Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2018, 11:05 AM - 2 Likes   #2521
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
She looks a little cutie, and will be a lot of fun.
What breed is she?, the puppy fat and ear size make me think she is a medium sized breed.
Since she was a stray, we have no idea as to her parentage. She has the long body and short legs of a Dachshund, but the face of a terrier of some sort. I suspect some of both!

John

07-29-2018, 12:07 PM   #2522
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
I don't know, I guess not. But I could certainly have restored some pop with the saturation and vibrancy sliders. And for the next time I'll just try to get the exposure correct (wrt the subject, not the whole frame) when taking the picture
I don't know how many shots I've ruined shooting against a bright sky like that, so I definitely know the feeling. All in all, I wouldn't be disappointed with the first ones you posted (but then I usually prefer slightly underexposed shots). Also, framing and capturing small birds is never easy, so kudos for doing it so well!
07-29-2018, 03:38 PM - 1 Like   #2523
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use DxO which lets me adjust Highlights, Midtones, Shadows and Blacks separately from each other. I raised the Shadows for the overall photos and loaded the original and the boosted ones as layers into GIMP, where I masked out just the bird / the insect with a layer mask and a brush. These are the results of that process:
But I could certainly have restored some pop with the saturation and vibrancy sliders. And for the next time I'll just try to get the exposure correct (wrt the subject, not the whole frame) when taking the picture
They are all an improvement on the original, particularly the first two. A little extra vibrancy might help but I wouldn't increase the saturation. If you deepen the blacks a little you might get more apparent contrast back.

I use DxO as well. One thing to try (assuming you have PhotoLab or a recent version of Optics Pro) is under "Smart Lighting", click the "Spot Weighted" button and select the darkest point on the subject (using the "Tool" button). Then try Medium or Strong mode. That should help. If you have PhotoLab, you could also try using "Local adjustments"; select the area to lighten using AutoMask, then adjust the exposure.

It's always tricky dealing with a subject in deep shadow against a bright background. Often you have no choice. Fill flash does help a lot if you don't overdo it. The trouble with flash is that you are usually limited to the flash sync speed (1/180th second on the K-S2), so you are at risk of subject movement or camera movement. The only way to get a faster shutter with fill flash is to use an external flash which does HSS - and that is quite distance-limited.
07-29-2018, 03:42 PM - 7 Likes   #2524
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

07-30-2018, 11:17 AM - 6 Likes   #2525
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

07-30-2018, 02:32 PM   #2526
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Fine pair of images UV. Always striking how well this lens does portraits. The thread overall probably doesn't represent how much the 18-135 is actually used for portraits - probably because they are disproportionately shots of family and friends and not intended for publication.

Last edited by Des; 07-30-2018 at 02:38 PM.
07-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #2527
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Fine pair of images UV. Always striking how well this lens does portraits. The thread overall probably doesn't reflect that strength.
I agree that this is a much better portrait lens than most give it credit for. However the trend towards bokeh being king in portraits may have a bit to do with it. Selecting an appropriate background goes a long way.

07-30-2018, 11:56 PM - 3 Likes   #2528
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Rhyll jetty, Phillip Island, Victoria (x-posted)

07-31-2018, 04:02 AM - 2 Likes   #2529
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Managed to capture these cropped images (approx 25% of original) of this fellow with supper last evening through a screen door
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
07-31-2018, 05:03 AM   #2530
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NS_Sailor Quote
Managed to capture these cropped images (approx 25% of original) of this fellow with supper last evening through a screen door
Through a screen door? So you just focused through it? If so, I'm amazed that these are reasonably sharp. Well done! That must be like a very rudimentary ND filter, i suppose?`
08-01-2018, 03:03 AM   #2531
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Rhyll jetty, Phillip Island, Victoria (x-posted)

I particularly like the shadows on picture two. Hell of a lens. I am playing with a new 21mm limited but find myself hankering for my 18-135 again
08-01-2018, 02:50 PM   #2532
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I particularly like the shadows on picture two. Hell of a lens. I am playing with a new 21mm limited but find myself hankering for my 18-135 again
Thanks for your comment. Yes I loved the shadows too. Tweaked the tone curve a little in post, but even SOOC it was very good. The first two of these shots were at 36mm f11 and the third at 24mm f8, which are pretty much optimal settings for resolution on the 18-135. At these settings, and in these sorts of conditions, I think there wouldn't be much difference between the 18-135 and your 21 Ltd or my 20-40 Ltd - which is some tribute to the 18-135.
08-11-2018, 07:33 AM - 5 Likes   #2533
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

08-11-2018, 08:37 AM - 8 Likes   #2534
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sunset yesterday. Another great reason to adopt a dog, he shares this with you

---------- Post added 08-11-18 at 08:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote

I love the colour contrast. These pictures are so sharp!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo   
08-15-2018, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #2535
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Love the chooks @PepperberryFarm - you should cross-post in the farm animals thread.