Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Lens review question

Why are some lenses listed twice in the reviews with different prices and ratings? For example, in the Pentax Forums> Third-party lens reviews> Tamron Lenses for Pentax: Legacy Zoom lenses, there are two listings. One is the Tamron 75-300 1:4-5.6, LD with a 8.67 rating and a price of $118. Right below that is a Tamron 75-300 1:4-5.6, LD Tele-macro 1:3.9 with a 7.50 rating and an average price of $76. Are these two different lenses? or the same lens but just a second review? I'm looking at a little longer lens and right now I have my eye on either a Tamron 28-300 or a combo Tamron 28-105and a Tamron 75-300 for just about the same price as the 28-300. I already have a DA L 18-55, an F 35-70, and a DA L 70-200, so I don't really need the shorter lens. The 28-300 seems to be faster on the short end but slower on the long end which is where the lens will be used most. Dang! I want it all!

03-21-2012, 08:51 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like those are different lenses because of the apertures- I'd click in and read the reviews to confirm.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-21-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I just glanced at those. They appear to be the same model lens. Is there a database mechanic in the house?
03-22-2012, 03:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Without reading the reviews and looking at the lenses and specs, it could be that one of the reviewers started a review thread with an incomplete model and the other with the full lens designation.

The other option is that there could be two variants one which offers close focus, and one that does not.

These two variants could have different optical designs as a consequence

03-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Without reading the reviews and looking at the lenses and specs, it could be that one of the reviewers started a review thread with an incomplete model and the other with the full lens designation.

The other option is that there could be two variants one which offers close focus, and one that does not.

These two variants could have different optical designs as a consequence
Or something like that. Sometimes there is cross-pollination between entries. Without a clear indication of model number or distinguishing marks there is plenty of room for confusion. Add in a few people posting reviews for the wrong lens...well, you see what I mean.

As for the two lenses in question...the photos and descriptions are essentially the same, though it is anybody's guess what lens these people are talking about!

Steve