Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
Nice to have a sealed lens out on the hill. Snow was blowing around a lot today. The skiing was nice!
Looks like it will make a decent starburst at f/13.

That is a FANTASTIC image.

I had a big hate-on for this lens because I perceived it to be a poor lens based on its optical performance relative to its cost (a poor review from a particular well-known review site also fed that perception). Though I saw many good-great pictures taken with this lens online, many examples of which are in this thread, I never really saw any pictures that made me go WOW.

That is, until I saw your picture. Just awesome. I love imagery of things blowing around in the wind such as leaves, snow, dust, etc. and this image is an excellent example of that. Good job.

My personal rating for this lens has now been upgraded to "decent value given its price".

12-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EarlVonTapia Quote
Thanks! I love suspended snow or leaves too. Such a fleeting moment to catch.
The skiing has been pretty nice recently. Here's another from a Christmas day ski. Fun!

The more I shoot with this lens the more I like it. I was on the fence a first but have now decided it's a keeper!

Last edited by mattb123; 12-26-2012 at 08:24 AM.
01-01-2013, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #78
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Firebending

On a beach in Thailand, every night, the show goes on.

Last edited by zantaphia; 01-01-2013 at 04:40 AM. Reason: added 1 more photo
01-01-2013, 09:47 AM - 2 Likes   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cool fire shots!

Here's the kind of conditions I felt like I needed a WR lens for. From my NYE day hike and ski. (x-post from DA zoom thread)

01-01-2013, 11:49 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On a very gray day

01-04-2013, 12:34 AM   #81
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It shoots forests...

It's a 9773 x 4739 stitch job by the way :-)
01-04-2013, 06:42 AM   #82

Beautiful pictures in this thread.
I'm getting the 18-135mm bundled with my new K-5
Has anybody tested the WR or IQ in the weather?
I'd really love to see some shots taken in the rain!
How much rain can the WR lens/body cope with before it passes the point of "resistance" and starts being defined as "waterproof"?

01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #83
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
How much rain can the WR lens/body cope with before it passes the point of "resistance" and starts being defined as "waterproof"?
It rains a lot where I'm from. I use it with the K5 and have never had a problem no matter how much it rained. I wipe it down when I get indoors and let it dry before taking out the SD card.

01-04-2013, 11:17 AM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

I had a big hate-on for this lens because I perceived it to be a poor lens based on its optical performance relative to its cost (a poor review from a particular well-known review site also fed that perception). Though I saw many good-great pictures taken with this lens online, many examples of which are in this thread, I never really saw any pictures that made me go WOW.

That is, until I saw your picture. Just awesome. I love imagery of things blowing around in the wind such as leaves, snow, dust, etc. and this image is an excellent example of that. Good job.

My personal rating for this lens has now been upgraded to "decent value given its price".
I'll say right up front that I don't know much about lenses. I bought the K-30 kit w/ 18-135 WR lens and it took some very good pictures. However, and not until I had it for a couple months or so, did I notice that the sharpness wasn't uniform across the image. It turned out it was de-centered and Pentax adjusted it under warranty. Now it's much better.

This is my way of wondering if some of the weaker reviews were based on lenses with the same slight problem. It wouldn't automatically show up to the causal eye but on a reviewer's test rig it would certainly have garnered the demerits.
01-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #85
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by IchabodCrane Quote
I'll say right up front that I don't know much about lenses. I bought the K-30 kit w/ 18-135 WR lens and it took some very good pictures. However, and not until I had it for a couple months or so, did I notice that the sharpness wasn't uniform across the image. It turned out it was de-centered and Pentax adjusted it under warranty. Now it's much better.

This is my way of wondering if some of the weaker reviews were based on lenses with the same slight problem. It wouldn't automatically show up to the causal eye but on a reviewer's test rig it would certainly have garnered the demerits.
I think you may very well be correct...
However, neither case is very flattering to Pentax. Either a poor lens or poor quality control.
01-04-2013, 01:08 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
I'm getting the 18-135mm bundled with my new K-5
I'd really love to see some shots taken in the rain!
I think I have. My recent cows in the snow shot in this thread was a pretty extreme weather condition. It was snowing REALLY hard when I took that. I probably would have left the camera in my jacket if I didn't have a WR lens on it. Noticeable snow accumulated on top of the lens for the short time I had it up to my eye for that shot.
I've also shot in heavy midwestern fall rain in Michigan, keeping it out for an hour or so in a heavy deluge. The shots came out very nicely and the gear all survived without any issues. I just wiped it off when I got back inside.
I wish the DA Limited lenses were WR too!
01-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #87
Veteran Member

I recently came back from a trip that involved going up some cold, snowy mountains. I brought my 18-55 WR and the DA 55-300 with me. We got to our cabin and set out for one of the peaks. I started with the DA 55-300, but when we got to the top, I had to switch to the 18-55 WR to get some of those nice wide views. However, on the way down I ended up switching again to the DA 55-300. It was really annoying changing lenses in the snow.

I think the 18-135 would have performed admirably there. Perhaps it's time to upgrade the 18-55 WR.
01-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #88
Veteran Member

I recently came back from a trip that involved going up some cold, snowy mountains. I brought my 18-55 WR and the DA 55-300 with me. We got to our cabin and set out for one of the peaks. I started with the DA 55-300, but when we got to the top, I had to switch to the 18-55 WR to get some of those nice wide views. However, on the way down I ended up switching again to the DA 55-300. It was really annoying changing lenses in the snow.

I think the 18-135 would have performed admirably there. Perhaps it's time to upgrade the 18-55 WR.
That's a significant advantage of the 18-135 vs. 18-55 + 50-200mm. Who wants to change lenses in the rain and snow?
01-07-2013, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #89
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tbone51 Quote
Thanks for your comments
Where was this taken? - it;s lovely and well photographed too!
01-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #90
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One from a walk in the snow today. Found some shelter here.
This is at 18mm