Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2008, 04:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sailor Quote
I've not heard of anyone who does not enjoy the FA 35/2.
Sorry but I beg to differ. To me, the 35/2 is the perfect example of a lens which is sharp, has nice colors and contrast, but produces photographs that I don't like very much. IMHO, this lens has a harsh rendering and lacks the overall "roundness" that makes a photograph pleasant to the eye. Look closely at the two samples on this thread: they are indubitably great pictures, but I find something a bit disturbing in the bokeh and overall rendering that prevents me to consider them as perfect.

This lens would be the best illustration for Michael Johnston last Friday's blog entry.

Cheers!

Last edited by Abbazz; 01-12-2008 at 04:16 PM.
01-12-2008, 06:33 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
Sorry but I beg to differ. To me, the 35/2 is the perfect example of a lens which is sharp, has nice colors and contrast, but produces photographs that I don't like very much. IMHO, this lens has a harsh rendering and lacks the overall "roundness" that makes a photograph pleasant to the eye. Look closely at the two samples on this thread: they are indubitably great pictures, but I find something a bit disturbing in the bokeh and overall rendering that prevents me to consider them as perfect.

This lens would be the best illustration for Michael Johnston last Friday's blog entry.

Cheers!

I have to agree on this point. While I had an opportunity to try a 35/2, a Sigma 28/1.8 was the end choice due to simply having a more... "pleasing" image. It's a hard thing to put in words, but the difference is unmistakably there.
01-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote

Cheers!
Oops - I spoke too soon. Serves me right for responding to the OP (against my better judgement) about something that's totally subjective. At the end of the day, assessment of a lens' performance is personal. What "roundness" is to you may be "muddy" to me; we're all wired differently and see things differently.

The only real way to tell whether a lens (car, boat, muscial instrument, pair of speakers, toothpaste . . . . ) hits your sweet spot is to try one yourself. That's what the OP should do without paying much attention to what any of us think.

Jer

Last edited by Sailor; 01-13-2008 at 09:47 AM.