Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Da - 15

My new DA - 15 just arrived! It took me a few minutes (actually a google search) to figure out the lens hood but after that I'm off. I'll give it a thorough run through on the weekend. This should round out my collection nicely.

03-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Have fun with your new toy.

If you're like me, the supplied cap will go into a bag and stay there. A center pinch cap like this one takes it place.

I can attach/remove the cap even with the hood in the "out" position. To make it easier to grasp the cap inside the hood, I attach two small strips of self-adhesive sand paper to the center pinch of the cap.

03-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

nice, i second the use of a pinch cap!
03-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Yep. It' will either make or break the DA15 experience, IMHO. Well, or at least almost.

I got mine off of eBay from a US seller for $2.50 and it looks identical to the one above.

Last edited by Bramela; 03-23-2012 at 08:16 PM.
03-20-2012, 08:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
That cap looks like it was made for the Da 15. Is it a special brand?
03-20-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
That cap looks like it was made for the Da 15. Is it a special brand?
See link in my post above. It's $US 2.04 shipped. Its quality is higher than others costing much more.
03-20-2012, 10:48 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I was more afraid of losing the special lens cap than I was about dropping the lens. On the assumption that someday we all tire of our current toys and sell them, who wants to list a Limited lens as "missing original cap". Thats sounds so wrong. Add another vote to the cheap pinch cap.
03-21-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

any generic 49mm pinch cap will do i believe

well interestingly mine says "pentax" but it is obviously not an official one, basically the same as any other generic 49mm cap but it has the word pentax on it in nice silver lettering and it costed something like 20c extra so i just went for it

03-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
See link in my post above. It's $US 2.04 shipped. Its quality is higher than others costing much more.
Just a FYI -- dealextreme ships by boat from Hong Kong, so it'll take a few weeks (3-6?) to arrive. Or at least that's what I've heard.
03-21-2012, 03:27 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I was more afraid of losing the special lens cap than I was about dropping the lens. On the assumption that someday we all tire of our current toys and sell them, who wants to list a Limited lens as "missing original cap". Thats sounds so wrong. Add another vote to the cheap pinch cap.
Apparently it does not matter as everyone but me gets a different cap anyway :-)

I tried a pinch type on the DA40, but it kept popping off, though the tabs were on the outer edge due to size.
03-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by alphanerd Quote
Just a FYI -- dealextreme ships by boat from Hong Kong, so it'll take a few weeks (3-6?) to arrive. Or at least that's what I've heard.
It doesn't always take that long to Europe, and is well worth the wait for the insanely cheap deals.
03-21-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Glen Quote
My new DA - 15 just arrived!
Let's see some shots from your nice new glass!
03-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Badk to the lens

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Let's see some shots from your nice new glass!
And here I was almost going to change the name of the thread to "DA-15 Lens Caps" from "DA-15 Lens". Images will have to wait until the weekend. Presently I go to work in the dark and I come home when it is nearly dark. Some say I'm in the dark when I am at work. I'm looking forward to seeing what the lens can do as well. I'll try and post a shot with my DA18-135 from the same position as the DA15. It's not be a quality comparison but rather to give others a very good idea of what the extra 3mm can do.
03-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
My DA15 won't be minty condition by the time I'm ready to sell it (if that time ever comes) so losing the cap won't be that big of a deal.

QuoteQuote:
And here I was almost going to change the name of the thread to "DA-15 Lens Caps" from "DA-15 Lens". Images will have to wait until the weekend. Presently I go to work in the dark and I come home when it is nearly dark. Some say I'm in the dark when I am at work. I'm looking forward to seeing what the lens can do as well. I'll try and post a shot with my DA18-135 from the same position as the DA15. It's not be a quality comparison but rather to give others a very good idea of what the extra 3mm can do.
The DA15 is excellent on a tripod at night. Stop it down to f11-f22 for a long exposure with some lights in it and you will like what you see.

03-22-2012, 04:11 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Those DA starbursts just can't be beat!!