Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
You can compare results from a Pentax DA 40 on a K-5 to results from Nikon DX 35mm on a D7000, and the scores will tell you about lens quality because the sensors are equivalent.
Up to a point: the AA filters differ.

03-25-2012, 01:16 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. I'll try again. You can compare results from a Pentax DA 40 on a K-5 to results from Nikon DX 35mm on a D7000, and the scores will tell you about lens quality because the sensors are equivalent. If you compare a DA 40/K-5 to a Nikon D700/FX35mm, lens performance is eclipsed by the differences in format. The D700 lens scores will be much higher. You can't just compare raw lens scores, you have to look at what camera it was measured on.
Im not sure I understand that, but If your saying what I think you mean you have got it backwards if anything.
Most of the Nikon FX lenses perform better on APSC because they take advantage of the sweetspot of the lens sensor.
Therfore, the D700 almost always has poorer edge and corner sharpness than the same lens used on the D300.
03-25-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by westmill Quote
Im not sure I understand that
Clearly you don't understand. What I'm saying is that, if you're comparing Pentax lens scores to Nikon lens scores, make sure the Nikon was measured on an APS-C camera.

Go to DXO Lens Ratings. You'll see a camera mentioned below the lens name. If you want to compare that lens score to a Pentax lens score, make sure you change the Nikon to APS-C. For example the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 scores 33 on a D3X, or 19 on a D7000.

The DA 35mm f2/4 on a K-5 compares favourably to the Nikkor 35mm f/2 on a D7000, 15 points vs 16 points. The FA 35mm f/2 should easily make up the extra point.

Last edited by audiobomber; 03-26-2012 at 04:50 AM.
03-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
For even more DXO fun, compare the same lens (eg the SamYang 85/1.4) on Nikon and Canon APS-C bodies with identical pixel counts. The results aren't identical - even the T-stop figures, let alone the resolution scores differ. But then again Nikon is 1.5 crop, Canon APS-C is 1.6 crop, and they use different sensor designs too, highlighting the difficulties in making comparisons even when the same lens and MP are involved.

If the same lens was put on a K-5 and D7000 and DXO tested, I also wouldn't be surprised to see variations in the score, due perhaps to how the AA filters are setup etc on each body. Even if DXO mounted a Pentax lens on a NEX-5N and measured it against a K-5 (same sensor), you'd probably strike similar issues that limit comparability.

tl dr - we are never likely to see directly equivalent scoring on DXO of any Pentax brand glass with other camera bodies.