Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

FA 43 vs. FA 50/1.7 vs. F 50/1.7

Anyone have experience with multiple or all of these and can comment on how IQ compares? I used to have FA 50/1.7 and now have FA 43. Without comparing them side by side, the 43 seems to have superior micro-contrast, but sharpness seems pretty equal. OOF rendering is different, but I don't think better with one or the other. I've never tried F 50/1.7. I'm considering whether I should replace the 43 with one of the 50's to free up some $ for other lens purchases, but not sure I want to part with the 43. Just trying to get some thoughts and perspective on how these compare...

Thanks!
-Brandon

03-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Its really personal preference.
I have the 43ltd, and both the M and A 50's (1.4/1.7/2)
43ltd is certainly sharper from f1.9, much sharper from f2.5 to f4.
After that, sharpness is isn't too big a deal for either lenses.

What the 43ltd is more special to me :
1. Focal length is a bit more versatile on APS-C and easier to use indoors.
2. Sharpness + Contrast + rendering, under the right lighting seems to more often produce a 'pop' to the images
3. Small and compact.

I've never found the 50/1.7 (both A and M versions) to be any sharper that the f1.4 versions at f1.7.

The 50/1.7 does 'suffer' from a lack of aperture blades though, and this can be evident in the bokeh in some instances (hexagonal highlights/bokeh)
03-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used the F50mm f/1.7 and the FA43, the F50 is very good but the FA43 beats it in rendering, bokeh, and sharpness.

The DA*55 is even better again
03-21-2012, 11:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I had FA50 1.7 and now I have FA43 1.9. Both are very good lenses, FA43 is superior in sharpness and colour rendition, FA50 to me seems to have smoother bokeh. Myself I prefer FA43.