Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2006, 05:49 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Opteka mirror lens 500mm: anyone tried one?

Has anyone tried one of those Opteka 500mm mirror lenses? I'd like to have a long lens for very occasional wildlife photography, and can't afford/justify good Pentax glass in that sort of length.

12-26-2006, 08:29 PM   #2

I have not tried them.. but I would be interested in any expereince with them or the long lenses that Opteka makes. I know they are not fast, F/8 but they have to be useful in some situations.
12-27-2006, 05:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Don't know anything about the particular product you are asking about, but Opteka is known for making junk and I would not waste any of my hard-earned money on anything they make.

You can do a search on dpreview for more opinions.

What might be a better choice for what you want to do is a spotting scope. I haven't done this myself yet, so can't vouch for the results, but you can do a search on dpreview under 'digiscoping'.
12-27-2006, 10:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I've only had Opteka conversion lenses for my A95/A620. Very poor, and they sit uselessly on my shelf now.

I would not buy any Opteka lens without a trial, no matter how cheap.

Mirror lenses do not have the greatest image quality. I had a Sigma 600 in the old days that was not bad, but not great either. It is on my "maybe" list, however, if the size/weight/performance/cost of the Sigma 135-400 or 200-500 turns me off.

12-28-2006, 02:34 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the caution, guys, I appreciate it. Looks like I'll put that idea aside for a while.