Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #2191
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I would suppose that like all mass-produced products, there will occasionally be a lemon, but I think they are few and far between. However, all it takes is ONE and the word spreads like wildfire.
So true. If someone gets a decentered or unsharp copy (or what they think is one) they will repeat the complaint in every second post. (There was a guy here who endlessly repeated complaints about the 55-300.) If it happens to be a professional reviewer (Photozone??), the reputation of the lens can be trashed. But time sorts the wheat from the chaff - or as the saying goes, Truth is the daughter of Time. I think the body of experience with the DA 18-135 (well represented in this thread) is now such that people know it's a very good lens, and there's no reason to think that there is any higher proportion of duds than for any other consumer lens.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Several forum members have had lenses on the lower end of the scale.... there is a lot of room in what manufacturers consider to be "within spec." It doesn't matter what you buy, you have to be prepared to exchange one or possibly two to make sure you get a good copy.
It's a good reason to buy new from an authorized seller.
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The Tamron 70-200 is a great example of such a lens
The DA 20-40 Ltd is another example. There seemed to have been production quality issues, particularly early on - exacerbated by its high (excessive?) price at launch. Sandy - who's an excellent judge of lenses - sent his back. But the issues seem to have diminished over time and many users love it as much as the other DA Ltds. More realistic expectations help, as with the DA 18-135: for example, buyers should know that the 20-40 has a lot of field curvature, and that the 18-135 lacks edge/corner sharpness at the long end.

01-15-2018, 07:59 AM - 3 Likes   #2192

Big in Japan

I'm in Tokyo for a bit. I brought three lenses: the 18-135, the slow sigma 10-20, and the Pentax f/2.8 100mm macro WR. I've been here two weeks and haven't put the other two on the camera yet, although I did lug the sigma around for a day with every intention of using it. I've had things to do most days so I've mostly been shooting street stuff in the late afternoons or evenings. I'm sort of kicking myself for not bringing the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, but we had a quarrel before I left so it stayed home. Anyway, some random shots from around the city. I think the lens acquitted itself really well at night considering the lack of speed. Much credit to the K-3 also.

Young woman displaying the wares at a cotton candy shop in Harajuku, a young people's fashion redoubt.
1/50 @iso 1600

Harajuku cotton candy girl

Ueno Station is one of the larger hubs in the Tokyo rail system.
1/15 at @iso 1600

Ueno Station by night

Also in Harajuku
1/60 @iso 1600

Alice & friend in Harajuku, Tokyo

My favorite shot of the trip to date, from the cemetery in which the last shogun is memorialized.
1/50 @iso 200

Crow residing at Yanaka cemetery,

Kanamachi Station is the nearest rail stop to where I'm staying.
1/30 @iso 1600

Train passing Kanamachi Station
01-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #2193
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great examples of the lens. Street shooting requires a smaller aperture and zone focous, so a faster less would give you little advantage.
01-15-2018, 10:05 AM   #2194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Weldon Berger Quote
we had a quarrel before I left so it stayed home
I don't consider my lenses to be part of the family, that must be why I never have quarrels with them.

QuoteOriginally posted by Weldon Berger Quote
My favorite shot of the trip to date
It is very good! I can't see the EXIF info on Flickr, just curious what the focal length and aperture were.

01-15-2018, 04:55 PM   #2195

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I don't consider my lenses to be part of the family, that must be why I never have quarrels with them.

It is very good! I can't see the EXIF info on Flickr, just curious what the focal length and aperture were.
Thanks. It was 135mm at f/5.6. I was very happy with the depth of field.

I got the Tamron to replace the 18-135 for shooting in the low and often confused lighting of rock/pop concerts. It balks at focusing where I want it to focus often enough that I get frustrated, because there's so little room for error with the shallow depth of field. The low-light performance is better in consistent lighting but still lapses sometimes and focuses more slowly than the 18-135. I didn't want to spend any time on the trip being frustrated with anything but my own failings so I left it at home. More like an irritating employee than a member of the family
01-21-2018, 06:01 AM - 3 Likes   #2196
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

01-22-2018, 06:15 PM - 3 Likes   #2197
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't think this is the best composed thing I could have taken, but it got positive responses elsewhere online, so you all get to see it.

01-22-2018, 06:24 PM - 7 Likes   #2198

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
This was already posted in the Wildlife category but since it was taken with my favourite lens I'll share it here too. It was taken at the family cottage at Jessica Lake in the Whiteshell Provincial Park, MB, Canada. I entered it into the Cottagers Association's Annual photo contest and it won 1st place in the nature category (https://whiteshellcottagers.com/photo-contest/):

01-23-2018, 03:56 AM - 3 Likes   #2199
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Woolamai beach, Phillip Island, Victoria. (The second one is X-posted)

If the flags seem close together, there's a good reason for it. There have been two drownings at this beach in the last month.
01-23-2018, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #2200
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
If the flags seem close together, there's a good reason for it.
I've lived far inland all my life, am I correct in thinking swimming is only allowed during high tide and aren't the flag stands too short to provide decent depth of water for swimming while still being visible above the water?
01-23-2018, 07:53 AM   #2201
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've lived far inland all my life, am I correct in thinking swimming is only allowed during high tide and aren't the flag stands too short to provide decent depth of water for swimming while still being visible above the water?
Everywhere I've been it just marks the left right boundary where the life guards are watching. Narrower is less area to watch.
01-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #2202
Veteran Member

You don't actually swim between the physical flags, they are just markers that can be seen from the water and show the boundaries of the safe swimming area. Regarding tide cycles, I always swam in the sea (in the UK) on an incoming tide rather than an outgoing tide (but it's been 30+ years since I last did that).
01-23-2018, 09:33 AM - 3 Likes   #2203
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-3 & 18-135
01-23-2018, 10:02 AM - 5 Likes   #2204
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP and 18 -135
01-23-2018, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #2205
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
You don't actually swim between the physical flags, they are just markers that can be seen from the water and show the boundaries of the safe swimming area. Regarding tide cycles, I always swam in the sea (in the UK) on an incoming tide rather than an outgoing tide (but it's been 30+ years since I last did that).
For those that have done it know there is nothing compares to swimming in salt water of the ocean. Tako Kichi 30+ years is a long time since your last dip in the ocean maybe its time for you to head east to Nova Scotia or PEI in late July or August (water is warm enough by then) for another dip.