Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2012, 09:07 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Original Poster
why not wr DC prime and wr limited primes? sdm isn't that speedy anyway, expensive and has a bad record too.. Affordability and ruggedness goes well with k5 identity I think.

03-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
. Any high end lens should be WR these days.
yep, but how many high end pentax lenses are???????? certainly not any LTD lenses (of either fa or da)
And if you look at the nikon list not all are high end BTW
03-22-2012, 11:28 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ya know, I may be going against the grain here, but I wonder about the weather sealing being a "good thing".

When the DA18-135WR is connected to my K5, and I have a microphone connected, if you move the zoom in and out, it acts like a suction device pulling air in through the open mic connection.

So, it stands to reason that if you don't have all the plugs on the camera in place, and you use a WR, then you can actually suck in water/moisture pretty forcibly.

So while I like the WR sealing, I suppose in some cases it could be something very bad. If moisture DOES get inside, the weathersealing will keep it there.

It would be great if Pentax could recommend a place - inside the camera/grip - to put a little silica pack to handle the trapped moisture.

Again, I may be against the grain here.
03-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #49
Veteran Member

EVERYTHING should be WR...

We have weather, all lenses should be WR, unless you live in Arizona or only photograph stuff inside.

Price comes down in quantity, so make everything WR all the time, even the cameras.

Cheers,
Cameron

QuoteOriginally posted by lightbulb Quote
I know I do because K5 is a kickass best in class APS-C DSLR in the market. It makes sense to have good quality primes and zooms that are WR to match the body.

Please share your story about how WR benefits you and your photography, what kind of WR lenses for you and why. It could be short stories of an accident that your lens died or survived, a photographic situation that calls for WR for specific f stop and FL, or even personal wish list with reasoning.

I go first;

I chose Pentax because of WR capability of K5 and 18-135 after thorough research on the net. Because I love fishing and it takes me to water every time (quite obviously). My K5 and WR lens are used in saltwater environment regularly and exposed to salt spray and moisture. Having WR body and lens allow me to rinse my camera under the tap with a peace of mind. I used to own panasonic LX3 but it died on me after 1 year under same condition (no I didn't rinse it under tap, only wipe down with a slightly damp cloth).

I also had situations where I was happily wading in the shallow and realize my camera was in the water. I killed many cameras this way in the past. With K5 and WR lens, you will be surprise that can take a bit of abuse! Also some times I need to take shots where the camera is close to the water surface, without WR one will need a deep pocket to do that!

So all in all, I wish to have good quality screw driven WR primes in 15/2.4 and 30/1.8 for product shots and also fishing pictures near to the water. I think for those guys that are into dusty environment, waterfalls and seaside photography will see the benefits as well. I am sure you guys have experienced or heard horror stories of toppled tripod on freak waves and freak accidents. Some macro works will also exposed us to these elements, if there is a DFA60 WR I had be over the moon!

For WR zoom I would like to see DA star 16-70/2.8 and 70-300/4 without the problematic SDM.

To conclude, I think Pentax strength lies in the tank-like K5 built quality with fantastic IQ. We need more WR lenses to promote Pentax as the toughest APS-C DSLR system out there with kick ass IQ at reasonable price! There are many sports such as boating, kayaking, fishing and other extreme sports that require this kind of camera system. I think Pentax should consider to excel in this area.

Please share your views!

03-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
We have weather, all lenses should be WR, unless you live in Arizona or only photograph stuff inside.

Price comes down in quantity, so make everything WR all the time, even the cameras.

Cheers,
Cameron
in desert climates the sand becomes a big issue, but no need to really worry about fungus anymore
03-22-2012, 04:45 PM   #51
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Use external mic, or the grain of fine sand becomes a pain on a non wr lens:-P

QuoteOriginally posted by LaurenOE Quote
Ya know, I may be going against the grain here, but I wonder about the weather sealing being a "good thing".

When the DA18-135WR is connected to my K5, and I have a microphone connected, if you move the zoom in and out, it acts like a suction device pulling air in through the open mic connection.

So, it stands to reason that if you don't have all the plugs on the camera in place, and you use a WR, then you can actually suck in water/moisture pretty forcibly.

So while I like the WR sealing, I suppose in some cases it could be something very bad. If moisture DOES get inside, the weathersealing will keep it there.

It would be great if Pentax could recommend a place - inside the camera/grip - to put a little silica pack to handle the trapped moisture.

Again, I may be against the grain here.
03-22-2012, 06:38 PM   #52
Forum Member

Make mine a WR 21mm, w/ close focus. I'm thinking pictures from inside a fishing boat, from creek-side, at the beach, etc.

03-22-2012, 08:07 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
in desert climates the sand becomes a big issue, but no need to really worry about fungus anymore
At elevation, fungus is not an issue. Whether I'm at 3500ft / 1050m in the central Sierra Nevada mountains, or at 5500ft / 1650m in Bisbee on the Arizona-Sonora border, or at 8500ft / 2550m in Zacatecas Mexico, or at 10500ft / 3150m in Breckenridge Colorado or Alaska Guatemala (*), fungus is not a problem.

In the deserts of my experience between British Columbia and Guatemala, dust and sand have not been issues -- as long as I avoid blowing sand. But sand and salt and moisture (and fungus) do become issues on windy seacoasts. I *do* want a WR lens for my next expedition up the Pacific coast from Cabo San Lucas (BC) to Cape Scott (the other BC).

Moisture and fungus are also annoying in tropical lowlands, although I had no such problems in Belize. But I mostly avoid tropical lowlands. Highlands are much nicer. Except during blizzards.

(*) 'Alaska' Guatemala is on the volcanic rim of the collapsed Atitlan caldera, the highest point on the Pan-American Highway between Alaska USA and Tierra del Fuego.
03-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #54
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Adam if you are reading this please include WR Primes and Zoom in your next interview agenda with Pentax if possible.

Thanks!
03-22-2012, 09:13 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I want to see a DA 120-400 f/4.5-6.3 DC WR to complement the 18-135. Also a 12-28 f/4 DC WR...
03-23-2012, 05:39 AM   #56

I'd like to see a 25mm WR. Oh, wait...
04-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #57

I will be happy if I see 18-200mm/ 18-250mm WR
04-06-2012, 05:38 PM   #58
Pentaxian

The lack of WR primes seems odd. Maybe the extra seals can't fit into the ultracompact primes? I think that WR is more important on a zoom than a prime, anyway, since the zoom action tends to suck in more air.

I would like to see the DA21 WR and a long zoom. The 55-300 WR or maybe the new tele zoom from the lens roadmap.
04-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The lack of WR primes seems odd. Maybe the extra seals can't fit into the ultracompact primes? I think that WR is more important on a zoom than a prime, anyway, since the zoom action tends to suck in more air.

I would like to see the DA21 WR and a long zoom. The 55-300 WR or maybe the new tele zoom from the lens roadmap.
I think I posted it earlier in this thread but all I want is a WR mount on the primes. It would suck to lose a lens but I don't want to fry my camera. It happened once and it sucked not being able to take any photos for awhile.
04-08-2012, 01:23 AM   #60
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup, DFA100WR shows that WR Prime is possible.