Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #1
Forum Member

DA* 50-135 suitable for...

Hello!

Somewhat out of the blue, i've gotten the opportunity to take pictures at a festival sporting some rather known artists. As far as i know, i will both be photographing people and artists at their shows, but also in an interview setting. When considering my other shooting needs, which are outside in all sorts of weather, a lot of it takes place between 28 and 90mm, i've come to the conclusion that the DA* 50-135 would be a great lens for me. Expensive, but...i figure if i'm to get anywhere with this hobby of mine, i need good lenses, and if i don't get anywhere, i can always sell it. So...does anyone have particular experience using this lense with regards to photojournalism/interviews AND concert pics?

03-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven't been lucky enough to use it in a concert setting, but Jim Radcliffe (Google "Boxed Light") has some outstanding images using it, so I know it will work. I've used it for other low light indoor shots, and it works well on my K20D and K5. Overall, the image quality from this lens is outstanding and I'd highly recommend getting one. You might opt for an extended warranty, though, as I just had the SDM repaired on mine for $290.
03-20-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's a fine telezoom. Touted as the best DA* lens and good for people, events and action shots when you're relatively close to the action. The focusing isn't the fastest though for portraiture that's less of an issue.
03-20-2012, 01:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For festival, you get pretty close to people, especially you will take pic for interiew, I think 50-135 is too long. 16-50 is a better fit.

03-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies

Been reading up on the lens, and been browsing quite a few pics by it. Still feel it's expensive, and probably 'too good for my ability', but i feel both the cost and the IQ is manageable.

@liukaitc: It's an indoors-festival. There will be interviews with artists, the crowd, the crew, and what have you. Don't know how many, or in which setting yet. I will also be photographing some of the concerts, and i am pretty sure most of those will be without flash, and i don't know how far from the stage i will be positioned. I will be tagging along a smalll TV-team, so my job is to provide stills for the finished program, and my initial thought was to be as unobtrusive as possible, but thats perhaps not the way you get good pics in this setting? I will be bringing my M28 and my M50, and probably the trusty DA 18-55, so i sort of felt the focal length the 16-50 would provide would be covered somewhat by what i already own, but i will read up on it, and think of it, and i thank you for your advice

Ash: I'm used to the DA 18-55 and the DA 50-200 + a few manual lenses, so without knowing the speed of the 50-135, i'm confident it will be able to focus faster than me. How is it compared to the 50-200? Not always impressed with how that one sort of gets stuck in low light, but other than that i feel it's allright for what i do. I don't think any of the artists will be moving much faster than my Ridgeback

@rfortson: I've checked out Jim Radcliffe, and he takes great photos; a lot of what he does appeals to me, and is in the vain of the things i'd like to do. As for warranties; in Norway, we've pretty well covered by that, as long as we take normal care of our things
03-20-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
DA* 50-135 is quickly becoming my favorite portrait lens so far.
For small shows, the zoom range is just perfect. Low light AF works surprisingly better compared to my screwdrive AF lenses.