Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2008, 01:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Availability of Voigtlander 125mm macro lens?

I'm trying to find this thing for sale, but not having much luck on availability...

B&H says it's back ordered...

Anyone know of a US dealer that has these in stock?

I appreciate the help!

-Tim

01-09-2008, 01:44 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi Tim-

I believe cameraquest.com is where everyone is picking these up. The site says that they still have it in stock. Good luck!
01-09-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Mike!

-Tim
01-10-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
As Mike wrote Cameraquest is the frst place to go. But even there the Voigtlanders in PKA get rare. I just received a 180/4 from a Hong Kong seller, brand new and very cheap (260 USD + 25 USD shipping to Europe. May be he can get more/others? His ebay ID is "leescp"

regards
Ben

01-10-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

LOL, it's actually 260 Euro. However, overall, the price would be around what cameraquest is asking.
01-10-2008, 09:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm having a problem that's keeping me from pulling the trigger on this lens...

I read somewhere that it would be very difficult to see if things are in focus or not because the viewfinder will be too dark without getting a katz-eye or something similar?

Can someone explain this to me? I don't understand why it would be different than any other lens... is this just BS?

Thank you anyone who can answer

-Tim
01-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #7
and
Veteran Member

It wont be darker, it will be brighter than other lenses in the same range due to the slightly larger max aperture.

It is an MF only lens and some people have trouble doing MF without a focusing aid such as katz eye. I have this lens and I also have a split prism focusing screen, altho not a katzeye.

But its no different from other lenses in that regard, well other than the extremely long focus throw. so if you can mf your other lenses then you can mf this one.

01-10-2008, 12:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Andreas can you explain what a split prism focusing screen does for you?

What is the major benefit of one? Or how does it change the way you take pictures?

-Tim
01-10-2008, 12:42 PM   #9
and
Veteran Member

the difference from a normal matte screen is the inclusion of a split prism in the center of the focusing screen, the center prism will be surrounded by a ring of micro prisms (same as the one in the middle but much smaller).

What these prisms essentially do is to exaggerate the effect of an out of focus image so it will be easier to tell when it is in focus. the center ring is split into two halves, if you for instance have a clear black line going down a wall and you put that in the center of the frame without the lens being in focus, you will notice that the two halves of the line do not make up a straight line, it is broken, when you turn the focusing ring the two halves will come together untill they line up and you have achieved focus.

the microprism ring, also called microprism collar, will essentally work by making the image very blurry when it is not in focus, and clear when it is, if you dont have any clear lines but lots of detail, eg fur, then using the ring can be easier than using the center.

Old manual slrs commonly came with this type of screen by default as it deffinetley makes it easier to focus manually. one of the reaons why it is not shipped by default now is that the more coarse ground glass eats more light and makes it darker when most people want a brighter VF.

These also have several problems and drawbacks related to the metering of the camera. The AF will not be affected by a split prism screen but the metering will, because the metering sensor is behind the focusing screen so a darker screen cuts down the light reaching the metering sensor. There is no official split prism screen for current pentax dSLRS so you have to use an older pentax one or a third party one and these are not guaranteed to work well with metering. basically the problems that arise will happen with slow lenses, lenses that are f2.8 or faster will normally not have problems, but slow ones will. for instance my 18-50 zoom at 50mm (max f5.6) will underexpose by 3 stops on my k10d. whereas an f2.8 zoom will expose with no problems. Also a problem is that with slow lenses and in low light, one half of the split prism will black out, making the prism unusable.
01-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow, thank you!

That was incredibly informative!!

I am going to skip out on the split prism because I love low light photography and have slow lenses, so it sounds like it'd be impossible to use!

But thank you! Now I think I can order up that Voigtlander...

-Tim
01-10-2008, 04:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ok, I have a general question about Voigtlander lenses. What is the great attraction? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question... But I am curious.
01-10-2008, 05:01 PM   #12
and
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
Ok, I have a general question about Voigtlander lenses. What is the great attraction? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question... But I am curious.
In general these are very high quality lenses, assembled by hand in Japan at the same factory that makes the new Zeiss SLR lenses but come at an affordable price.

Specifically for me, and I can only speak for myself and the SL 125 (I also have the SL 180 but have not used it as much and dont have the same impression of it).

The SL 125 is by far my best lens and I can only dream of having lenses this good at all focal lengths, optically and mechanically it has no weaknesses. Its the sharpest lens I own, even from wide open its so razor sharp I cant belive my eyes.

It has no CA, no PF, no Vignetting, no distortion.

The color is great and its famous for its lovely bokeh.

The build quality is great, its all metal, even the lens hood is metal.

The MF ring is the best of the lenses I own, its big (the whole outer lens barrel) and the resistance is just the way I like it.

I use mine mainly for portraits and general teleporto use, I dont use mine for macro that much, just because I dont do macro that often, but this is great at everything so no problem.

The only drawback for some is that it is an MF lens. I MF my AF lenses so it doesnt matter for me. Other than that, whats not to love? Have you seen some of the macro shots from this lens... Here is a HUGE thread with pics from this lens from dSLRS of most all brands ÎÞ¼ÉÂÛ̳ - ¸£Â×´ï125/2.5SL½»Á÷¾ãÀÖ²¿

Lenses doesnt get much better than this, for me at least... My dream is that they made the 125 in all focal lengths, the exact same lens but with different FL, I love the rendering of this lens.
01-10-2008, 05:43 PM   #13
Inactive Account

I also have the Voigtlander Macro APO-Lanthar 125mm /f2.5. It is by far the best lens I have owned - but that is purely a subjective opinion as I have no means to measure a lens scientifically. Opinions aside, it has an amazing combination of favourable characteristics not normally found in one single lens. I am not sure if all Voigtlander lenses are of the same quality as this one, but I'll bet they don't make any lemons. The greatest 'fault' is that it is a manual focus lens. Personally I am over it and turning the dampened metal barrel is not a problem.

I was blown away viewing images on various websites produced by this lens so I bought one. However, producing stunning images with this lens is unquestionably immensely gratifying.

There is a review here. He uses a Canon camera but I don't think it makes a difference.
01-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TomInJax Quote
All great answers to this already. I'll only add, for me it was this thread and those linked throughout (some of those posted above) that explained it for me.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/13248-voigtl-n...-thoughts.html
01-10-2008, 09:08 PM   #15

I also just recently purchased the 125 and the 180. I must agree with everything that has been said above. These lenses far surpase what I expected. They are extremeley sharp.

Ironically the 180 has been pretty much glued to my lense since I got both of them. I use it extensively outdoors for medium telephoto shots.

The Voightlander lenses really shine in the sharpness of the subject in focus, color, and rendering of the background.

The only adjustment really is to get use to manual focusing. I rather like it- and I moved to DLSR From a really really old point and shoot. I actually ended up getting a Manual Focus Sigma 24mm 2.8 since I really dont mind it at all.