Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tomm Quote
@ atekant: You're right, but still.. There should be plenty of nice shots. Yeah, I've heart many great stories as well. But on the other hand just as negative ones as well. Aaaah, so confusing..!

@ Sandy Hancock: Thanks for you're view on this topic! Pretty strange that the tamron is cheaper than the old Sigma model though, but it's true..! I've seen many great shots with the Siggy so thats why it is in my list. Do you think 20mm less focal range is a big loss?

@ Pinholecam: I've read your review. In fact I've read every single word written about the 18-135 haha. That's why I raised this thread, as a last escape . Anyway, pretty good review but still not convinced! But I wan't to be convinced, such a versatile piece of glass.. Could you post your best shot with the 18-135?
About the 28-75, do you think it's wide enough as a walk about without switching to much?
Sorry, the shots in the review was pretty much it. I kept the lens for about 2 months and I don't have a chance to shoot that often (and have plenty of other lenses to rotate using )
I really liked it, but preference for fast lenses as well has having SMC Takumar 135/2.5; K135/2.5 and FA135/2.8 just meant that the 18-135 had to go.

Your need for a low light lens worries me in recommending 18-135 to you without any doubts.

I like the 28-75 and find it comfortable to use the 28-35mm end of it for walkabouts.
These are about 43mm to 55mm on FF, which have always been considered 'normal'.
Its not possible to decide for anyone if the FL will be enough, you might want to gauge how you fare with only your M28/2 to get a better idea if the Tamron 28-75 is suitable.

You will eventually need to pair it with a 10-20 or 12-24 to complete UWA coverage.

03-22-2012, 11:09 AM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@ Daveholms: So you will choose for the 18-135 for its versatility, instead of tamron's IQ?

@ Jezza: I do prefer at least one zoom lens at first. Maybe later I will look at some nice primes

@Pinholecam: That's a pretty good idea actually! Maybe I will give it a try, nothing to lose.. Thanks!!

Anybody else an opinion on this issue?
03-22-2012, 04:16 PM   #18
Pentaxian

@ Daveholms: So you will choose for the 18-135 for its versatility, instead of tamron's IQ?

@ Jezza: I do prefer at least one zoom lens at first. Maybe later I will look at some nice primes

@Pinholecam: That's a pretty good idea actually! Maybe I will give it a try, nothing to lose.. Thanks!!

Anybody else an opinion on this issue?
I did a lot of comparison search between the Sigma 17-70, both the new and old versions, and the Pentax 17-70 F4. The reviewers have said that the Pentax 17-70 is very fast focusing because of the short throw on the focus adjustment. Also, it has manual focus override of auto focus. Also, it had very high remarks from photozone.de regarding its resolution characteristics, even on a 10 meg K10-hasn't been redone on the 16 meg K5 which would likely improve its resolution even more. I know its SDM, but problem rates on SDM have dropped dramatically in recent years. I've had zero problems with my other 2 sdm lenses and thats 3 years on both of them.

So if the photos that folks are publishing on the 18-135 aren't convincing, i will likely go with the 17-70 over the 18-135.

Is anyone out there waiting for the 16-85 thats on the lensmap? Its interesting that Pentax would put that on the map considering the 18-135, the 16-50 and the 17-70. What is Pentax thinking on this move - anyone have a clue as to why a 3rd zoom in this region
03-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
@Philbaum: The da 17-70 is pretty nice as well! But the sdm failure.. Well there are good stories and bad stories. Is it improved over the years? What about the sigma? Is the DA better in IQ as well? 16-85 will be amazing as a Da*. But probably will not be on the market for at least a year I guess.

Anymore thoughts?

03-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #20
Pentaxian

@Philbaum: The da 17-70 is pretty nice as well! But the sdm failure.. Well there are good stories and bad stories. Is it improved over the years? What about the sigma? Is the DA better in IQ as well? 16-85 will be amazing as a Da*. But probably will not be on the market for at least a year I guess.

Anymore thoughts?
I don't really worry about sdm anymore. I now have had 2 sdm lenses for 3 years each, trouble free. If you look at the recent poll that Adam did (not sure how to find it) on sdm problems by year, they show a marked reduction in sdm problems for every lens that had them. I've also read a post by someone who repaired their sdm lens, and the problem had to do with an overtightened adjustment screw. adjust it correctly, and no problems. Pentax lenses are guaranteed for 2 years, if i had a problem, i'd just get it fixed like every other lens problem. To me, that chapter is closed.

Reviewing photozone.de and slrgear.com, the IQ from the F4 is higher than either one of the Sigma's. It would be nice if photozone.de redid the Pentax 17-70 test on a K5 with 16mp, if they did its resolution numbers would really shine. Also i do a lot of live theatre shooting, and the sdm of the Pentax ver. is very quiet, i believe the older Sigma has a screw drive, so noise is a reason not to buy that one. Everyone has to make their own decisions but this one seems pretty clear for me.
03-25-2012, 06:18 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Just to update: I have also been on the fence with the same lens options, and finally decided to get a Sigma 17-70. It is the new version, but it is a very good deal used, so I decided to pick it up tomorrow.

The 17-50 is not long enough, so that dropped out of the race first. And I just couldn't convince myself to a 18-135

To tell you the truth, more than the cost, the deciding factor was the sample images I could find with the lenses. I mean no disrespect to the fellow photographers who used and posted images with the 18-135, but I found the samples to be very sharp, have great colors, but somewhat 2-dimensional. Don't know what gives that impression, but they kinda looked like postcards. (probably sharp with bright color rendition).

And the price savings can go towards one of the FA primes.
03-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
@Philbaum: thanks for the info! I think you're right. I will analyse it later this week, you'll hear from me!

@ Atekant: a PERFECT description of my 'problem' with this lens. I just can't figur out what I don't like about it. But I think its that 2-dimensional thing you're talking about. Problem for me is that I don't know what focal lengths I will need..... Does the extra 20mm make that much of a difference?
03-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by atekant Quote
Just to update: I have also been on the fence with the same lens options, and finally decided to get a Sigma 17-70. It is the new version, but it is a very good deal used, so I decided to pick it up tomorrow.

The 17-50 is not long enough, so that dropped out of the race first. And I just couldn't convince myself to a 18-135

To tell you the truth, more than the cost, the deciding factor was the sample images I could find with the lenses. I mean no disrespect to the fellow photographers who used and posted images with the 18-135, but I found the samples to be very sharp, have great colors, but somewhat 2-dimensional. Don't know what gives that impression, but they kinda looked like postcards. (probably sharp with bright color rendition).

And the price savings can go towards one of the FA primes.
If i could find a good deal on the Sig like you did, i'd buy it as well. I could really use one for the theatre work i do, its not like i want one if that makes any sense. What i'd really like is that 16-85 on the road map but can't wait that long.

03-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #24
Forum Member

Does the extra 20mm make that much of a difference?
That's quite a personal choice. Here are the realities of the 17-50:
Pros:
- 17-50 is the equivalent of the popular 24-70, on crop sensors
- you can always crop-in the missing 20mm
- limitations of equipment makes you a better photographer

Cons:
- 20mm difference is equivalent of 30mm on crop sensors
- the extra 20mm is 60% of the focal range of the 17-50
- the missing 20mm is 37% of the focal range of 17-70
- it is always better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

But that said, all these same arguments couldn't make me get the 18-135, so there it is, probably left you just as confused as before.