Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2020, 05:05 PM - 4 Likes   #3181
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,371
Good skiing in the backcountry today. But cold!




01-12-2020, 05:48 PM - 1 Like   #3182
Pentaxian
timb64's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Here, there and everywhere.(Although less so at present!)
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,417
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Good skiing in the backcountry today. But cold!


Wow,beautiful conditions!
01-15-2020, 01:21 PM - 2 Likes   #3183
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,185
Harbor flowers - DA18-135 on K10D:
01-15-2020, 02:26 PM - 2 Likes   #3184
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,687
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
But cold!
Probably not -37 C (-35 F) cold.

That's what it was at 12:14PM today, I decided to test the K-30 with this lens after being left outside for 45 minutes (to make sure there was no frost on the glass). We have a high efficiency furnace that exhausts through a 3" plastic pipe instead of a chimney. I think the AF was affected by the temperature, the camera indicated the focus point was the built-up ice, not the handlebar.



01-15-2020, 03:10 PM   #3185
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,371
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Probably not -37 C (-35 F) cold.

That's what it was at 12:14PM today, I decided to test the K-30 with this lens after being left outside for 45 minutes (to make sure there was no frost on the glass). We have a high efficiency furnace that exhausts through a 3" plastic pipe instead of a chimney. I think the AF was affected by the temperature, the camera indicated the focus point was the built-up ice, not the handlebar.
No it was not that cold and I probably would not ski in that unless I had to (like to get back to civilization). We only occasionally see anything below -30 F, like once every few years.
My ski day started at 9 F and warmed up to 14. On a mountainside with a breeze when dressed for some hard cardio work that feels pretty chilly!
Do you get those temps often or sustained?
01-15-2020, 03:31 PM   #3186
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,687
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Do you get those temps often or sustained?
Only during the winter. Our climate changes, some years we dip below -30 only for a few days (with daytime highs around -28C/-18F) , some years it spends a couple of weeks in that range. The coldest I've ever experienced was -47C/-53F for two mornings in a row while I was working in northern Alberta and northern BC. I've done downhill skiing at Sunshine and Lake Louise at -25C/-13F and struggled to keep my eyelids from freezing shut, nordic skiing should be fine even at -40, if you have good circulation in your feet (but I've never tested that theory).
01-15-2020, 03:54 PM   #3187
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,371
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Only during the winter. Our climate changes, some years we dip below -30 only for a few days (with daytime highs around -28C/-18F) , some years it spends a couple of weeks in that range. The coldest I've ever experienced was -47C/-53F for two mornings in a row while I was working in northern Alberta and northern BC. I've done downhill skiing at Sunshine and Lake Louise at -25C/-13F and struggled to keep my eyelids from freezing shut, nordic skiing should be fine even at -40, if you have good circulation in your feet (but I've never tested that theory).
You're going to need some Ultra Blue wax for those temps or the skis will not glide!
Even if we are in a period of extreme cold it will usually come up to something like -15 during the day but then plunge back down if the nights are clear. More typically, it's in the negative teens in the night/morning warming to the positive teens during the day. That's not bad by my standards.
01-17-2020, 11:45 AM   #3188
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,185
A June sunset - DA18-135 on K10D:


01-20-2020, 11:40 AM - 2 Likes   #3189
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,185
Jeannie lounging on the porch swing - DA18-135 on K10D:
01-20-2020, 10:24 PM - 3 Likes   #3190
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 9,371
More backcountry skiing today.








01-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #3191
Pentaxian
paulh's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: DFW Texas/Ventura County, CA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,185
Bright sun and dark clouds - DA18-135 on K10D:
01-29-2020, 12:36 AM - 2 Likes   #3192
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
rayallen's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Forresters Beach, Central Coast, NSW, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,516
A discarded share bike in the Sydney CBD. It makes me angry that people think it is OK to just leave them like this and walk away.

01-29-2020, 04:04 AM - 1 Like   #3193
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 71
QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
A discarded share bike in the Sydney CBD. It makes me angry that people think it is OK to just leave them like this and walk away.
We have the same problem with electric scooters. These are a hazard that should never have been approved.
02-01-2020, 06:58 PM - 8 Likes   #3194
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Des's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Sth Gippsland Victoria Australia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 4,255
Waratah Bay, Victoria. KP + DA 18-135
02-01-2020, 09:17 PM   #3195
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
RGlasel's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Saskatoon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,687
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Waratah Bay, Victoria. KP + DA 18-135
I really like the way you processed this image, the high contrast shows off the grains of sand and the dark wavy ridges give the picture lots of depth.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
balance, bike, creek, da, dog, exposure, factory, flickr, house, k-mount, nov, pentax lens, philippines, pm, post, scenes, shot, shots, slr lens, snow, subject, sun, tamron, tool, tower, trail, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XR Rikenon 135/2.8 OR Carl Zeiss Jena 135/3.5 (zebra) adicaciula Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 02-20-2012 02:29 AM
Takumar 135 2.5 vs Super Tak 135 3.5, both bayonet mount, which is better? chongmic Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 7 04-09-2011 11:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top