Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2012, 06:41 PM   #1

extended warranty for lenses

I just purchased the Pentax AF540 flash (waiting its arrival) and I'm now looking at getting the DA* 50-135. I asked this question in the K5 forum but I didn't get any responses. I plan on buying it from B&H and they offer extended warranties through NEW SageMax at $100 for a 3 year and $200 for a 5 year. Has anyone had any experience with this company? I don't know if they are reliable and provide good service. I called Pentax and they do not offer extended warranties for lenses, otherwise I would look at getting one through them. My main concern is the motor failing and someone posted recently that they just had theirs fixed for almost $300.

03-20-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those companies get mixed reviews, but technically, they should cover everything. The main complaint I've heard is that their phone support is pretty terrible as they don't know details about all the products that they provide warranties for.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2012, 04:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased the 50-135 from Adorama some time back, the extended warranty they were selling was through Mack. It was about 35 dollars for 7 years. I have not had to use it. Whew! But you never know. I would never have bought this lens without an extended warranty. They still sell it for the same price periodically. However the cost of the lens varies widely. If they are priced higher, I am sure they will match it.

Mack Camera Repair Mfr# 1017 SKU: CZW7L29
Mack 7 Year Warranty for Lenses Valued $600.00 to $1000.00.
$34.95

Some time back there was a discussion on this forum on Mack warranties.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/131551-mack-ex...arranties.html

I am not sure there will be much difference between Mack and Sagemax. In fact these companies simply contract the work out to third party repair shops. I think someone on this forum said that when they send it to Mack, it was actually send to the official pentax repair center for repair! But in a particular case you never know who will be doing the actual repair.

Also someone in this forum actually works for Mack.
03-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Jool Quote
I just purchased the Pentax AF540 flash (waiting its arrival) and I'm now looking at getting the DA* 50-135. I asked this question in the K5 forum but I didn't get any responses. I plan on buying it from B&H and they offer extended warranties through NEW SageMax at $100 for a 3 year and $200 for a 5 year. Has anyone had any experience with this company? I don't know if they are reliable and provide good service. I called Pentax and they do not offer extended warranties for lenses, otherwise I would look at getting one through them. My main concern is the motor failing and someone posted recently that they just had theirs fixed for almost $300.
Hi! My name is Desiree and I am the Customer Relations Supervisor for Mack Camera. Please let me know if I can answer any specific questions regarding our warranties. I can be reached via email at helpdesk@mackcam.com.
Thank you,
Desiree

03-26-2012, 11:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
motor issues noted but not necessarily fixed

I talked to someone at Pentax USA today. I expressed my concern about the problems with the motors in the DA* lenses and asked if anything has been done over the years to correct the problem. I was told that there were not any design changes but that the issues with the motor have been noted and the technicians consider that when a new batch of lenses are manufactured. What exactly this means is unclear but that's all the information I was given. I checked with my credit card company and they double the warranty period for products bought with their card, so I may just do that if I end up getting the 50-135. At least that will give me two years at no extra cost.