look like many people have it or know a lot about it.

As it's been said, forget the filters and get a wide metal hood. The threads are on the inside - that is the standard place for them. Just look for a 49mm wide hood and it will work. You can also wait to get the lens and then go to a camera store and get a hood from them so you can try it on the spot.
03-18-2012, 09:16 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
I had it for a short while and then it got stolen:

It is a decent lens, but not amazing. Costed me the same price as yours. The worst part of my loss is that it was attached to a nice MX at the time.

The nicest part about this lens is that it focuses down to 25cm, so it is nice to use for closeup work. I don't know who made it. It reminded me a bit of the Vivitars of that era. Might be Korean too - an early Samyang production. I tried to find out more about it a few years ago, but it doesn't look like many people have it or know a lot about it.

As it's been said, forget the filters and get a wide metal hood. The threads are on the inside - that is the standard place for them. Just look for a 49mm wide hood and it will work. You can also wait to get the lens and then go to a camera store and get a hood from them so you can try it on the spot.
ok thanks. im going to go ahead and just get this medal hood that comes with a lens cap that goes inside the hood that way i can just leave the hood on my lens all of the time. http://www.ebay.com/itm/200723416904?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984....#ht_500wt_1413

as soon as i get the lens im going to test it out and see how i like it if not i might try and pick up a vivitar wide angle or some 50mm not 100% sure yet
03-18-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
Banned

ok thanks. im going to go ahead and just get this medal hood that comes with a lens cap that goes inside the hood that way i can just leave the hood on my lens all of the time. eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

as soon as i get the lens im going to test it out and see how i like it if not i might try and pick up a vivitar wide angle or some 50mm not 100% sure yet
That hood is a great choice for your K1000. And I second Steve's recommendation for heavystar - I also purchased hoods from them and I am very happy with their quality - solid build and good quality paint.

If you ever plan to use this lens with a digital camera using an APS-C sensor, keep in mind that a normal hood will actually work better in that case. Like this one:

New Metal Standard 49mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap | eBay

Cheers!
03-19-2012, 06:19 PM   #12

Original Poster
That hood is a great choice for your K1000. And I second Steve's recommendation for heavystar - I also purchased hoods from them and I am very happy with their quality - solid build and good quality paint.

If you ever plan to use this lens with a digital camera using an APS-C sensor, keep in mind that a normal hood will actually work better in that case. Like this one:

New Metal Standard 49mm Screw-in Lens Hood + Cap | eBay

Cheers!
thanks for the reply . and i underestand there is a correlation between the length or depth of the hood and the lens focal length but i only plan on using this on my k1000 so im going to just get the smaller hood that i linked earlier.
06-06-2013, 11:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It is a decent lens, but not amazing.
I have used and still use this lens since 1986. In my experience, this lens is superb. Beautiful contrast and sharpness/ resolution that I find to be most excellent. I used it in some aerial photo projects and the ground detail from high altitude was fantastic. Truly an underrated jewel of a lens.

Last edited by cobbu2; 06-06-2013 at 11:35 PM. Reason: rewording