Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Personally I have more FUN when I'm using a manual focus lens

I just worry about missing certain shots...

But I read that with macro, manual focus is actually MORE convenient

I really want to buy this lens, but I'm hesitating because I live in CA and don't want to pay sales tax!!

01-11-2008, 01:58 AM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Personally I have more FUN when I'm using a manual focus lens

I just worry about missing certain shots...

But I read that with macro, manual focus is actually MORE convenient

I really want to buy this lens, but I'm hesitating because I live in CA and don't want to pay sales tax!!
Manual focus on 1:1 macro is the only way to go.

Just to let you know - production of this lens ceased a while back. Get it while you can.

Move to Arizona - that's gotta be cheaper than sales tax on $700.
01-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Just to let you know - production of this lens ceased a while back. Get it while you can.
I have been looking at this lens, and don't want to pass it up if it is something that I should have. I currently have the Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro lens (manual focus). How do these two lenses compare? Is it worth it to buy the Voigtlander 125mm Macro lens, and sell the Kiron? I know that they are both very fine macro lenses, I would like to know if I should pull the trigger today.
01-11-2008, 08:14 AM   #19
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
I have been looking at this lens, and don't want to pass it up if it is something that I should have. I currently have the Kiron 105 f/2.8 Macro lens (manual focus). How do these two lenses compare? Is it worth it to buy the Voigtlander 125mm Macro lens, and sell the Kiron? I know that they are both very fine macro lenses, I would like to know if I should pull the trigger today.
Mostly supposition, but probably not ... I'll let someone who has worked with both say definitively tho.

I say do what I did and just go to PBase and click through their menu to view the camera by brand; it also includes lenses. And click on the link for both and view a few dozen to hundred shots.

01-11-2008, 01:08 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Or don't forget Vivitar 105mm macro, quite good performance in deed.
01-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #21
and
Veteran Member

I know I wouldnt trade my 125 for a kiron, or a vivitar.
01-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
I just spoke to Stephen at Cameraquest.com and ordered mine... Woo-hoo!

Oh, he said to warn everyone that he only has 4 or 5 left!!!

So, if you really want one - you had better order it in the next few days...

Oh, is anyone interested in my Kiron 105mm F/2.8 macro?

01-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #23
and
Veteran Member

Ok, I have a general question about Voigtlander lenses. What is the great attraction? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question... But I am curious.

I just spoke to Stephen at Cameraquest.com and ordered mine...
Now to call Stephen and ask for our comission...

To quote my dad when we did a shoot of my sisters kids together (he uses canon) and I used my 125 and showed him the first shots on the LCD. "...does that lens come in EOS mount?"

Be sure to check back with us and let us know what you think of your new lens.
01-11-2008, 06:00 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but I can say that it truly is one fine lens. I'm blown away by it's retro-ish hefty build, it's smooth focus action, the metal hood, and best of all, the amazing image quality. The contrast, sharpness, color, and bokeh I get from it are all beautiful. I've yet to take any real macro shots with it. I've used it mainly for mid distance shooting. I don't regret this purchase at all.
Attached Images

01-11-2008, 06:02 PM   #25
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Miller Quote
I've only had mine for a couple of weeks, but I can say that it truly is one fine lens. I'm blown away by it's retro-ish hefty build, it's smooth focus action, the metal hood, and best of all, the amazing image quality. The contrast, sharpness, color, and bokeh I get from it are all beautiful. I've yet to take any real macro shots with it. I've used it mainly for mid distance shooting. I don't regret this purchase at all.
Sounds like we have the same lens I have also yet to do a real macro with mine, its mostly teleporto and portraits for me too
01-11-2008, 11:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Quick question. When the lens is fully retracted or extended, does the front lens body wobble a bit? A seller of this lens told me that his lens wobbled a bit when it's fully retracted. I don't know if this is common since none of my lenses display such sign. Thank you.
01-12-2008, 01:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
Quick question. When the lens is fully retracted or extended, does the front lens body wobble a bit? A seller of this lens told me that his lens wobbled a bit when it's fully retracted. I don't know if this is common since none of my lenses display such sign. Thank you.
Voigtlander 125mm macro is best made in terms of construction. Sturdy, solid with fine fine fine manual focus. A luxury experience.

The shots can be mesmerising: Multiple uses ...

01-12-2008, 01:48 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by and Quote
I know I wouldnt trade my 125 for a kiron, or a vivitar.
Come on, Vivitar is not that bad. The shots posted in this forum proved it as good buy with the price it commands!

Voigtlander 125mm macro is expensive!
01-12-2008, 02:36 AM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by aegisphan Quote
I just tried mine - it is the non-wobble version. *Whew*! It is one rock-solid chunk of metal and glass.

01-12-2008, 05:07 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Nice shot, Jeffrey. Love the crop/composition