Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8906 Likes Search this Thread
01-23-2018, 03:03 PM - 1 Like   #2206
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I've lived far inland all my life, am I correct in thinking swimming is only allowed during high tide and aren't the flag stands too short to provide decent depth of water for swimming while still being visible above the water?
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Everywhere I've been it just marks the left right boundary where the life guards are watching. Narrower is less area to watch.
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
You don't actually swim between the physical flags, they are just markers that can be seen from the water and show the boundaries of the safe swimming area. Regarding tide cycles, I always swam in the sea (in the UK) on an incoming tide rather than an outgoing tide (but it's been 30+ years since I last did that).
Yes here too it's as UV and Tako Kichi describe. The surf patrol move the flags and their equipment up the beach if the tide comes in too far (in this photo the tide was right out).

There are generally only two lifeguards on duty at a time (and they aren't there every day, even in summer), so they mark out a manageable section to patrol. On some beaches the flags will be further apart (up to say 100m), but the many rips (strong off-shore currents) on this beach prompt them to keep the flags close together. This is quite a long beach (4.2kms) so most of it is unpatrolled at any time. It's not illegal to swim in an unpatrolled area, just dangerous for the inexperienced. An interesting explanation of rips here: How to spot a rip

Woolamai is renowned as a surf beach (it hosts some international competitions). People mostly surf the southern end of the beach, towards the headland (Cape Woolamai) shown in the first photo (well away from the patrolled swimming area). Surfers follow the surf conditions at different beaches (here's one of several sites as an example: AUSTRALIAN SURF CAMS & SURF REPORTS | Coastalwatch.com) as obsessively as skiers monitor snow conditions. People going surfing at the beginning or end of a working day is an Australian institution.

01-23-2018, 08:40 PM - 5 Likes   #2207
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sunset cloudscape. A panorama of 6 images, stitched with Microsoft ICE. K-S2 + DA 18-135 at 36mm, f8, 1/50th second, ISO 160.

01-24-2018, 02:29 AM - 7 Likes   #2208

In such sessions, I appreciate to have a WR all in one lens:

01-24-2018, 02:16 PM   #2209
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tatouzou Quote
In such sessions, I appreciate to have a WR all in one lens:
Excellent shots @Tatouzou. Looks like you were on the water yourself - very difficult to focus and compose photos in those conditions. You should cross-post in the yachts thread: Show your yachts, dinghies and sailing craft - PentaxForums.com

Good flare resistance in this lens and the quick focus is useful.

01-24-2018, 06:59 PM   #2210
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote

I don't think this is the best composed thing I could have taken, but it got positive responses elsewhere online, so you all get to see it.
Bad weather makes good pictures! please consider posting in the thread in my sig block below, that is a great shot.
01-25-2018, 03:32 AM - 1 Like   #2211

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Excellent shots @Tatouzou. Looks like you were on the water yourself - very difficult to focus and compose photos in those conditions. You should cross-post in the yachts thread: Show your yachts, dinghies and sailing craft - PentaxForums.com

Good flare resistance in this lens and the quick focus is useful.
Thank you Des, I did it!

---------- Post added 01-25-18 at 11:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
There have been a number of people who didn't like the 18-135 and sold them, Rondec among the more prominent ones that comes to mind, (but some people don't like even good copies.) so I suspect there have been a number of bad copies. There is with every lens. I'd take an image @24 mm, and check the corners. It should have excellent sharpness across the frame at ƒ8. If it is not it probably is not within factory spec. Also be aware of the possibility it will need front or back focus adjustment. Mine hasn't, but who knows? It could theoretically happen.
You posted some quite nice pictures in this thread, Normhead.

As for the DA18-135, though I have several other lenses, among with the very nice DA limited 15-21-35-70, and also the 40XS, it is my most used Pentax lens for its convenient focal range, fast focusing, nice rendering, WR and good to very good center sharpness.
When traveling to places I will go only once in a lifetime, it will always be stuck on my K3, yielding only at DA15 for large landscapes, at DA40 XS for low light, or at DA 55-300 for wildlife safaris.

But of course it is not a lens which will please pixel peepers, especially wide open in the corners. As for me, I never shoot brickwalls nor test charts, thus I dont care.

Though it may not be the best in everything it can do, DA 18-135 outperforms my skills.
01-25-2018, 04:00 PM - 8 Likes   #2212
Pentaxian

K-3 and DA 18-135
400 ISO ƒ8 AV mode

A short trip to see the sunset.

Starting at the bridge... looking both ways, up river and down river

Then over to Whitney Beach

From the Ministry Docks

The couple's resort

Images shot at 18-mm, and 135mm and various FLs in between. When conditions are changing quickly, changing lenses costs you images. I think this lens will probably always be my favourite walk around lens. There is absolutely nothing like the performance of this lens available for my K-1. To get the same images, I'd need two lenses.

Last edited by normhead; 01-26-2018 at 07:44 AM.
01-27-2018, 02:00 AM - 6 Likes   #2213
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Orlando, one of our friendly resident Grey-Shrike-thrush, perched on my leg. (Xposted from yard birds thread.) K-S2 + DA 18-135

Last edited by Des; 01-28-2018 at 11:38 PM.
01-27-2018, 11:54 AM   #2214
Pentaxian

This poll seriously needs some APS-c shooters. If you are interested, give us some APS-c votes.
https://www.murvey.com/s?5a6c5e956987a5df048fa8db
01-27-2018, 01:19 PM   #2215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
This poll seriously needs some APS-c shooters.
The survey is just for primes, I already have 8mm FE, 15mm, 35mm, 50mm, 70mm and 90mm macro covered for APS-C. I don't need a fast prime wider than 35mm and while I would definitely like something faster than the 55-300 for the long end, I want a single zoom that I can take with me instead of both a 200mm and a 300mm prime (and then I should probably get a fast 135mm prime as well). If I'm going to spend at least $1000 for a telephoto prime, I might as well hold off until I can afford a faster or longer zoom (and I will probably decide to upgrade my body before buying another lens). This year's tax refund is already spoken for several times over, but in a year or so I will looking for ways to justify buying the K-3 II successor.
01-28-2018, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #2216
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

01-28-2018, 02:14 PM - 3 Likes   #2217
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-50 + DA18-135WR first kit.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
01-28-2018, 04:13 PM   #2218
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
K-50 + DA18-135WR first kit.
Nice pictures. I like the juxtaposition of the second one, taken at 31mm, and the fourth one, taken at 115mm, both involving the same valley, I assume?
01-28-2018, 10:34 PM - 4 Likes   #2219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Out skiing today with K-3 & 18-135

01-29-2018, 02:46 PM - 4 Likes   #2220

Angel of the North