Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #1

gemini 28mm lens problem/question please help

i received this lens today but as soon as i took the lens out of the box i could hear a little rattling noise inside the lens. it sounds almost like sand. is this normal or do i need to send it back? also on the listing when i bought the camera it was titled "Gemini for Pentax Pk 28mm Manual Focus Lens" but i didnt notice in the picture and on the lens as im holding that it says auto on it. did i buy an incompatible lens? i will find out on my own tomorrow when i get my camera. but i was just worried and wanted to ask you guys about the rattling and about it being compatible with my k1000. thanks any help would be greatly appreciated.

this is the listing
Gemini for Pentax Pk 28mm Manual Focus Lens | eBay

03-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it has an A in the aperture lineup its an automatic aperture capable lens, you just wont use that setting on a K1000.
Is the rattle like a tiny screw wandering around or actually like sand? There are certain screws that like to work loose and wander about inside lenses, especially the ones that hold the fine adjustment for the focus in place, you may need a set like this: Amazon.com: Screwdriver, JIS Type S Set, 5Pc Plastic Handle: Home Improvement to take the front or rear off off the lens since anything that looks like a phillips is one of those JIS screws. If someone here knows how to get the front trim ring off you may find the adjustment screws loose, the rear cap just unscrews but if its an A lens don't lose the tiny ball and spring for the electrical contact when the cap comes off.
03-21-2012, 05:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
If it has an A in the aperture lineup its an automatic aperture capable lens, you just wont use that setting on a K1000.
Is the rattle like a tiny screw wandering around or actually like sand? There are certain screws that like to work loose and wander about inside lenses, especially the ones that hold the fine adjustment for the focus in place, you may need a set like this: Amazon.com: Screwdriver, JIS Type S Set, 5Pc Plastic Handle: Home Improvement to take the front or rear off off the lens since anything that looks like a phillips is one of those JIS screws. If someone here knows how to get the front trim ring off you may find the adjustment screws loose, the rear cap just unscrews but if its an A lens don't lose the tiny ball and spring for the electrical contact when the cap comes off.
it almost sounds like a little bit of sand and like a tiny metal screw. i have a feeling i think it might have something to do with the aperture as well because the blades are not 100% flush and the aperture only gets smaller when i go from f2.8 to f4. and aftter f22 it says AP so i believe its an automatic.

i think im going to contact the seller and get a refund.
03-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Even on the automatic aperture lenses you can use the full range manually, something is wrong with the lens, if you can get a refund get one, otherwise its a learning project for lens repair.

03-22-2012, 12:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chris* Quote
it almost sounds like a little bit of sand and like a tiny metal screw.
Does it sound like tiny ball bearings would do? Some lenses use ball bearings in the aperture mechanism (the Mitakon 85/2, for example) - those rotate loosely around the mount, but it is nothing to worry about. If everything else looks good and the lens operates properly, this is most likely what you are hearing.