Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Forum Member

HELP: dust in lens?

I just got a new k10d for xmas.. I was away.. so I didn't even get to play with it until this week!

As I was taking some test shots tonight using my DA 18-55mm( trying to get the hang of AF, PTTL FLASH, Exposure, et all) when I noticed a "hair" in the upper left side picture. I took some test shots as sure enough it seemed I had dust somewhere.

I tried dust removal first. No change at all. Then I got the idea that the dust might not be in the camera at all. So I switched lenses ( using my old manual 50mm, taking the same test shot : no "hair") .

So.. I have conclude I have dust Not in my camera but on or IN my lens. #@$‹⁄›$#!

Does anyone have any experience cleaning a lens. I mean I tied using Lens tissue to clean the outside glass ( with lens still attached to the camera) but that didnt help. So I am thinking its on the inside of the lens? (dont tell, me it could be between the elements?!?)

Any advice would be appreciated.

01-08-2008, 09:06 PM   #2
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another odd thing.. looking THROUGH the viewfinder, I cannot see the "hair" anywhere ..it only shows in the actual shot. hmmm
01-08-2008, 09:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could be on the sensor even if it didn't show on the 50. Easiest way to test is to stop the lens down to f/22 and shoot a bright blue sky. Most sensor dust will show up.
01-09-2008, 07:27 AM   #4
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
that's what i use to do but now i create a white full size image in PS and shoot that for 1-1 1/2 seconds. it beats going outside. also it works when thare is no sun. just keep the ap number high..

01-09-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Yep, definitely dust on the sensor. If you are able to clearly see it in your images, that's what it is. Dust in or on a lens won't make any difference, unless there is A LOT (and I mean like 30 years in a dusty attic), and even then it will only result in an overall reduction in contrast or resolution.
01-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Check this out, btw: Dirty lens test
01-09-2008, 11:07 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Finn, thanks for that link...never seen it before.

My dad's old Viv 80-205 has heavy fungus in it, and the pictures were definitely a bit hazy. Usuable in bright conditions, but that's about all.

Even shooting through my 90 Macro which is starting to haze near the front, and has quite a bit of dust, these spots do not show up. I had a spec of dust on my 300D's sensor I could *see* and that showed up in every single picture.

Put your cam in bulb mode, remove the lens, get your Rocket Blower out, and in a dust-free environment tilt your cam towards the ground. Then hold down the shutter and start squeezing and hope it comes free. Worked a charm on my Canon.

Good luck.

01-09-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks. I tried it... it WAS dust on the sensor. used "diffused" compressed air... all is fine now. But.. why did the dust removal not take care of this?

Anyhow thanks all for your help.
01-09-2008, 01:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The dust removal won't always get everything. It will help keep it down, but not prevent it outright.