Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2016, 04:45 AM   #1606
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
Norm, that's a hardrock (underground) mining trolley. May I ask what is mined nearby?
I'm coming to understand that most of the northern woodlands were settled by the white man due to some kind of mining.- certainly true where I live; copper and not all that far away, iron. The semi-precious gem amethyst is mined across Lake Superior in Ontario and nickel at the northeast corner of Lake Huron. I certainly doubt these regions would have expanded beyond the native population and fur trade otherwise.

By the way Norm, it was your photos that convinced me to upgrade from my K-30 and mount my 18-135 on a K-3. The K-30 is an excellent camera, but the controls on the K-3 just flow under my fingers and I really like the tonality produced by its sensor.

06-26-2016, 05:19 AM - 5 Likes   #1607
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3 with DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR

love the versatility with this lens:

06-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #1608
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Norm, that's a hardrock (underground) mining trolley. May I ask what is mined nearby?
I'm coming to understand that most of the northern woodlands were settled by the white man due to some kind of mining.- certainly true where I live; copper and not all that far away, iron. The semi-precious gem amethyst is mined across Lake Superior in Ontario and nickel at the northeast corner of Lake Huron. I certainly doubt these regions would have expanded beyond the native population and fur trade otherwise.

By the way Norm, it was your photos that convinced me to upgrade from my K-30 and mount my 18-135 on a K-3. The K-30 is an excellent camera, but the controls on the K-3 just flow under my fingers and I really like the tonality produced by its sensor.
Bancroft is considered the mineral capital of Canada, there are many different minerals found here. There is a big mineral fair here each year held on the long August weekend, and in the old train station is a display run by the "mineral Club of Bancroft."

Bancroft Gem and Mineral Club Mineral Museum

I've been to the amethyst mines near Thunderbay. They blast into a seem, they bring the blasted material up to the parking lot with a front end loader. For a certain amount of money you can use their high volume hose to wash away silt and search for amethyst.. I went with my two kids and GF of the time, we would have had better stones not paying to work and just buying from the gift shop, but we had an hour of the thrill of the hunt.

The area around us was white pine country and was looted extensively for the tall pines used as masts by the British navy and merchant mariners, in their sailing ships. The only mines in this area are small and exist because of the existence of logging roads. None of them could have supported roads across the muskeg and rock or the area, which can cost millions a mile. IN fact, given that 7 different Ontario rivers start on the Algonquin Dome and they provide clean water for much of the province, it makes no sense to have any mines here at all. Despite what they say, they despoil the landscape and pollute the water. There are several watersheds in Ontario that are polluted by old mines, that have gone bankrupt. The mining association claims they are cleaning them up and that it's no longer an issue, but it only takes a 15 minute inspection of a working mine site (or paper mill) to know what a load of crock that is. And at the rate the mining association is working it will take about 200 years before all polluted Ontario waterways are safe, if in fact they ever are.

Last edited by normhead; 06-29-2016 at 09:00 AM.
06-27-2016, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #1609
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Batman's Family Car

(also posted in 'Post Your Photos!')

1950 Mercury Coupe
Big, brawny and boat-like – the hallmarks of some of the automobiles of the early 1950’s. This black, sinister-looking customized version of the Merc Coupe could be Batman’s family car. What a lumbering beast – 0-60 mph in just under 18 seconds (0-100 km/h in 20)! Far from an economical car in today’s standard, gas mileage was 13 mpg (USG) or 18.5 litres/100 km. Yikes.

- Craig

K-5 II; DA 18-135 mm at 18 mm, 1/40, f/8, ISO 400.

Last edited by c.a.m; 06-28-2016 at 10:45 AM.
06-30-2016, 05:48 AM   #1610
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
That dragon fly is superb!
06-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #1611
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
That dragon fly is superb!

thank you...
07-01-2016, 07:25 AM   #1612
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree Rod that dragonfly is excellent.

07-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #1613
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Scorpio71GR Quote
I agree Rod that dragonfly is excellent.
thank you...
07-01-2016, 07:43 AM   #1614
Pentaxian

You might be taking over from me as the leader of the DA 18-135 pack. Everyone has to retire sometime.
07-01-2016, 08:03 AM   #1615
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You might be taking over from me as the leader of the DA 18-135 pack. Everyone has to retire sometime.
thank you - I'll take that as a compliment....

(:
07-01-2016, 08:14 AM   #1616
Pentaxian

thank you - I'll take that as a compliment....

(:
It's an important position, don't take it lightly...

But honestly the position was bestowed on me by some new 16-85 uses who posted that they were trying to create a thread like "normhead's 18-135" thread. I had no idea it was my thread, and I don't even know why it wasn't mattb123's or any of the many other excellent posters in this thread, but, I'm waiting for hip surgery, I'm not shooting as much as I used to, and even though I'm not sure I have a torch to pass, I'm happy to pass it on, whatever it is.

Last edited by normhead; 07-01-2016 at 08:20 AM.
07-01-2016, 08:21 AM   #1617
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

K-3 with DA 18-135mm f3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR

I'll try to carry it with aplomb!

the missus has a new sock-project:

07-02-2016, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #1618
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It also does fireworks well! I went to the Canada Day fireworks at Ashbridges Bay Toronto yesterday.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
07-02-2016, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #1619
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At the Terrigal Beach Markets (2 July 2016).

07-03-2016, 12:46 AM   #1620
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
At the Terrigal Beach Markets (2 July 2016).

RayAllen, the first pic makes my mouth water/drool. I cannot get enough sour/tart toppings. Nice pics too. TFS Cliff