Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Yes I considered the 100WR, but got a good deal on a 70mm, so I bought it. Maybe 100 2.8 Macro next.

03-24-2012, 09:43 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes to 18-135, no to 17-70

QuoteOriginally posted by gmachine Quote
Ok, I currently have M28m 3.5, A50 2.8 Macro, 35 2.4 and 55-300 DAL. Just sold 16-45, F35-70 and 35-105 lens, wanting a general walk around lens. I liked the 16-45 but not enough range (up to 70-135mm would be better), the 35-70 was ok but not enough on wide angle end, the 35-105 too heavy. Was thinking about 18-135 zoom but have read too many negative reviews on it.
So I'm thinking about the Pentax 17-70. I just purchased a K5 so F4 wouldn't be much of a drawback since I would use it mostly in day time for my walks on nature trail and on the boat. Would have liked WR but guess I can live without it. Would like something with at least as good quality as my 55-300. Like the 50-135 zoom but a little out of my price range something under 500.00.
Any comments as to 17-70, I know sigma 17-50 2.8 has good reviews but not enough range for me. The more I research the more confused I get LOL
Would the 17-70 be a upgrade from my 16-45?
If it comes down to the 17-70 vs the 18-135, you do not want the 17-70 unless you can buy a used one for a very good price. I sold mine because I was getting tired of sending it to Pentax for repairs (twice before I stopped using it). Read the reviews here and you will see that it is a very common complaint. The lens is fine otherwise so if you find one for just over $300 you will be doing okay. I sold mine and netted around $325 and disclosed the recent repairs to the buyer. The buyer will likely have at least two years of use before any repairs are necessary so it was a fine deal for him. I now own the 18-135. The only real problem with the lens is the vignetting which is an easy fix in post processing. The 18-135 is the quintessential walk around lens. I haven't noticed many for sale so I'm thinking that most people keep theirs. For those perfect shots where you want the best glass you can get, you use your existing primes; for a carry around lens where you just want to be ready for anything the 18-135 delivers. As a bonus you get weather protection and it is much lighter than the 17-70. I've used mine in minus 20c weather and the new DC motor had no problem focusing while my fingers nearly froze off. I think the owners' reviews on this forum reflect what I'm saying. It is not Pentax's highest quality glass but it is not their lowest either. It is a mid-quality lens that you can use and abuse and always get the shot.

I rarely use it at the top -135 - end but for those occasions when I needed a telephoto in a hurry, I was glad it was mounted on my K-5.
03-24-2012, 10:37 AM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks Glen I will keep that information in mind when ready to make my next purchase. I really like many things about the 18-135 lens, saw one for sale on ebay, in like new condition for $345.00, I hesitated and it was sold.
03-26-2012, 12:37 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The focusing is really nice on the 18-135. Maybe it's just that the internal motor isn't as noticable as the 55-300's screw drive. I just bought the 18-135 and find it pretty nice for a walkaround. Everything's a compromise. I don't know if one lens can really take good shots of gnatcatchers in a maple canopy and bumblebees at ground level effectively...