View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-16-2015, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #1022
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
04-16-2015, 03:02 PM - 3 Likes   #1023
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let's add my 2 cents along this great thread... (NOTE, THIS IS A SMALL CROP FROM THE WHOLE FRAME, ABOUT 1/3 AREA OF THE FULL FRAME)
of course, with my DA 18-135 and K3 body to match!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-18-2015, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #1024
Veteran Member

Flower power nice

Yes, it's wet I love the from the lens colours!

04-19-2015, 02:54 AM   #1025
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cake Quote
In the mountains.....plus some PP in Lightroom
The lens has nice blue sky!
04-19-2015, 04:46 PM - 1 Like   #1026
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Enjoying some nice spring powder today.

04-19-2015, 08:11 PM   #1027
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Ha, at least you can brag about having an excellent LBA control.

We know everyone gives in eventually. Still no known cure!!!!

It took me just 20 pages of this thread to give into the insomnia, night sweats, lack of concentration, jitters and dry mouth normally caused by severe LBA episodes. I enden up getting my fix of DA 18-135... with a K3 body to match....

All good for the time being... but its only a matter of time when the LBA nightmare will attack again!!!
lol that is so true I thought it was just me . I didn't know their was a name for it . I started twitching when I read about and watched youtube videos about the K10D in 2006 I think it was . I really liked that it had seals and the promise of sealed lens in the future. shake reduction in the camera so I could use older lens and still have shake reduction and one thing I had never heard of before and that was the TAv mode and that it could be controlled by a range you picked. I thought that was just the best idea ever .because I shot a lot of my girls on the soccer field and I wanted to keep the shutter speed and aperture the same but found I was having to constantly adjust my exposure from the sunny side of the field to the shady side. So I got the camera and it worked great. I set my shutter speed and aperture in manual mode to the center exposure mark in the view finder and set the iso to 100 going more for movement then I turned to TAv and turned the camera to the dark side of the field and the only thing that changed was the iso to about 400 I think was the highest it went . I thought this was the best thing ever now all I had to do was point and shoot I didn't know if I was using it the right way or not but it worked and they turned out pretty good for a beginner. I showed all the other dads this feature because they were fighting the same thing I was before I got my Pentax .I remember they started looking for that setting on there cameras lol. They had cameras that was 2 times the price of mine and it didn't have a TAv mode . Then I think it was 2009 they finely came out with a wr lens so I got the 2.8 100mm wr because I found I was shooting at that mm most of the time and at the time it was the cheapest 2.8 wr. I was the only patient taking photos on the field during the rainy soccer games which was a lot . I loved my k10D and my 100mm wr lens . Now I have 10 lens and a new k3 and I can't help it I want another one the 18-135 mm wr . I think I got what ever you called it bad .I'm glad to know I'm not alone . What does LBA stand for .

04-19-2015, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #1028
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxk3user Quote
......What does LBA stand for .

LBA: Lens Buying Addiction
CBA: Camera Buying Addiction

Its like herpes... it was once considered a "shame" disease. Now its not only socially accepted, but sometimes actually mandatory in order to be accepted among certain elite groups!
04-21-2015, 05:38 AM   #1029
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
LBA: Lens Buying Addiction
CBA: Camera Buying Addiction

Its like herpes... it was once considered a "shame" disease. Now its not only socially accepted, but sometimes actually mandatory in order to be accepted among certain elite groups!
I may be showing my age here, but I wouldn't actually equate it to a STD. Perhaps more like a Red Badge of Courage, like when the checkbook goes into the Red!
04-21-2015, 12:12 PM - 2 Likes   #1030
Pentaxian

Love the versatility of this lens

04-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #1031
Veteran Member

Here are a few shots taken with the SMC 18-135WR in Hawaii - it was the only lens I took on that trip for the K-5. It was a great choice for its versatility - and I never had to change lenses in that rainy climate.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-23-2015, 03:07 AM   #1032
Veteran Member

How can be the second MUCH sharper on the right side?

04-23-2015, 01:26 PM - 1 Like   #1033

18-135 zoom-blur

Today I set up my K5iis on a tripod, settings were ISO80 1/4Sec f/22
These are my first attempts at zoom-blur effect.

Just another reason to love this lens!
04-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #1034
Veteran Member

Haha what about zoom in the rain?
04-25-2015, 05:32 PM   #1035
Veteran Member

Hey gang

I just picked up one of these lenses.

Originally I was going to get something later in the summer, as I'm heading to Burning Man and I've read plenty about how the dust there eats everything alive. At first I was really intent on getting the 16-85, but I wanted more reach. After some consideration (including just getting the K-S2 along with the new 18-50 WR + a 55-300 HD, and even switching to Olympus to get their WR superzoom) I went with the 18-135. I came across one in a local store for a good deal so I snapped it up. I should add, the fine examples in this thread helped sway me to that decision.

First impressions:

- Sharpness is okay. I've tested it against my DA 18-250 and in their common focal lengths, it's hard to tell which lens is better without some pixel peeping. I feel that at 18mm, the 18-135 wins in center sharpness by a bit, but surprisingly, the 18-250 is a tiny bit better in the corners. It's kind of negligible though. At longer focal lengths (common range) the 18-135 is a tiny bit better, but again it's not super obvious (requires pixel peeping). I plan on getting a K-S2 before the year is out, and so it should get a nice sharpness boost then.

- The silent focusing is nice. I didn't think it would be that big a deal at first, as I've used the 18-250 extensively and never been bothered with the screw drive, but I have to admit the silent focusing is growing on me. I do miss the long reach though.

- The WR seals are reassuring. It's nice to see the gasket around the inner zoom barrel, as I've always felt that was a major weak point in any lens that physically zooms in and out. I can't see any on the smaller inner barrel, but I assume there is one there. I actually tried to find a diagram of the 18-135 showing all the seals when zoomed out (all I could find was a seal diagram when it's fully retracted in). Nonetheless I've seen enough videos of Pentax WR to feel confident that the lens and camera won't fail during extreme weather.

I'll be using the 18-135 more and more in the coming few weeks, and hopefully I'll be able to start adding to this thread.