Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8905 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2017, 01:34 AM - 2 Likes   #2041

Monochrome mood

I like stopping by this little boat harbor, where a lot of fishing, diving and tour charters are based, along with some pleasure boats. The big powerboat on the right is a 50' Sunseeker yacht.

Kewalo Basin Boat Harbor

Bit closer look at the powerboat.

Kewalo Basin Boat Harbor

This is just past the boat harbor, looking toward Diamond Head and Waikiki. I don't know what the concrete structure in the foreground is, or was.

Diamond Head from Kewalo Basin

This is a sundown viewed from one of the many Honolulu parking structures with great views, in this case a rooftop lot at a nearby grocery store. The cloud pattern was what caught my eye.

Monochrome Sunset

08-28-2017, 11:52 AM - 5 Likes   #2042
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Love those shots from Hawaii! Here are some taken with the K-5 and the 18-135 in 2011.

John

08-28-2017, 08:21 PM   #2043

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
Love those shots from Hawaii! Here are some taken with the K-5 and the 18-135 in 2011.

John
The rainbow over the Arizona memorial is poignant. Is that the lu'au lawn at the Royal Hawaiian?
08-28-2017, 08:35 PM   #2044

Out and about in Honolulu

Bride and Groom on Kilauea Ave

Plumeria flowers

Kilauea Avenue view

08-29-2017, 03:31 PM - 3 Likes   #2045
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Avon-Mt Hedrick State Park, Gippsland Victoria. (Some x-posted)

08-29-2017, 06:19 PM - 4 Likes   #2046
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sail Boats at their anchor moorings

08-30-2017, 12:28 PM - 2 Likes   #2047
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A couple of shots of Newhaven UK at 135mm, one reason this lens is so useful.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 

Last edited by Kevin B123; 08-30-2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: With attachments this time....
08-30-2017, 12:34 PM - 6 Likes   #2048
Pentaxian

K-3 and 18-135
ISO 200, ƒ8, AV, 1/30s to 1/1600s

After trying the K-1, the Q, the XG-1 the Optio 90W and Coolpix 130AW the K-3 and 18-135 remains king of the forest walk. Some images at 18mm lots of pseudo macro 135mm. No other lens or lens/camera combination can do what it does as easy as it does.

Lots of doggie picture for Rupert. We have to respect out elders.

Going for a walk, oh boy oh boy.

Into every life a few shrooms must intrude.

And a few leaves... fall colours are starting

Playing some ball at the gravel pit. An image claimed by some to be impossible to achieve with a Pentax.

There are still a few flowers.

Having a small pond to refresh in is an important part of a dog walk.

Jesse

More Flowers

More shrooms.

Up on the ridge...

After this it's just finding your way back home.

Many insult this lens, but i don't see them doing better with something else. Poor IQ my derriere!
08-30-2017, 01:00 PM   #2049
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Norm,
You have a lot to harvest, lucky you!. Do you do much in the way of PP, beyond crops and borders?
08-30-2017, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #2050
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Norm,
You have a lot to harvest, lucky you!. Do you do much in the way of PP, beyond crops and borders?
I have created presets for various situations, so every image has a preset applied, then usually just a bit of fine tuning. But usually not more than a minute per photo. The average for an image we think has "Print an sell" potential it's usually 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

A raw image (using Aperture) is probably going to need .5 contrast, plus 1 saturation, minimal sharpening and definition, levels will be initiated in the preset, but almost always needs adjustment. I have a shadows preset, a fall colours preset, +1 exposure sharpen and contrast, basic presets for he XG-1, K-3 and K-1. Anything I'm likely to need is in a preset. After that you almost always need a levels adjustment no matter what preset you use.

There are usually 5 steps to 7 steps in the preset, So I guess it's either a lot of work or a little work. It would be a lot more work starting from scratch with each image.

We rarely think "print and sell" these days. But once a year usually during the dead of winter, we go through our images and look for 3 or 4 we'd like to print, and the pay some attention to them..

Last edited by normhead; 08-30-2017 at 02:47 PM.
08-30-2017, 01:50 PM   #2051

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
K-3 and 18-135
ISO 200, ƒ8, AV, 1/30s to 1/1600s

After trying the K-1, the Q, the XG-1 the Optio 90W and Coolpix 130AW the K-3 and 18-135 remains king of the forest walk. Some images at 18mm lots of pseudo macro 135mm. No other lens or lens/camera combination can do what it does as easy as it does.

Many insult this lens, but i don't see them doing better with something else. Poor IQ my derriere!
Agreed. Great shots. Also, your flickr stream is criminally underappreciated.
08-30-2017, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #2052
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Weldon Berger Quote
Agreed. Great shots. Also, your flickr stream is criminally underappreciated.
That's fine with me.... a fortune cookie I got once said " You have a very small number of dedicated followers." I thought "perfect."
08-30-2017, 02:01 PM   #2053
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I have created presets for various situations, so every image has a preset applied, then usually just a bit of fine tuning. But usually not more than a minute per photo. The average for an image we think has "Print an sell" potential it's usually 45 minutes to an hour and a half.

I raw image (using Aperture) is probably going to need .5 contrast, plus 1 saturation, minimal sharpening and definition, levels will be initiated in the preset, but almost always needs adjustment. I have a shadows preset, a fall colours preset, +1 exposure sharpen and contrast, basic presets for he XG-1, K-3 and K-1. Anything I'm likely to need is in a preset. After that you almost always need a levels adjustment no matter what preset you use.

There are usually 5 steps to 7 steps in the preset, So I guess it's either a lot of work or a little work. It would be a lot more work starting from scratch with each image.

We rarely think "print and sell" these days. But once a year usually during the dead of winter, we go through our images and look for 3 or 4 we'd like to print, and the pay some attention to them..
I have yet to explore presets, so I take each image as it comes and I'm a bit wary of pushing the sliders too far. I guess it will come with experience. For me that is part of the fun now.
08-30-2017, 02:08 PM   #2054
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
I have yet to explore presets, so I take each image as it comes and I'm a bit wary of pushing the sliders too far. I guess it will come with experience. For me that is part of the fun now.
The first thing you do is push the slider all the way both ways, just to get a sense of what you can do. I usually take an image spend 15 or 20 minutes getting it the way I want it, and then select "Save as preset." and name it. So after working on say a "fall colours image" where I may boost the yellows , reds and greens, in the various colour channels and getting the image to sparkle, I save the preset as "Fall colours" then apply it to every similar image as a starting point.
08-30-2017, 02:15 PM - 4 Likes   #2055

Canoeing the river Wye
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo